Watcha Reckon - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG 3

Old 12-06-2014, 16:14   #1
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Jerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud of
MG Watcha Reckon

Would you buy a "3"?
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 17:19   #2
ian zs180

ian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Watcha Reckon

I cant make my mind up if I would buy one or not . Its a lot of car for the money but it just seems to be a little behind ford, Vauxhall and the likes for engine efficiency . I know a few people who have bought one and they say the mpg is no were near what mg claim . It also seems a little slow for a 1500 power plant and the emmissions are not that great so you wont be getting cheap road tax like you would with say the fiesta or corsa mind you it will still be a lot cheaper than my 180 lol. If you can live with that yeah I would deffo have one they look cool and seem to be put together well its just this power thing I have a problem with just like the mg6 great car but not so good performance for a mg .
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 21:31   #3
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!
had one twice as courtesy car for service and one for a week when i had the lpg done.
i also own a 1.2 panda and very recently had the joy of a 1.2 fiesta. MG3 absolutely mullers these in every way apart from economy.
spec a fiesta to the same and it would be 5k to 6k more. how much fuel and tax does that buy?

and the mg3 is a hell of a lot more FUN!
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2014, 08:16   #4
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future

Love my 3 but it'll never take the place of the ZS as No 1!
Old 12-07-2014, 13:55   #5
The Express Valeter
Passionate about MGR.Cars.

The Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud of
MG Re: Watcha Reckon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Would you buy a "3"?
I would if they were do a model with a Turbo & a little more styling/trim options.

There was a guy at MG's In the Park who has a 6 & his wife a 3. I mentioned the engine & he said once the car got to 1000 miles it loostened up a lot & gives well over 40 MPG & he said his wife doesn't hang about!
The Express Valeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 21:31   #6
MG ZS STE

Hexxagon Champion! Flash Invaders 2 Champion!
MG ZS STE is a splendid one to beholdMG ZS STE is a splendid one to beholdMG ZS STE is a splendid one to beholdMG ZS STE is a splendid one to beholdMG ZS STE is a splendid one to beholdMG ZS STE is a splendid one to beholdMG ZS STE is a splendid one to beholdMG ZS STE is a splendid one to behold

Something like this.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=30283
Old 13-07-2014, 01:18   #7
The Express Valeter

The Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud of

Yes but not with that spoiler lol.
Old 18-07-2014, 02:25   #8
kindofblue
Lighten up dude

kindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud of

Popular on Guernsey... 33 sold this year so far according to Carrus (dealer). Perfect for an island with narrow (and twisty) roads. The dealer is a former auto-sport competitor and is adamant they are not slow as some reviews suggest although he admits the 1.5 is thrashy and the fuel consumption isn't great. With the handling being good and prices (here) starting at just over 7K its been a surprising hit with older drivers also - small, 5 door, nippy, cheap(ish) to run.

The dealer is desperate for an auto versions (says he could sell loads) and a turbo on the 1.5 which may come if sales do well across the UK.

P

225 / 40 / 17 - 7.5J AVON ZZ3's
EBC Green Pads
'Sheddist' Clutch
'Masher' Oil Catch Tank
Stebel Twin Air Horn
SCU Relay Upgrade
kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 23:21   #9
DeMoNPauL
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180

DeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jerry

Nice to see you are still around.

Regarding the "3" Give one a try

What's in your Garage now? Anything Exotic?
Janspeed 6-2-1 Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold
ITG Maxogen Open Cone piped to inner wing
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Matt Neal Limited Edition Alloys
Vredestein Giugiaro Ultrac Tyres
Lowered 30mm on (Motobuild Koni) Springs
Stainless Steel Catch Tank
Sheddists Clutch Kit
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Philips X-treme Power Headlight bulbs
Customised Engine Cover
Tinted Windows
Rear parking sensors

Team Bobin Head
http://teamvalleylandrover.co.uk/ - MG Rover/Landrover XPART Auto Service Centre
http://www.hiperformanceautocentres.co.uk/ - MG Rover XPART Auto Service Centre
www.exv-mobile.co.uk - Mobile valeter in the Kent Area

DeMoNPauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 10:38   #10
The Express Valeter

I'm kinda thinking about getting an MG3 for next March (15reg), not sure yet though but if they introduce a model fitted with a Turbo that will make my decision much easier. My ST2 Fiesta is good fun but as we sold the Range Rover & that being the main car my missus finds the Fiesta far too hard though I knew that at purchace but the ST was only supposed to be our fun car. I think the snob value of the Range Rover Evoque is making her grumpy.
I am thinking of the 3 simply to reduce even further car expenditure.

1000 deposit for the top model which is nearly 1/3 of what I put down on the ST (including a 500 deposit allowance from Ford) & still 100 a month cheaper. Ok that was for 3 years & I am on 2 so not bad really. I would just personalise it to make it look a little more interesting!
Old 19-07-2014, 15:41   #11
kindofblue
Lighten up dude

kindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Express Valeter View Post
I'm kinda thinking about getting an MG3 for next March (15reg), not sure yet though but if they introduce a model fitted with a Turbo that will make my decision much easier. My ST2 Fiesta is good fun but as we sold the Range Rover & that being the main car my missus finds the Fiesta far too hard though I knew that at purchace but the ST was only supposed to be our fun car. I think the snob value of the Range Rover Evoque is making her grumpy.
I am thinking of the 3 simply to reduce even further car expenditure.

1000 deposit for the top model which is nearly 1/3 of what I put down on the ST (including a 500 deposit allowance from Ford) & still 100 a month cheaper. Ok that was for 3 years & I am on 2 so not bad really. I would just personalise it to make it look a little more interesting!
Hi

They have 5 or 6 on the forecourt here and white looks the best to my eye - maybe with the motor sport type twin blue stripes across the bonnet and roof unless that seems a bit too Ford. The metallics and darker colours dont seem to catch the lines although the cyan metallic blue looks well.

I have asked my local dealer Carrus to consider the possibility of cold air induction and a big bore exhaust(s) - i.e. they to source / fabricate this on a 3 and look at the engine mapping to accommodate as a kind of a future garage option using me as a guinea pig. If they (can) go for it with something that looks realistic (on price/performance) I will push on with a 3 now.

I will post if they come up with anything.

P
225 / 40 / 17 - 7.5J AVON ZZ3's
EBC Green Pads
'Sheddist' Clutch
'Masher' Oil Catch Tank
Stebel Twin Air Horn
SCU Relay Upgrade

Last edited by kindofblue; 19-07-2014 at 15:54.
kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 04:08   #12
JLD
the voice of reason!!!

JLD is just really niceJLD is just really niceJLD is just really niceJLD is just really nice

If I was looking for something small and fun for around 10k I would seriously consider one, although I have yet to see one on the road.
Old 21-07-2014, 18:48   #13
Martinb-05
MG ZS180 MKII 5 Door

Martinb-05 is a jewel in the roughMartinb-05 is a jewel in the roughMartinb-05 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Watcha Reckon

I am really enjoying my wife's MG3.

Very solid and practical motor with good presence on the road.

ZS180 Mk II (5 door) in Ignition Blue with full Janspeed exhaust system as ex MG Sport & Racing
ZS180 Mk I (4 door) in Trophy Blue with Janspeed manifolds and cat plus Piper rear exhausts with twin exits, 18" wheels, ITG Induction kit fitted, re-mapped ingition.
Martinb-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:50   #14
penfold118

penfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant future

My other half's pcp is coming to an end so the 3 will be on the shortlist
Old 27-06-2017, 21:04   #15
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

Whats she got now?
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Climate control in a mk1 consol
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:06   #16
penfold118

penfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant futurepenfold118 has a brilliant future

A Renault Twingo for work ( basically a smart car ) It ticked the box's, cheap running costs and was only doing small mileage and a f for the weekend.. Will be doing 10k a year on mainly country roads so want something a little bigger...
Old 07-07-2017, 17:21   #17
Martinb-05
MG ZS180 MKII 5 Door

Martinb-05 is a jewel in the roughMartinb-05 is a jewel in the roughMartinb-05 is a jewel in the rough

The MG3 is a bit bigger but worth a look.

Enjoy looking and make sure you get a good deal!!

ZS180 Mk II (5 door) in Ignition Blue with full Janspeed exhaust system as ex MG Sport & Racing
ZS180 Mk I (4 door) in Trophy Blue with Janspeed manifolds and cat plus Piper rear exhausts with twin exits, 18" wheels, ITG Induction kit fitted, re-mapped ingition.
Martinb-05 is offline   Reply With Quote