3 test drive - Page 2 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG 3

Old 20-11-2013, 19:57   #36
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future
Default Re: 3 test drive

Well, should pick it up next Thursday.

Have a feeling this may be a slow week!
Advertisement

Old 21-11-2013, 18:44   #37
ian zs180

ian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to behold

I went for a nose at one a few weeks back gary just to see one in the flesh so to speak . Gotta say was impressed with the looks of it think it looks smart they just need to make a quick one now Anyway good luck with yours mate and get a pic posted up when you get it .
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 01:57   #38
mattytorques
Theres a new legal high its called ZS180

mattytorques will become famous soon enoughmattytorques will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: 3 test drive

I've only just seen an advert for a 3 on TV tonight. Looks good and i'm glad MG are advertising as the 6 didn't catch my radar if it was. The 3 might have been on TV earlier too but I don't watch tv enough to know.
Obviously all cars are looking similar these days, but designs tend to stay similar with only a couple bucking the trend. Take the Astra and Rover 45, both had a similar 5 door profile and the focus just did its unusual thing.
As for the MG3 well it's being funky like a DS3 I guess which actually works very well in this trendy market. And young people, who aren't as eager to buy cars will hopefully be enticed by a new kid on the block.
I'm just hoping for the 3 to rival the 200hp DS3.
That will get us XPF's excited!
And a lets hope for aftermarket stuff other than stickers, like a few nice spoilers, or exhausts. nothing too chavy mind.
mattytorques is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-11-2013, 19:54   #39
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian zs180 View Post
I went for a nose at one a few weeks back gary just to see one in the flesh so to speak . Gotta say was impressed with the looks of it think it looks smart they just need to make a quick one now Anyway good luck with yours mate and get a pic posted up when you get it .
What surprised me is how big they are, I was thinking Metro but tbh interior wise is pretty much the same as ZS.

Hoping mine wont look too chavvy with a target on the roof and boy racer stripes up the bonnet LOL!
Old 22-11-2013, 19:57   #40
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattytorques View Post
I've only just seen an advert for a 3 on TV tonight. Looks good and i'm glad MG are advertising as the 6 didn't catch my radar if it was. The 3 might have been on TV earlier too but I don't watch tv enough to know.
Obviously all cars are looking similar these days, but designs tend to stay similar with only a couple bucking the trend. Take the Astra and Rover 45, both had a similar 5 door profile and the focus just did its unusual thing.
As for the MG3 well it's being funky like a DS3 I guess which actually works very well in this trendy market. And young people, who aren't as eager to buy cars will hopefully be enticed by a new kid on the block.
And a lets hope for aftermarket stuff other than stickers, like a few nice spoilers, or exhausts. nothing too chavy mind.
The 6 ad was nice but sedate and emphasised the link to the MGB, with not even a mention of the zeds. Sat in dealers tonight next to a blue GT, in the flesh a very nice looking car.

http://youtu.be/CS6A67UXpaM

Last edited by Gary Gee; 23-11-2013 at 00:07.
Gary Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 21:39   #41
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattytorques View Post
They now have a 2.0L Turbo engine in production with 224bhp, but so far they have only put it in this oversized MG3:

Last edited by Windy; 22-11-2013 at 22:53.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 22:07   #42
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
They now have a 2.0L Turbo engine in production with 124bhp, but so far they have only put it in this oversized MG3:

Sure that's 124bhp from a 2 litre turbo?

Doesn't seem much. Mazda 2.0L nasp is 150bhp. And that was in my 2005 Mazda 3
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 22:48   #43
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Old 22-11-2013, 22:49   #44
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldon View Post
Sure that's 124bhp from a 2 litre turbo?

Doesn't seem much. Mazda 2.0L nasp is 150bhp. And that was in my 2005 Mazda 3
Sorry, it's 224 bhp, 124 is what I expect one of those to have!
Old 07-12-2013, 22:17   #45
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

After a couple of false starts, am picking up the 3 tomorrow!

Mine is on left:

Old 07-12-2013, 22:37   #46
higgi23
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection

higgi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond repute

whey,bout time eh buddy?..........
Old 07-12-2013, 22:49   #47
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgi23 View Post
whey,bout time eh buddy?..........
Seems ages since I ordered but it was only Sept 22nd, less than 24hrs to go, its like waiting for Santa LOL!

I know the couple buying the other white one too - another MG nut!

< Added my bit to the collection tin too.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:09   #48
garythesnail

garythesnail is a glorious beacon of lightgarythesnail is a glorious beacon of lightgarythesnail is a glorious beacon of lightgarythesnail is a glorious beacon of lightgarythesnail is a glorious beacon of light

Only just come aross this thread . . . . . and the suspense is killing me even with you collecting the car today!

I can only remember seing photos these in the black and white camo testing set up until reading here. Your car is very cutesy with its stripe and the car in the middle looks really good in the metallic red too.

Hope the little car will look after you well for years to come. Make sure to update with a review after the first month of living with the new addition.
garythesnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:56   #49
ian zs180

ian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with it gary hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as your zs .
Old 08-12-2013, 14:01   #50
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian zs180 View Post
Good luck with it gary hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as your zs .
Cheers mate, another half hour or so and we'll be on the way.

Reports off other owners seem good so far
Old 08-12-2013, 21:17   #51
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Picked up this pm, looks great in the flesh, very enjoyable drive home of about 25 miles with detour. Drives really nice, no chance to give it some as it now only has 40 miles on clock. Suspension feels just a little softer than the ZS, would think once run in perfoance will be about same as ZS (mines a 120)

Old 08-12-2013, 21:43   #52
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 3 test drive

Looking good Gary.
Bet you're chuffed.
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 21:58   #53
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldon View Post
Looking good Gary.
Bet you're chuffed.
Very, mate.
Lovely to drive, have a feeling the paint will be blinding in sunshine, its a really bright white. Looks to be a really good finish too.
Just need to add one or two bits but nothing major planned
Old 09-12-2013, 23:17   #54
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gee View Post
Lovely to drive...
How's it compare with the ZS?

Those graphics look really good in real life, seem to be nicely applied too...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:21   #55
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
How's it compare with the ZS?

Those graphics look really good in real life, seem to be nicely applied too...
Very similar to the ZS, feels a bit like the 25 we had but with more room for your feet.
May one day drop the headlining to add some dynamat, as roof sounds tinny when you tap it, so must add to noise in cabin.
Would say doors and tailgate feel a lot more solid than ZS, someone came out for a nosey at it at work yesterday and commented on the weight of the bonnet - I hadn't even opened it at that point! Does feel pretty weighty so guess its a good thickness.
As far as I have seen the graphics appear well applied, no signs of bubbles, wrinkles etc, as you would expect but not necessarily get.
You get the impression that its not a 10k car, feels like they have set that price to make sure it sells, look at Dacia reports and though the car is good there always seems to be comments re cheapness.
I honestly see nothing wrong with interior, its a nice clean design, appears solid, maybe I am missing something.
Heater seems a little complex, but am used to cars with three knobs - one each for temp, where you want it blowing and how hard. No doubt something I will get used to. Temp does seem to vary a little, think I have seen this mentioned in at least one review. Its like it tries too hard to match temp you have asked for, like its thinking "ooh a little bit warm, no wait a little bit cooler, oh hang on, a bit warmer". Maybe something that could be addressed with a future upgrade. Being picky though - its not exactly fluctuating by 10 degrees, just enough that you sometimes notice it.
Gear change display is small and not exactly in eye line. No problem as I wouldnt pay attention to it anyway!LOL
I did think that gear knob felt very small but 40 miles use and it feels fine.
Not criticising the ZS - still have it and still love it, but that was three months old and cost 12k back in '02, the 3 is brand new and cost 10k. Tbh they are worlds apart in what you get. Only time will tell reliability wise but the ZS hasn't exactly been trouble free - door handles, front seat mounts, hgf, some "delicate" bits of trim, badges delaminating...
Only one bad point so far, handbook and its wallet - some of the printing is odd, with letters joined together and some pidgin english, no problem, its just "there". The wallet on first inspection looks great, then you notice the MG badge is slightly askew, then the magnets and small metal discs have come adrift inside it somehow so it does click shut. I think there is thick cardoard inside with holes to accommodate the magnets / plates. They have gambled on the holes being of a size that the magnets will jam into. Seems this plan isnt quite good enough and there should have been some glue involved! Both these probs are more of a reflection of the producers of the items, rather than MG. I guess they are made by the equivalent of H Bloggs Printers down the high street. The quick guide is useful and nicely produced, am guessing by someone else, or at least a different team behind it.
Its got to say something when only grumble is the handbook, after the first week or two nobody looks at it anyway!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:36   #56
The Express Valeter
Passionate about MGR.Cars.

The Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud of
MG Re: 3 test drive

Clever Number Plate!!
The Express Valeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 13:24   #57
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Express Valeter View Post
Clever Number Plate!!
Thanks, just know I am going to try ordering parts etc in future and go and say its A MG3 FUN, then wonder why its not working.
Old 10-12-2013, 17:49   #58
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
You get the impression that its not a 10k car, feels like they have set that price to make sure it sells, look at Dacia reports and though the car is good there always seems to be comments re cheapness.
It is cheaper in some other countries, mainly South America, which makes me think they are going to be making a reasonable profit on them in the UK given that China has paid for the development by selling thousands every month.

Thanks for the review.
Old 10-12-2013, 18:40   #59
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

No problem.

Realised today that I failed completely to mention the main criticism of most reports - the engine.
Have to say if the 3 is supposed to have a gruff, wheezy, asthmatic engine, as some mags portray it, then I had better write to MG!
They seem to have fitted something different to mine as none of those words seem applicable. Was ok to start with but just 60 miles or so has improved it already, ok its not a tarmac ripper but tbh it'll be fine for me. My mother has a 1.6 Ford Fusion and this cars 1.5 feels far superior to that.
I can fairly comfortably predict that given a few thousand miles it'll be a great little engine.
Just been talking to dealer to order some bits and told them that I feel lucky to own it, I have fallen completely in love with it already. As long as nothing major goes wrong I can see this little car being another long termer for me.
All things are subjective but I think she looks wonderful and makes me smile when driving her. The only niggle (and am sure its something I will get used to) is the coolant temperature light - having a blue light on dash at night just makes me think I have full beam on, in fairness though it does soon go out. Probably within half a mile or so.
Theres nothing imo that makes you think "oh well, its a 10k car" thats quite an achievement.
Old 11-12-2013, 00:05   #60
The Express Valeter

The Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud of
MG Re: 3 test drive

Quote:
After a couple of false starts, am picking up the 3 tomorrow!

Mine is on left:

Seem to have a few there. I like the Burgundy, looks simiar to Firefrost. The white looks bigger lol.
Old 13-12-2013, 16:44   #61
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Been for a drive today, only a few pics due to cruddy weather, poor thing is filthy now

Old 14-12-2013, 11:58   #62
ian zs180

Looks great gary enjoy it
Old 14-12-2013, 20:43   #63
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Thanks Ian
Old 15-12-2013, 20:38   #64
JOHNDQ

JOHNDQ is just really niceJOHNDQ is just really niceJOHNDQ is just really niceJOHNDQ is just really niceJOHNDQ is just really nice

We went to test drive one, there quite hi spec'ed for the money but you can see where the cuts have been made thats for sure but its not a bad car. The waiting times and the fact we were told had to pay the finance for the 3-5 months before the car even turns up.... no thanks
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 21:40   #65
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
We went to test drive one, there quite hi spec'ed for the money but you can see where the cuts have been made thats for sure but its not a bad car. The waiting times and the fact we were told had to pay the finance for the 3-5 months before the car even turns up.... no thanks
What cuts? TBH feels a lot better than the price would suggest
Old 16-12-2013, 11:38   #66
ViT

ViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud of

Glad you love it Gary! I definitely did the right thing buying the MG6 and keeping the ZT! My only real criticism of the 6 is the audio / entertainment buttons are sort of hap-hazard.

The new MG's are great cars and my 6 certainly makes me smile!

Hope you have many years of motoring pleasure mate!
Old 16-12-2013, 18:32   #67
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Cheers Matt, one thing I am not keen on is the fiddly heater and stereo controls, no doubt will get used to them though, tbh I dont even tend to use stereo much.
Interested to see what John thought was cheap, trust me I dont feel there is anything I have found so far, comparing it to the zs really shows the zs up, rather than the 3.
Guy at work was just having a look and was impressed and he drives a BMW!
Old 17-12-2013, 00:46   #68
The Express Valeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
There arn't any cuts, you must be thinking we are in 2003 not 2013 as that is what was happening back then. I would check with another dealer re the finance. You can't pay finance on a car that doesn't either exist or if it does then is unregistered, car finance starts 1 month arter collection. Check they wern't offering you a personal loan? Don't be put off by some idiot salesman.