repairing inlet manifold kv6 - Page 2 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > General Technical Section - ask the Experts! > K-4 cylinder / K-6 cylinder / L-Series / BMW M47R / Ford V8

Old 16-10-2010, 09:32   #36
smilerbaker

smilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud of
Default Re: repairing inlet manifold kv6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-zs180 View Post
From what i have read its like splitting a atom lol and if you break the cover your rooted. As for the plastic cant help there
yep I tried splitting mine, took a long long time, lots of effort and it was totally destroyed, a dremil and a lot of cutting discs would do it, but to be honest for the time, effort, costs involved and the uncertainty of being able to reseal it properly imho its just not worth doing, buy a new one, then at least you get new vis as well.
Carbon Catch Tank
Sheddist Clutch Kit
Ring Sticker
Janspeed Duplex Exhaust
smilerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-11-2010, 08:27   #37
bigfella
bigfella-network.co.uk

bigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond repute

Any further news on this?

------------------------
Mk1 MG ZS 180 2003 - BRG

bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 10:16   #38
John Daniels

John Daniels is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: repairing inlet manifold kv6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilerbaker View Post
..... its just not worth doing, buy a new one, then at least you get new vis as well.
I did buy a new one (date of manufacture 2008) and fitted it along with a catch tank to reduce the oil damage problem, but after a year and only a few thousand miles one of the VIS motors failed (very erratic indications on the LED array on the dash). Stripped and repaired one from the old manifold and have since rebuilt the new one as well as a spare.

It seems they are prone to failure where the microswitches are soldered to the PCB, probably due to a small amount of movement each time the switch is operated by the cam. I now superglue the switch to the PCB (making sure none enters the switch body) then solder it so there should be no future movement to break the joint.

John

John Daniels

2003 ZS180 Saloon, EBC Brakes all round
John Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-12-2010, 08:27   #39
mikeZS

mikeZS is a jewel in the roughmikeZS is a jewel in the roughmikeZS is a jewel in the rough

nothing new in this steel replace? noone has tryed it?
mikeZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 08:40   #40
bigfella
bigfella-network.co.uk

bigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond reputebigfella has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Mike, say it again?

------------------------
Mk1 MG ZS 180 2003 - BRG

Old 14-12-2010, 21:26   #41
Car13

Car13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud of

Will have to post some pics of new manifold we have been trying need the trumpets machining, does away with vis so loose a little low down but then again its all about 5K+ on a V6. Not sure on road use as making for the race car.

We are trying to get round race regulations of standard throttle body but inlet is free so worth getting the tig out and seeing what can be done, as long as runs on stock ecu and gives a few more horses we will be well happy.
Car13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 22:40   #42
Jay-ZS+

Jay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to behold

Any more news on this? Hopefully if Lawrence cracks the VIS motor issue it could render the plenum service free!

How is the plenum bonded together assuming its on a job that can be eased with heat, considering where it sits on the engine Im guessing not.
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:23   #43
ZS
Double Agent

ZS will become famous soon enoughZS will become famous soon enough

Has anyone heard anything from Sheddist?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02   #44
bigfella
bigfella-network.co.uk

I did PM him but haven't got a reply yet.

For now a new plenum will be going on mine on saturday.

------------------------
Mk1 MG ZS 180 2003 - BRG

Old 12-01-2011, 10:06   #45
ZS
Double Agent

ZS will become famous soon enoughZS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
I did PM him but haven't got a reply yet.

For now a new plenum will be going on mine on saturday.
I've PM'd him about a clutch kit as well (as am in need of one urgently) but no reply yet... guess he's very busy at the moment
Old 12-01-2011, 10:08   #46
bigfella
bigfella-network.co.uk

Yeah I agree on that one. I'm happy to be patient, its just my car isn't!

------------------------
Mk1 MG ZS 180 2003 - BRG

Old 29-01-2011, 11:59   #47
mick higgins

mick higgins is on a distinguished road
MG Re: repairing inlet manifold kv6

Hi all
I also have a rattly inlet manifold on my zs180. I had it replaced at 52k, this one has done approx 31k and now sounds rough. I also get a lot of blue smoke from the exhaust on start up which lasts about 1 minute. Could anyone tell me if this is related to the inlet manifold please.
mick higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:35   #48
markzo

markzo is on a distinguished road

any news?
markzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 12:28   #49
bas-hayo

bas-hayo is on a distinguished road

Hello Sheddist,

I've read you KV6 Vis-modification and realy like the beautifull steel arm you've designed.
Can you please ship one for me to Holland,

(I'll pay you in advance,if you tell me what are the costst(incl post&pakkage) and where the payment must go to.

Will you please let me know if you've recieved this E-mail?
I've tried to send you an E-mail earlier,but I'm affraid that they've lost somewhere.

Thnx

Hayo Kloos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheddist View Post
Thanks for the interest in this.
At the moment, replacement arms are on offer at £67. I know this is not "cheap", but a lot of work goes into each one and the parts are not cheap. But it is around 10% of the price of a new plenum.

With respect to exchange plenums. This is something I do not have the time for, also this carries some risk as what if on splitting, the cover moulding is broken or it will not seal etc. If I cannot fix it or there is a delay, then you car cannot be driven. Not a responsibility I am prepared to take. Perhaps someone on here has the inclination and time to take this on.

So, what is proposed is this:
Order an arm. This will be assembled and a shipping date given - Car is OK to drive with a rattly plenum.

As with clutch kits, you will be notified when an arm is available and payment will be requested. Not before.

Hopefully you will be able to split the plenum, replace the arm and seal it up again- Perhaps plenum splitting and resealing techniques will form a good thread on here.

If you are unsuccessful in splitting and resealing your plenum then you can return the arm for a £47 refund.

Last edited by bas-hayo; 26-04-2011 at 12:29. Reason: Didn't know my adres would be on internet
bas-hayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 12:29   #50
bigfella
bigfella-network.co.uk

Probably not good to have your address on show there mate.

I know exactly where your ZS/ZT is now and I shall be coming to take your wheels!

------------------------
Mk1 MG ZS 180 2003 - BRG

Old 06-02-2012, 04:03   #51
rocco_meister

rocco_meister is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: repairing inlet manifold kv6

Hi All, Just got myself a Rover 75 with a knackered manifold. Are these kits to repair still available?
rocco_meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 15:37   #52
smilerbaker

smilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud of

they where never available
Carbon Catch Tank
Sheddist Clutch Kit
Ring Sticker
Janspeed Duplex Exhaust
smilerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:05   #53
Lates
Lates600.com

Lates is a jewel in the roughLates is a jewel in the roughLates is a jewel in the rough

I have a spare manifold, still boxed, never opened. £400 collect only if anybody is interested.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 23:25   #54
gadget_12000

gadget_12000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheddist View Post
Thanks for the interest in this.
At the moment, replacement arms are on offer at £67. I know this is not "cheap", but a lot of work goes into each one and the parts are not cheap. But it is around 10% of the price of a new plenum.

With respect to exchange plenums. This is something I do not have the time for, also this carries some risk as what if on splitting, the cover moulding is broken or it will not seal etc. If I cannot fix it or there is a delay, then you car cannot be driven. Not a responsibility I am prepared to take. Perhaps someone on here has the inclination and time to take this on.

So, what is proposed is this:
Order an arm. This will be assembled and a shipping date given - Car is OK to drive with a rattly plenum.

As with clutch kits, you will be notified when an arm is available and payment will be requested. Not before.

Hopefully you will be able to split the plenum, replace the arm and seal it up again- Perhaps plenum splitting and resealing techniques will form a good thread on here.

If you are unsuccessful in splitting and resealing your plenum then you can return the arm for a £47 refund.

hi there sheddist were do I get my hands on a the new internals.
please let me know as soon as possible...
gadget_12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 08:29   #55
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't, they were never made available.
Old 29-11-2019, 10:00   #56
marandod

marandod is on a distinguished road

hello guys, my zt v6 needs help, i have the rattle of doom due to the inlet manifold, i need to repair it, can you help me? i can send my manifold to repair,
who should I contact, for this restoration?
marandod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 13:26   #57
Special K

Special K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marandod View Post
hello guys, my zt v6 needs help, i have the rattle of doom due to the inlet manifold, i need to repair it, can you help me? i can send my manifold to repair,
who should I contact, for this restoration?
You may have seen it already on the ZT 75 forum but a old thread has been updated saying patent pending on a solution to the awful Kv6 plenum. It claims 25bhp increase too. Mines rattling and may gut it over Christmas in the hope this kit eventually becomes available.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote