Who owns one? - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG6

View Poll Results: Do you or would you own an MG6 / Magnette?
I own a MG6 2 4.44%
I would like to own a MG6 10 22.22%
I would not like to own a MG6 14 31.11%
I own a Magnette 1 2.22%
I would like to own a Magnette 6 13.33%
I would not like to own a Magnette 4 8.89%
I would like to own a British built MG 20 44.44%
I do not care where my car is built 4 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-12-2011, 19:34   #1
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Jerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud of
Default Who owns one?

I know that Martin W (Williamson) does.

Other than that no one else on this Forum.

Would you buy an MG made in China?
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-12-2011, 19:44   #2
AdrianMG

AdrianMG is just really niceAdrianMG is just really niceAdrianMG is just really niceAdrianMG is just really niceAdrianMG is just really nice
Default Re: Who owns one?

Yes, I would buy a new MG, if it fitted the purpose I needed it for.

Unfortunately in the latest instance, the MG6 just didn't fit into the level I was looking for, but the 5 or 3 might be suitable replacements for the wife's car in the next few years.
Old 27-12-2011, 19:55   #3
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Jerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud of
MG Re: Who owns one?

I agree with the above from Adrian. I would like to see more British content though.

Old 27-12-2011, 20:11   #4
shroonie29
Audi S4 500HP

shroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't mind a Magnette if they get a more sporty/powerful version in the game
Old 27-12-2011, 22:17   #5
Tracy
MG6 GT TSE & MGZS 180

Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutTracy has a spectacular aura aboutTracy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I know that Martin W (Williamson) does.

Other than that no one else on this Forum.
Jerry Zedman's got one too
Old 27-12-2011, 22:23   #6
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Smile Re: Who owns one?

That's two owners:

Martin Williamson
Jerry Zedman

Any more?

Last edited by DeMoNPauL; 29-12-2011 at 01:04.
Old 29-12-2011, 00:15   #7
RaptorUK
Learned member

Tanks Champion!
RaptorUK has much to be proud ofRaptorUK has much to be proud ofRaptorUK has much to be proud ofRaptorUK has much to be proud ofRaptorUK has much to be proud ofRaptorUK has much to be proud ofRaptorUK has much to be proud ofRaptorUK has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Who owns one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Any more?
I saw one once but I managed to get away from it . . . so no harm done.

Visit my foto album BTCC Album leave a comment and rate the pictures . . .
RaptorUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 10:21   #8
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Smile Re: Who owns one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorUK View Post
I saw one once but I managed to get away from it . . . so no harm done.
Simon - very witty.

I named Jerry Zedman with his real name - Paul was requested that I change it to his Forum name - done here (thanks Paul as it was late last night).

For curiosity: I placed the same POLL on a none MG Forum today and see what reaction that achieves.
Old 29-12-2011, 13:06   #9
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the relative lack of enthusiasm for the MG6 among the MG community, it would be interesting to see the results from a non MG forum.

I would say that either it will be lukewarm due to the normal anti MGR bias, or people may be more receptive to it as a new model worthy of consideration.
Old 29-12-2011, 19:44   #10
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

MG Re: Who owns one?

Come on guys and gels - let us know what you really think by voting.
Old 29-12-2011, 23:09   #11
Gas-Axe
Administrator

Gas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant future

They really need a diesel to get any market penetration these days.

'06 330d M Sport Auto || Evolve Switch 300PS 500ft/lb || BMW Performance Brakes || Paddleshift Retrofit || Alpine HiFi Upgrade || 6CD retrofit || BMWP Gloss Grilles || oh and a Witter detachable hidden towbar LOL
Gas-Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 12:42   #12
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas-Axe View Post
They really need a diesel to get any market penetration these days.
I'm also sure this has dented sales, but the marketing bods at MG Motor must have realised that when they released the car.
Old 30-12-2011, 14:01   #13
Ritchy

Ritchy is a splendid one to beholdRitchy is a splendid one to beholdRitchy is a splendid one to beholdRitchy is a splendid one to beholdRitchy is a splendid one to beholdRitchy is a splendid one to beholdRitchy is a splendid one to behold

i think they are good looking cars compared with what else is on the market at the moment, stil early days and usually after they have fettled with the looks a bit and released a few new models they start to become more apealing, i like the idea of them being made in the UK again as i would prefer to buy a car that was contributing to the UK economy in some way or another
i think they need to look at some decent advertising and getting some new dealerships opened then they stand a chance of succeeding, still havent seen much bill board advertising and the TV advert was short lived,,
Old 30-12-2011, 17:23   #14
The Express Valeter
Passionate about MGR.Cars.

The Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud of

Many will know me for being a die-hard MG & Rover owner/buyer, I still have the MG ZR-Express which unless someone offers me a silly price won't be sold, I still have my Rover 25GSi which I keep saying I will sell but then look at it & just can't see the point of selling it as it is just as good as when I bought it new!.

I have driven an MG6 & found it to be very nice indeed, handles very well & I would say as good as a ZS180, the TSE is very well equipped for the money. I have a regular customer with a Magnette so get to play around with one every so often & the build quality is very good & the MG6 is the only everyday car that I know of that has fully painted & laquered inner gulleys around the inner boot & bonnet areas.

As an MG lover would I buy one? -- No & this is not because I don't like it - I do apart from I think the plastics are a bit hard & Vauxhall like & the floor carpet is worse than the last MGR cars but the main reason is what appears to be a distinct lack of interest from MG to promote the car, there are no accessories as yet though 2 are nearly ready (tow bar & mud flaps) = Very poor indeed! but I like to personalise my car & there are no options whatsoever & no options to change the interior colours just all the same. Until they change this I won't be the slightest bit interested & it is too late now for a while as I have ordered a new car for March & it isn't the above!
The Express Valeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 20:20   #15
mattie007
The Green Machine

mattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to behold

Id really like a Magnette in white. Just needs a few more sporty touches and a big diesel for me.
Old 01-01-2012, 22:06   #16
Car13

Car13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud of

I would like one however as a company car driver why would you, the emissions are mad. Residuals are terrible and lease companies are not offering deals on them best I could find are below with 2 other cars of similar price which would give by far better performance and cost me less in BIK.

No fleet manager in there right mind will touch them, until Rover attach the fleet market like other far eastern manufactures they are dead in the water.

As a private user looking at personal contract hire
MG6 10k P/A no maintance 460
Skoda Octavia VRS 10k P/A no maintance 369
BMW 320d 10k P/A no maintance 370

Why would you have a MG?

MG need to make the car attractive to company car drivers and that
means looking at the BIK values which is based on emissions.

Company owners can right off 100% of cost in year one of a car thats
green hence you see hundreds of BMW's on road and very few MG's.

MG need to get the cars financed well as they did with ZR's interest free and free insurance for 21+ with 5 year 100K guarantee then they would be offering something worth looking at.
Car13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 23:39   #17
Aston MARTIN

Aston MARTIN is on a distinguished road

Hiya
I believe diesel versions are being tested. I don't think their a bad car for 16k compared with the price of a new civic. They just need to sort the quality of the plastics out.
Aston MARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:01   #18
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston MARTIN View Post
Hiya
I believe diesel versions are being tested. I don't think their a bad car for 16k compared with the price of a new civic. They just need to sort the quality of the plastics out.
TSE Magnette is knocking on the door of 20k though - not so cheap eh?

TBH though, the only reason I can see for buying the highest spec car is to get the better looking wheels rather than the hideous standard ones

Last edited by Gary Gee; 02-01-2012 at 17:16.
Gary Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 18:19   #19
Aston MARTIN

Aston MARTIN is on a distinguished road

The new civic 1.8 (non turbo)top spec was nearly 26k
Aston MARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 20:09   #20
scooter

scooter is a glorious beacon of lightscooter is a glorious beacon of lightscooter is a glorious beacon of lightscooter is a glorious beacon of lightscooter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston MARTIN View Post
Hiya
Just wait until you try it, its FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 20:32   #21
peteT16

Are they using the G series that was under development when MGR folded?
Old 07-01-2012, 20:52   #22
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteT16 View Post
Are they using the G series that was under development when MGR folded?
No.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 21:46   #23
Jay-ZS+

Jay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to behold

Wont bother me where it was made, think its a horrible looking car!
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 21:55   #24
ViT

ViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud of

It seems like more and more of them are getting crashed? I could name four that have been in accidents already. Anybody else noticed this?
Old 04-02-2012, 22:30   #25
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future

Wonder what TG will make of it this Sunday? (5th Feb)

Somehow think I have a rough idea since its not Italian and about 130000...
Old 15-02-2012, 22:55   #26
John Newey

John Newey will become famous soon enough

Just bought a MG6 GT 1.8T TSE in Granite Grey (well my wife has!). Fits nicely with our MG ZT400 SE, MGR V8, MG X-Power SV-R and MGF 1.8i! I am a MG franchised dealer, but I'm a serious MG nut too! What I fail to understand is why anyone who loves MG would look at any other marque if the MG6 fits the bill? It drives great (better than a ZT), looks good, has MASSIVE spec (no other car comes close for the money!) and returning 32mpg. Lastly and most importantly two letters in an octagonal badge on the grille.......MG !
John Newey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 23:46   #27
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newey View Post
Granite Grey
You need to get her some stickers like this Granite Grey one:

Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:24   #28
GNASHER
Old Road Hound

GNASHER has a spectacular aura aboutGNASHER has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car13 View Post
No fleet manager in there right mind will touch them, until Rover attach the fleet market like other far eastern manufactures they are dead in the water.
Avis have.
Old 18-02-2012, 17:51   #29
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

I bought one the other day

Old 18-02-2012, 18:54   #30
mattie007
The Green Machine

mattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to behold

Left hand drive, indicators in wing and dodgy paint job. Must be one of them Chinese eBay ripoffs
Old 19-02-2012, 10:06   #31
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Left hand drive, indicators in wing and dodgy paint job. Must be one of them Chinese eBay ripoffs
Rumbled!

TBH this model is probably one of the best selling aids they can have - its a great model and the more I look at it the more the thought of a real one appeals
Old 20-02-2012, 10:57   #32
mattie007
The Green Machine

Has someone hacked into Garys account?
Old 20-02-2012, 11:13   #33
ian zs180

ian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gee View Post
I bought one the other day

Them wheels would look nice on my zed . omg there horrid what am i thinking they look like cheap wheel trims you get from b+m bargains
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 12:36   #34
mattie007
The Green Machine

I agree, the 6 really does need a wider choice of wheels. The TSE wheels are nice but it would look good with straights or mk2 11 spokes.
Old 20-02-2012, 18:14   #35
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

The only reason to buy a TSE in my view is for the better wheels - could live without the other bits n bobs, plus the leather looked poor in the one i looked at.

Tags
china, mg6