ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade" - Page 8 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > General Technical Section - ask the Experts! > Tyres / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension / Gearbox

Old 18-02-2008, 22:40   #246
Christina
You give me road rage...

Christina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Got round to fitting the clutch kit yesterday. Very pleased with the result.

A big thanks to sheddist for the time and effort in developing this upgrade. And thanks to Shantung Black Tiger who popped round and gave us a hand! (Good bloke to know if you are short of a socket or two. )

I am now nursing a bruise the size of a grapefruit on my ribcage through getting in and out of the footwell. (should have employed a small child.)
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-02-2008, 23:21   #247
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post

A big thanks to sheddist for the time and effort in developing this upgrade. And thanks to Shantung Black Tiger who popped round and gave us a hand! (Good bloke to know if you are short of a socket or two. )

I am now nursing a bruise the size of a grapefruit on my ribcage through getting in and out of the footwell. (should have employed a small child.)
It makes a huge difference to driving the car doesn't it? And how do you think I felt after climbing in and out of the footwell. You are a waif compared to me.
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 10:14   #248
Shantung Black Tiger

Shantung Black Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutShantung Black Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutShantung Black Tiger has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Not a problem I assume it worked out ok the next mornign when you put all the loose parts back in and went for a test run? Did you need to bleed it out any more? Hopefully when I do mine I can get an attachment for my auto-bleed kit and take out the long boring part.

Old 19-02-2008, 12:09   #249
Christina
You give me road rage...

Christina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond repute

Alan. Yes the car feels loads better to drive. Clutch pedal and gear changes are a lot smoother and less of a strain on the old left leg.

Adam. I did leave it until the next morning to finish off cos I was freezing. Fitted the pedal stop and adjusted the clevis pin. This took all free play out of the pedal. Tried bleeding a bit more and it seemed fine but I'll try bleeding again in a few days. Once my ribs have healed I may try fitting the shorter clevis to drop the pedal height a bit more but it is fine for now.
Old 19-02-2008, 13:50   #250
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Alan. Yes the car feels loads better to drive. Clutch pedal and gear changes are a lot smoother and less of a strain on the old left leg.

Adam. I did leave it until the next morning to finish off cos I was freezing. Fitted the pedal stop and adjusted the clevis pin. This took all free play out of the pedal. Tried bleeding a bit more and it seemed fine but I'll try bleeding again in a few days. Once my ribs have healed I may try fitting the shorter clevis to drop the pedal height a bit more but it is fine for now.
The shorter clevis was causing some people to have trouble selecting gears (me included), thats why nigel puts the longer one in. But some cars were fine, so try it and see. Now you know what you are doing in the footwell it's only a 10 minute job to swap them over.
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 09:41   #251
R8NMG
MKII MGZS180

R8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud of

Does anyone ever needed to top up fluid in the reservoir? My fluid was about half way down but I have now brimmed to the top again. There appears to be no apparent leaks visible from places where you would expect.
R8NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 10:01   #252
Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
Does anyone ever needed to top up fluid in the reservoir? My fluid was about half way down but I have now brimmed to the top again. There appears to be no apparent leaks visible from places where you would expect.
Can't say I've had to top up, and it's been a few months since I've fitted the kit?
Old 18-03-2008, 19:10   #253
Sie214
He Urinates 98 RON Petrol!!!!

Sie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
Mines same mate. crazy i have no visable leaks either!?

Sie

Fettled '05 VW Golf GTI
Sie214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 19:33   #254
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

blue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond repute

Yup- periodically have to top my reservoir up too!- again i can't see any leaks anywhere so not sure where the fluid is going- but tbh i'm not worried either!

Do find that after a while the fluid goes black in colour- but i do recall Nigel explaining that one a while back!

The longer clevis pin kit deffo improved my gear changes and got them just how i want them- was never 100% happy before tbh as the change seemed to baulk just a bit too often for my liking!

14.4 @ 102mph - nailing good 60ft's is a cow

Chrono Yellow FL LCR - turbo power is just so addictive!!!
blue harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 19:52   #255
Sie214
He Urinates 98 RON Petrol!!!!

Sie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to behold

Probably the Fluid braking down as it gets used and oil.

Sie

Fettled '05 VW Golf GTI
Sie214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 20:39   #256
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

sheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant future

The fluid will go black because of the amount of slave cylinder travel. it picks up the graphite from the cast iron. In brakes, especially disks, there is much less movement.

If you suspect a leak, check the connection between the reservoir and fitting that the pipe to the master cylinder is fitted to. It may need tightening a little.
Old 18-03-2008, 21:15   #257
R8NMG
MKII MGZS180

R8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud of

The reason I asked the question because I was not completely happy about the bleeding of the clutch last time during fitment. In the back of my mind I always felt there is some trapped air in the system leading to lower fluid in the reservoir. The gear change is abit notchy at times. I might bleed the system again in the summer.
Old 18-03-2008, 21:45   #258
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

blue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond repute

I re-bleed mine every year just to be safe! Makes sense as brake fluid takes on water over time!

Only thing i might change is the wee pipe between the slave & the flexi hose as i've pratted around with it a few times now, and the angle it's coming out of the union on the back of the flexi isn't quite right, and i dunno how much more i dare tweak it!?!?!

14.4 @ 102mph - nailing good 60ft's is a cow

Chrono Yellow FL LCR - turbo power is just so addictive!!!
blue harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 11:21   #259
R8NMG
MKII MGZS180

OK back to the oil thing again.

After a week and it needed slight filling up. Still no evidence of leaking at any joints. The slave cylinder push rod is covered with the ribbed sleeve and as I try to push the sleeve back, there is oil coming out. Just enough oil to start squirting out and dripped out. It is not noticable at first without messing about with the sleeve. Is that normal, I suppose oil will ease movement to the push rod?
Old 22-03-2008, 18:40   #260
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

sheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant future

There is a little oil lubricating the slave. Also, I add some silicone grease and graphite powder where the push rod and piston swivel. It may be possible that the slave cylinder seals are tired. Keep us posted.
Old 31-03-2008, 15:56   #261
Dogsoldier

Dogsoldier is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

hi guys new to forum as have been searching for solutions to my problem with my ZS 180 . yup you guessed it is the horrible clutch . the Master cylinder mounting bracket broke , the gear changes have been dodgey to say the least for ages, reading this thread found its a common problem , i hope the sheddist conversion is still available , i,m going to pm him as seems to be the advice on here , cheers for now
Dogsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 22:05   #262
Christina
You give me road rage...

Hope you get sorted! I've fitted the kit myself to our mk2 and it's a great upgrade as far as the oe system is concerned. It's relatively easy to do as sheddist has done some excellent instructions.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 01-04-2008, 13:15   #263
Kel
British and proud!

Kel will become famous soon enoughKel will become famous soon enough

Yep sheddist,seems like there are two more kits needed,i have pm'd you for one
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 19:09   #264
lewerty1

Tournaments Won: 2

lewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to behold

are n e more goin to be made???
lewerty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 20:43   #265
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

More are underway.
PMs have been sent to the most deserving cases
Old 11-04-2008, 21:24   #266
Christina
You give me road rage...

Good work, Nigel.

Your hard work is truly appreciated.
Old 14-04-2008, 14:47   #267
Kel
British and proud!

Kel will become famous soon enoughKel will become famous soon enough
Question Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheddist View Post
More are underway.
PMs have been sent to the most deserving cases
Sheddist i have pm'd and emailed you for a kit,how do you work out if your a deserving case.As i have had no pm back,do i take it as a member with a hydrolic clutch problem im not a deserving case or is this a mates only thing ?
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 17:37   #268
patpending
wacky racer

patpending is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue harbour View Post
Indeed- here's hoping were on the verge of finally seeing an end to story's of folk- with 180's- with busted clutch hydraulics!(of those that frequent the forum anyway!)

Fingers crossed peeps!
The quote is from August 2006. My Zed just stuck in traffic with this failure, with no warning. We're not there yet!

I would have suggested a JV with sheddist and Lord Paul of Stowe but nowadays, that would mean we would have to drive taxis!

Look forward to hearing if any kits might be available, having PMd sheddist...
Old 10-05-2008, 19:15   #269
Dave V6
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute

mine failed again today in the same way as last time ,the small length of copper pipe that joins onto cylinder that pushes arm in and out ,just failed on joint again .Im going to get a reinforced rubber one made up .Luckily id had a spare made up so a quick fix later and i was back out on track.

Old 10-05-2008, 19:36   #270
patpending
wacky racer

patpending is on a distinguished road

What's interesting is that I've lost no hydraulic fluid...
Old 17-05-2008, 10:30   #271
Guesty
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....

Guesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud ofGuesty has much to be proud of

Hiya - I've PM'd a few weeks ago - no reply! If you don't want to do any more just let me know and I'll look elsewhere.

Cheers

ZR 105
ZS 120
ZT 120
MGTF 135 X2
ZT - T 160t
ZS 180 (my true love)
A RUSTY MGF VVC
Guesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 17:00   #272
rjday
V8. What a sound

rjday is on a distinguished road

Just fitted one of Nigel's kits in three hours today. A bit slower than some but I didn't exactly bust a gut.

What a difference this has made, and only just in time. The original master cylinder was showing ligns of leakage.

I have total confidence in this upgrade and can recomend it to anyone. It is once more a pleasure to drive the car.

Many many thanks Nigel.
Old 31-05-2008, 22:09   #273
bigfella
bigfella-network.co.uk

bigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond repute

I had to wait a bit for mine but understand that its difficult to source parts, work, and get stuff sent off quickly sometimes.

Nigel will get back to you I'm sure.

------------------------
Mk1 MG ZS 180 2003 - BRG

bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 12:17   #274
Sambo1981

Tournaments Won: 1

Sambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud of

I think I set a new record for time taken to fit.....

9 hours. Yup I am a complete muppet. Some of that was waiting for bleed kit, re-routing copper pipe to attach to fuel filter bolt, then bleeding with a leak, then finding another leak, then finally reading this thread again til I found the post about adjusting the clevis pin out a bit.

Oh, and my dad's face when i forgot to reset the immobiliser fob was priceless.

Cheers, car is feeling great now. Just need some fine tuning to drop the pedal and bite point.

Any ideas for what to do with the old parts?

(if Witness reads this: I am still happy to help with yours, but understand if you would rather ask someone else )
Sambo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 12:33   #275
R8NMG
MKII MGZS180

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquor-then-poker View Post
I think I set a new record for time taken to fit.....9 hours. Yup I am a complete muppet.
Glad to know I am not the only muppet on here

It took me 9 hrs too to fit it and even the sun called it a day and I was eventually working in the dark. It took some time figuring out what was what and finally seeing how flex the OE bracket was. The bleeding didn't take me long but it was removing the master cylinder and tightening the screw on the leak.
Old 16-06-2008, 19:33   #276
Graven

Graven is a glorious beacon of lightGraven is a glorious beacon of lightGraven is a glorious beacon of lightGraven is a glorious beacon of lightGraven is a glorious beacon of light

it's been a while since I posted here. I've had 2 failures in a year (almost exactly to the day). Both the cylinders have been replaced, but the bracket holding the slave is no longer available her in Holland, or in the UK. I have absolutely no confidence in the clutch anymore.

I've contacted sheddist, and he'll send me a kit soon. I hope this will sort out the problems for a long long time thanks to sheddist!!
Old 23-06-2008, 20:40   #277
Sambo1981

Tournaments Won: 1

Sambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud ofSambo1981 has much to be proud of

I had issues selecting second so I raised by bite-point by 1 full turn of the clevis. Much better.
Sambo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 21:07   #278
Platinum

Platinum will become famous soon enough

Is a bleeding kit required, or can it be done without one?

If the latter, are instructions included for those who are not mechanically minded?

Thanks.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 21:21   #279
DeMoNPauL
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180

DeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond repute

If i remember correctly all instructions including the bleeding are on the cd.

You will find it far quicker to have a couple of mates to give you a hand.

One to pump the pedal
One to top up fluid
One to work bleed nipple

But it can be done with 2
Janspeed 6-2-1 Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold
ITG Maxogen Open Cone piped to inner wing
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Matt Neal Limited Edition Alloys
Vredestein Giugiaro Ultrac Tyres
Lowered 30mm on (Motobuild Koni) Springs
Stainless Steel Catch Tank
Sheddists Clutch Kit
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Philips X-treme Power Headlight bulbs
Customised Engine Cover
Tinted Windows
Rear parking sensors

Team Bobin Head
http://teamvalleylandrover.co.uk/ - MG Rover/Landrover XPART Auto Service Centre
http://www.hiperformanceautocentres.co.uk/ - MG Rover XPART Auto Service Centre
www.exv-mobile.co.uk - Mobile valeter in the Kent Area

DeMoNPauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 21:43   #280
Platinum

Platinum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMoNPauL View Post
If i remember correctly all instructions including the bleeding are on the cd.

You will find it far quicker to have a couple of mates to give you a hand.

One to pump the pedal
One to top up fluid
One to work bleed nipple

But it can be done with 2
Thanks.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote