ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade" - Page 6 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > General Technical Section - ask the Experts! > Tyres / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension / Gearbox

Old 10-04-2007, 18:04   #176
sunbod

sunbod is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Just another greatfull owner saying thanks to Sheddist.

Clutch ended up so flat I couldn't get any gears.

Fitted the kit with a friend, took about 3 hours in total. Took about an hour to get the system filled and bled nicely, finally found to get rid of the last set of small air bubbles I had to pump the peddle about half a doozen times then release the bleed nipple lots of frothy fluid released.. clutch now feels better than the original did.

Only other stumbling block was trying to get the master cylinder out, didn't quite read the instructions correctly the cylinder uncscrews/clips form the bracket wich bolts it to the bulck head giving it space to come out.

Over all simple enough to fit, just followed instructions, and works like a treat.

It's not until you pull the original stuff out and compare it to the replacement that you realise how crap the original stuff is, cheap ass plastic..

Cheers Steve
sunbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 20:14   #177
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

As soon as my car is repaired I will be fitting mine. Had it out of the box and had a look at what is on car. What a difference. Sheddist your a genius.

Worrying thing is that the OE stuff has AP on it and they are supposed to be good.
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 22:08   #178
Rapid Yellow
No longer a Rover / MG owner.

Rapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to all

I now have my new clutch and sheddist kit fitted - what a difference!!

My old clutch plate was so worn I have a groove in my flywheel from the rivets on the old clutch. Good job we changed it really..........

The kit was fairly simple to fit after popping the 'box off and changing the clutch and cover plate (like it was that easy - it took me and a mate a day and a half to do it on his driveway).

The clutch is now much lighter than before, and the hydraulics should last a lot longer than the standard kit.

Does anyone want a standard hydraulic master and slave cylinder kit (still in working order)?
modded Rover 200vi (1.8 VVC ) - sold to be broken up for parts
Rapid Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-04-2007, 14:59   #179
Byron
The mechanic

Byron has a spectacular aura aboutByron has a spectacular aura about

When you have got them ready Nigel give me a shout cheer's.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 15:11   #180
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Another thankyou to add to your growing list Nigel. I fitted mine yesterday, taking about 2.5 hours to do. I couldn't quite get the pedal right, it wouldn't allow me to select gears when standing without forcing the gear stick. So had another go this morning. Bled it again, there was no bubbles that I saw but the pedal firmed up a bit. And yesterday the pedal didn't touch the new pedal stop. So I unscrewd the master cyl plunger about 1mm tightend the lock nut and bingo. Gear selection is now as good as before and the pedal, well it's like a different car.

I took it for a blast and the gear changes are a lot quicker and easier ( I can go from foot rest to pedal without lifting my foot off the floor and my knee up by the steering wheel )

Cocked up with the master cyl/copper pipe connection though. I've ruined all Sheddists lovely pipe bending, but there are no twists or kinks in the pipe so I am leaving it .

On removing the old master cylinder nuts, I noticed that there was a leak where the pushrod goes into it, and a dribble of fluid going down the bulkhead and behind the carpet. For those with OE fitment it could be worth doing a periodic check on this.

As no one else has posted any piccs heres mine. Anyone considering this mod, take your time at the master cylinder connection because it looks a lot better on Harbs car, in the instructions, than mine.

Clutch Reservoir.

Master Cylinder.

Pipe work following brake lines.

Under fuel filter.
There is a p clip under there that holds the pipe solid.

Slave cylinder bracket.

Bleed nipple.

Slave pushrod.
The business end.
Old 12-05-2007, 00:08   #181
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

sheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant future

Al,
Glad you are pleased with it. They are a real PITA to bleed and it seems to take longer to bleed than to fit. You should be OK with the pipe as I re-anneal them after bending just in case something like that happens.
Old 12-05-2007, 19:53   #182
cjsale

cjsale is a jewel in the roughcjsale is a jewel in the roughcjsale is a jewel in the roughcjsale is a jewel in the rough

Removed my airbox and had a look at my clutch slave cylinder to check for cracks in the bracket, can't believe how flimsy the oem set up is, the slave is just held on by a plastic 'U' shaped clip and waggles about all over the place - amazing it works at all.

cjsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 21:04   #183
Tony_M

Tony_M is on a distinguished road

Evening fellas. I don't usually post here, I spend more time on mg-rover.org. Anyway I've read this thread from start to finish and it looks like this is where the experts hide .

I've been having some clutch trouble. When selecting first the clutch is really light, almost like there is no pressure at all. When selecting second at low revs I tend to get a judder like the clutch is slipping but its intermittent. I have to be pretty careful with selecting 2nd to avoid this and sometimes I stay in first for longer than I would like to. When driving hard at high revs its not a problem.
Very occasionally I get a judder in first, especially when sat in slow moving traffic.

The gear changes are a bit rough but always have been & last time I checked the gearbox oil level was fine.

Is this likely to be a clutch cylinder problem? And if so have you got any kits left Sheddist ?

My car is a ZS 120 and its covered 41k

By the way I'm not a mechanic but am prepared to attempt most spanner related problems lol
Tony_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 23:59   #184
dazultra2000

dazultra2000 is on a distinguished road

OK I'm thinking I may finally be able to afford this next month when I get paid again, but I no way have the ability or confidence to fit it - so I'm wondering if there's anyone who'd be willing to help me out, either by coming to me or me going to them to get this badboy fitted to my zed...the closer to Dorset the better tbh!
dazultra2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 05:39   #185
aldon
Now in a 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazultra2000 View Post
OK I'm thinking I may finally be able to afford this next month when I get paid again, but I no way have the ability or confidence to fit it - so I'm wondering if there's anyone who'd be willing to help me out, either by coming to me or me going to them to get this badboy fitted to my zed...the closer to Dorset the better tbh!
I'm not kidding, if you can change a wheel and follow sheddists idiot proof guide then you can fit this yourself, it's so easy honest and the results are well worth it.
Old 21-05-2007, 06:37   #186
Gas-Axe
Administrator

Gas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazultra2000 View Post
You're welcome to come over to me, just outside Taunton, I'll give you a hand.

'06 330d M Sport Auto || Evolve Switch 300PS 500ft/lb || BMW Performance Brakes || Paddleshift Retrofit || Alpine HiFi Upgrade || 6CD retrofit || BMWP Gloss Grilles || oh and a Witter detachable hidden towbar LOL
Gas-Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 23:31   #187
Rapid Yellow

Rapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldon View Post
I'm not kidding, if you can change a wheel and follow sheddists idiot proof guide then you can fit this yourself, it's so easy honest and the results are well worth it.
Yep, as long as you are a contortionist who can work upside down with your head in the drivers footwell, while you remove and re-fit the master cylinder to clevis pin on pedal bit, lol .

Oh, and when it's all fitted you are prepared to spend at least 1/2 hour fannying about bleeding it and fiddling with the bite point.

But once it's done, it's soooo much better than anything MGR came up with, the first time I drove my car with this kit fitted, I thought something was wrong cos my pedal had never been that light and easy to use.
Old 23-05-2007, 02:58   #188
Carl P

Carl P will become famous soon enoughCarl P will become famous soon enough

Sheddist, I owe big apology to you, I was in the list for the first 10 for the clutch mod, or how many it was. Boiler blew on the house and then christmas. After that started new job so never really checked the forums.

Are you still doing these kits? If so tell me a price and I will have one.

Still got the yellow mk1 ZS 180. Just about to get scorpion cat back exhaust fitted too
Carl P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 13:27   #189
Carl P

Another satisfied customer nigel.

Fitted the kit on tuesday with a mate. Took about 2.5 hours. Now it feels like a different car. The clutch is nice and light, smooth and silent too.

Top work fella, I am really impressed.

Thanks again,

Carl.
Old 16-06-2007, 01:14   #190
Carl P

Forgot to add. As We removed the O.E system and placed it on my garage floor, my mate pushed the rod on the master cylinder and the slave cylinder exploded, sending fluid all over my face and garage. (At least my paint work was untouched). Was it about to go?? I don't know but it was shocking to to see the O.E system side by side with the Sheddist version.

My mate that helped me fit it has built many track cars and has complimented you nigel. He says you must have spent many hours perfecting this and you are an engineering genius, Well done mate.

Thanks again .

Anyone thinking of getting this kit, get it while nigel is still producing it. It is the best peace of mind you will ever have.
Old 18-06-2007, 17:39   #191
justingeezer

justingeezer will become famous soon enough

Hi all

New to site, but been reading on about the generic issues with the clutch system on the ZS. In the past 2 years the master and the slave cylinder have given up the ghost, and only a week ago, the slave cylinder bracket decided it was going to bend and break, but also break the plastic collar on the slave.

Been fortunate enough to get a new bracket via XPart but this is coming from Spain and looks like it could be another 3 weeks.

If any one has an old cylinder and bracket, I am more than willing to cross your palm with silver and gold.

Like the idea of Sheddist replacement system, but can anybody tell me if this would have a knock-on effect with regards to car insurance, as it would be classed as a modification?

Thanks in advance
Justin

PS Mines got 106000 on the clock and itís only the damn clutch which lets the car down!
justingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 17:59   #192
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

sheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum.
One other has asked his insurers and as fas as I am aware it was OK. It does not make the car lighter, louder, prettier, faster or less secure.
Worth a call to be sure though. If they need any information, please let me know.
Old 18-06-2007, 22:08   #193
justingeezer

justingeezer will become famous soon enough

Cheers Sheddist

I'm starting to think that you marvel replacement kit is going to be the better option in the long run. So, do you have any left or in the manufacturing process, and if so how much are they and do you have a Paypal account that I could transfer the money across to? Failing that I could resort to good old fasioned cheques!

Don't take it the wrong way but starting to think you could be the mad doc inventor out of Back to the Future!

Cheers
Justin
justingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 00:18   #194
lewerty1

Tournaments Won: 2

lewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to behold

how much r these kits out of curiosity, had mine replaced with oe stuff, and is prob worth putting one of these on, if they r still being made???

cheers
james
lewerty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 21:44   #195
Boot Hill Bandit
Maestro 1600

Boot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewerty1 View Post
how much r these kits out of curiosity, had mine replaced with oe stuff, and is prob worth putting one of these on, if they r still being made???

cheers
james
Same as James..............are these still available Sheddist and at what cost?? I may be better off having mine replaced once the engine and gearbox have been changed over........probably easier to fit some of it whilst its out of the bay anyway.

Thanks

Jim
Boot Hill Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 23:07   #196
Rapid Yellow

Send Nigel (Sheddist) a PM, it is well worth it.

Cost is £145 and he does "do" paypal.

I'm beginning to think if he'd been in charge of engineering for the P4 back in 2000, maybe MG Rover would still be in business and the HGF issues would all be sorted with the K engines........................
Old 21-06-2007, 09:30   #197
Boot Hill Bandit
Maestro 1600

Boot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to behold

One other question and not meaning to catch Nigel out.........

Are there any negative side affects?? like does it put any strain on any of the other OE components now the replacement system has been put in place?? Just thinking..........it takes less effort to push the pedal and the pedal is now lower..........excuse my 'simple' thinking but I'm having trouble working out how you did that

Like I said..........if the new system is fault free still............then you really have cured a problem.........thanks folks.

Jim
Old 21-06-2007, 12:31   #198
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

Well so far so good.
I have the system on my Zs180 for just over a year. It has not needed any adjustment or bleeding. My driving is mostly in town and traffic so a lot of use.

The reason for the lower pedal effort is that the ratio between the master and slave cylinder diameters is slightly bigger than the OE system. This means a slightly longer pedal stroke is required. However, in practice, the working stroke is a little less, especially when hot as the metal pipes and cylinders do not soften and stretch with temperature as the OE plastics do.

The bite point will always be lower then an OE setup as the distance from the cylinder mounting to the clevis that is attached to the pedal is shorter. This does pull the pedal down a bit - depending on the pedal design. (there are 2 types of pedal fitted)

So:
No greater force is placed on the master cylinder mounting or clevis
No more force is placed on the slave cylinder mounting to the gearbox
It is possible to put a greater force on the clutch actuating arm when operating very quickly as there is less give in the system
Old 21-06-2007, 13:46   #199
Boot Hill Bandit
Maestro 1600

Okay no problem.

I may well order one very soon. Need to see how everything is going at the moment first though.

Jim
Old 23-06-2007, 23:18   #200
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

Fitted a kit today.
Found a problem with a very low bite point. To overcome this I made up an adapter to give more master cylinder stroke. Future kits will include a second, longer clevis to ensure a wider range of adjustment is possible to suit different cars/pedals/clutches. If any of you who have a kit and are suffering with a low bite point would be good enough to PM me with your address, I will send you a long clevis FOC.
Old 24-06-2007, 12:31   #201
fireengineer
Stop that! Thats silly.

fireengineer is just really nicefireengineer is just really nicefireengineer is just really nicefireengineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheddist View Post
Fitted a kit today.
Found a problem with a very low bite point. To overcome this I made up an adapter to give more master cylinder stroke. Future kits will include a second, longer clevis to ensure a wider range of adjustment is possible to suit different cars/pedals/clutches. If any of you who have a kit and are suffering with a low bite point would be good enough to PM me with your address, I will send you a long clevis FOC.
This is the problem I called you about a few months ago when my mech couldnt get it adjusted. Mine is adjusted out to the last thread on the clevis and it is perfect at that. But it is close.
Old 25-06-2007, 08:42   #202
Ultimate_Racer
TF 160

Ultimate_Racer is a glorious beacon of lightUltimate_Racer is a glorious beacon of lightUltimate_Racer is a glorious beacon of lightUltimate_Racer is a glorious beacon of lightUltimate_Racer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheddist View Post
Fitted a kit today.
Very big thanks to Nigel for taking time out to fit this kit for me! You're a top bloke and you will be having a drink on me later tonight!

When Nigel says take time to bleed the system... you really do need to take your time to do it! I think it took us an hour of constant bleeding to get all the air out of the system.

Once again, muchos thankos Nigel!!
Old 26-06-2007, 20:06   #203
Kelvin Fagan
MG ZT-T 190

Kelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant future

Had my 'upgrade' fitted today, at least I can now get the car into gear. On a couple of occaisions during the past few days I've not been able to get the car into gear at all, and a scary moment on the M25 today before the kit was fitted when I was hunting for a gear.

Gear selction had become quite a issue over the past couple of weeks or so. Not too bad if I kept on the move, but once in traffic and the heat in the engine bay rose, this affected my ability to get the car into gear.

Thanks for a great kit!

Kelv.

Last edited by Kelvin Fagan; 26-06-2007 at 20:14.
Kelvin Fagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 20:11   #204
wirly
wait and see;-)

wirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to behold

i have a slight problem with a low biting point Nigel to i will PM you my address for upgrade
one other thing i have changed the fluid as well a coulpe of times as its gone black rather quickly is this right??
thanks
Paul
Old 26-06-2007, 22:48   #205
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

Fluid will be dark as there is a lot of movement compared with brakes and there is cast iron involved. The black is likely to be the free carbon from the cast iron slave cylinder.

Here is a comparison of the master cylinder clevis. The new long one is shown on the cylinder:
Old 03-07-2007, 20:56   #206
aldon
Now in a 3

Fitted the new clevis tonight Nigel. I have raised the bite point a little higher to try and avoid graunching third gear. I have also altered the pedal stop to take out the free play in the master cylinder plunger which effectively reduces the pedal height. I can still push in the slave pushrod with my fingertips. Been for a drive and everything is very fine and I now feel confident about the clevis not getting ripped off. Also the new locking mechanism on the pin is a lot better than the MGR part, that always looked like it could just drop off.

Just one question, nigel, is it ok to take out the slack in the pedal although I can still push in the slave cylinder rod. It sort of feels wrong like I am resting my foot on the pedal.
Old 04-07-2007, 00:05   #207
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

Alan,
You can take as much free play out as you wish using the pedal stop provided that the slave plunger can still be pushed in. "competition" master cylinders use a similar technique to fine tune the master cylinder to give minimal non return valve opening thus free play for a quicker operation.
Old 13-07-2007, 09:00   #208
Faster

Faster is on a distinguished road

Well I could really do with getting this kit as I seem to have issues getting into first gear, crunch 2-3 (when going for it lol) and hate the high pedal.

My only question is fitting.... I have a habit of breaking more than I fix ie..lowered the car snapped off loads of bolts and ended up needing new parts .

So, what can I break by accident lol?
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 14:46   #209
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

Well, FAster, I you want I can send one to you with 2 sets of pipe!

Main risks:
Bad pipe routing resulting in kinks
Stripping threads in master cylinder
Cutting you hands ion the facia moulding when accessing the master cylinder nuts

Stripping threads when you put things back.

When putting things together and you are not sure about how much to thighten things, buy a torque wrench!
Old 26-07-2007, 21:18   #210
pete b

pete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud ofpete b has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Well,just road tested the Zed afer fitting Sheddist,s upgrade kit.With the comprehensive instructions on removal of the nasty plastic OE items and then the installation of the sturdy replacements,it was easy even for a reluctant spanner wielder such as myself.

Stripped and fitted the new kit yesterday evening(even managed to keep dry )Bled the system and have given the car a couple of road tests this evening.

Thank you Nigel for your prompt attention to the dire straits I found myself in,literally clutchless . I can without reservation recommend to anyone this upgrade.
pete b is offline   Reply With Quote