Tuning options for the 6? - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG6

Old 24-10-2013, 23:06   #1
Craigzs180

Craigzs180 is on a distinguished road
Default Tuning options for the 6?

Does anyone know of anyone that does any performance bits in anyway shape or form for the 6 yet?
I've been told some ZT stuff fits and is useable in terms of suspension but haven't been able to find anywhere that actually lists performance upgrades for one yet.

Surely someone does by now..
Craigzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-2013, 10:47   #2
tcb180

tcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tuning options for the 6?

I suppose its all about invalidating your warranty too? No doubt someone will in the future. In the meantime I'm sure that you could improve induction over standard and get a de cat pipe made.
Old 25-10-2013, 16:44   #3
Craigzs180

I know about the warranty but on a previous brand new car I had a few years ago that got quite modified and they never turned it away when things went wrong on the original parts fitted. Was still covered back then in 03.

I was more seeing if there were bits available for it yet and what improvements could be had as they are a little quiet and I do like to hear some noise from exhaust and engine. Not in a racing way just a purposeful noise. Still I suppose at some point there must be something that will surface.

Old 25-10-2013, 17:30   #4
ian zs180

ian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to behold

To be honest would it be worth while any tuning companies doing anything for the 6 ? I mean lets be honest they haven't exactly sold very well so I,m guessing with so few sold would it be worth there while doing bits for it I,m guessing no but I might be wrong .
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 17:46   #5
Craigzs180

I know it's all stuff to consider that they aren't and probably won't ever be the most popular car but they do some parts for some really obscure cars out there so it was just a query really.
Suppose the majority would be custom fabrication for exhausts and so on which isn't a bad thing really. Gives more individuality if you ask me but was just seeing if anything was out there.

Thanks for the response though guys.
Old 25-10-2013, 18:09   #6
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigzs180 View Post
I know it's all stuff to consider that they aren't and probably won't ever be the most popular car but they do some parts for some really obscure cars out there so it was just a query really.
There are 1/3rd million MG6 + Roewe 550 in the world, have your checked the foreign parts of the world wide web?
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 19:41   #7
Craigzs180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
There are 1/3rd million MG6 + Roewe 550 in the world, have your checked the foreign parts of the world wide web?
Umm, no I hadn't. Didn't even think of looking that way, was looking purely on uk based searches. It didn't occur at all. Feel a bit silly after that.
Old 25-10-2013, 22:04   #8
jasons

jasons has a spectacular aura aboutjasons has a spectacular aura about

There are tuning bits for mg6 here in the UK, big brakes, suspension and exhaust have been done so far, remaps are in development.

What bits are you after?
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 22:11   #9
Craigzs180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
There are tuning bits for mg6 here in the UK, big brakes, suspension and exhaust have been done so far, remaps are in development.

What bits are you after?
Was looking for links on the exhausts, suspension & any engine accessories to aid with future remap if possible.?
Looked all over online but not found anyone that mentions the 6.
Old 25-10-2013, 22:20   #10
tcb180

tcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud of

Be the first and make up an induction kit from scratch. Get stainless exhaust firm to custom build one for you.
Old 27-10-2013, 00:37   #11
new160

new160 will become famous soon enough

On the mild 'tuning' side there are currently K&N air filters being advertised on AliExpress.com from China but they are currently quite expensive. I have been unable to source one from within the UK. Other parts available from there are front strut braces (reasonably priced) and lowering springs.
I believe that the MG 6 is quite a complex engine to remap as there is torque limiting incorporated within the engine software which makes it a bit more difficult than a K series. The 120 mph top speed limiter will also cut in before the red line in fourth if off road use was envisaged so that would also require dealing with.

There have been some reports both in this country and abroad of the MG6 petrol engine being remapped but I have only been able to find one set of figures which showed about 190ps but I have no info on how much else had been changed to achieve this figure or how accurate the measuring equipment was.
The MG6 certainly seems to be a much stronger and more reliable engine than the K series with no overheating problems being reported in spite of the vast numbers which have been in use for several years in MG6's and Roewe 550's in China and elsewhere.
Like many other UK MG6 owners I still have another year of my warranty to go so I will not consider a remap for at least another year.
Even then unless someone like Mark at Z&F could come up with a fully researched and tested package I would be very reluctant to have the car remapped just for daily use on the highway.
new160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 10:24   #12
jasons

jasons has a spectacular aura aboutjasons has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by new160 View Post
Other parts available from there are front strut braces (reasonably priced)
think you'll find they don't clear one of the fluid tanks as uk car is slightly different.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote