MG6 Magnette (Saloon) - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG6

Old 11-06-2011, 15:58   #1
shroonie29
Audi S4 500HP

shroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond repute
Default MG6 Magnette (Saloon)

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011...motor-circuit/

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53   #2
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future
Default Re: MG6 Magnette (Saloon)

Looks way better as a saloon but why is it so high at the back - did they really want to go for the Austin Princess look?
Straightening the above pic so the wheels are level shows it even more, rather than having a roof rack they could offer some kind of pullout undercar storage tray / drawer:
Old 09-07-2011, 23:56   #3
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Jerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud of

Anyone bought a Magnette - looks sorta OK....?
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 23:57   #4
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Jerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroonie29 View Post
All links busted....
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03   #5
shroonie29
Audi S4 500HP

shroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
All links busted....
AROnline is currently off-line for maintenance.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22   #6
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroonie29 View Post
AROnline is currently off-line for maintenance.
Oh yes - looks troublesome. Sites are not usually off line for so long. My site moved servers and only problem for 2 hours was DNS propagation.

Hope he sorts it as its the best MGR resource on the net.
Old 10-07-2011, 14:20   #7
MartinW
Chinese Crackers

MartinW will become famous soon enough

Too much traffic, Keith's new server provider pulled the plug on Thursday, he has now got the database back up online on another new server.

How are you doing, Jerry?
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 14:34   #8
MartinW
Chinese Crackers

Just to add, I was down at the dealer yesterday, he had two Magnettes in. One was in the blue, the other in the fab 90s colour of Champagne Gold...

Anyway, personally, I'd say the saloon doesn't do as much for me as the GT does, the GT somehow seems to combine ZT/75 styling with the SD1/800 tailgate to give someting that is just a little different from all the other hatches on the road. The Vx Insignia is about the closest in looks that I have seen that manages to pull of being a hatch without looking like a chopped off saloon.

The red and black are my two personal favourite colours for both the Magnette and the GT, they remind me of the 'in-yer-face' colours that the Z range did so well and help the car stand out. The sunroof on the Magnette is a bonus, though.
Old 17-07-2011, 13:05   #9
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future

Actually saw the 6 yesterday at CPOP, Magnette far better looking IMO. Blue Magnette looked great but not overly keen on design of dash at all plus the leather seats didn't look as if they would be very hardwearing

Old 17-07-2011, 13:41   #10
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Not a bad looking car.
Old 17-07-2011, 15:02   #11
The Express Valeter
Passionate about MGR.Cars.

The Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Anyone bought a Magnette - looks sorta OK....?
One of my customers has just ordered one.
The Express Valeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 16:06   #12
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Told the dealer there that if he could give me 15k for the ZS I may be interested...
(That blue Magnette is 20k, ok cheap compared with some but not exactly a price to attract me tbh)
Old 17-07-2011, 20:42   #13
Car13

Car13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud of

Problem with car is that you can get top spec Skoda VRS with DGS box for less..

RRP below and most dealers will give you interest free credit Leeds dealer 19500 on road... Sorry MG but your just not being sensible on price.

Skoda also do a oil burner.......

vRS 2.0 T FSI 200PS DSG vRS 17,229.17 3,445.83 21,540.00
Car13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 21:14   #14
Kelvin Fagan
MG ZT-T 190

Kelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant futureKelvin Fagan has a brilliant future

the Saloon does look better than the 6,
I wonder if it will impress's more than the 6?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...ES-MARTIN.html

Last edited by Kelvin Fagan; 18-07-2011 at 13:36.
Kelvin Fagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 11:59   #15
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin Fagan View Post
the Sallon does look better than the 6,
They had a GT there too - says something that I hardly looked at it and took no pics of it (partly as it had those hideous "twist" alloys, yuk!), it does have a huge boot but then so does the Magnette.

Not sure if I had 20k to spend that it would make my shortlist tbh, love MG but I rather buy something "known" if I had to. Something like the Skoda mentioned above - been making them for years so any probs should be sorted.

Think the cheapest 6 (of either version) makes most sense MG wise. Main thing about the top of the range for me would be the leather seats and tbh they don't look up to the job, have heard of someone with one that has only done 1000 miles and its get baggy already.

If I HAD to have one it would be the Magnette S and somehow get hold of some of the "straight" alloys but even then you're looking at about 16-17k or so...

Sounds like MG put a lot of effort into preparing that press car for Mr Martin, thats quite a worry - press / demo ones "should" be the very best they can do

Last edited by Gary Gee; 18-07-2011 at 12:06.
Gary Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 13:08   #16
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Quote:
the Sallon does look better than the 6,
With a review like that - it's curtains. Why would a private buyer risk his own money? They won't.

Time for a Skoda???
Old 20-07-2011, 11:47   #17
mattie007
The Green Machine

mattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to behold

I really don't see an issue with the interior quality. A mate of mine who just bought a new Astra, feels no different quality wise.
Just saw a Magnette near Peterborough, looks very nice on the road and stands out more than you think.
Maybe these 'quality' issues can be sorted on the mk2.
Didn't realise you can get a new VRS for 17k, that is a bargain!
Old 20-07-2011, 12:05   #18
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
I really don't see an issue with the interior quality. A mate of mine who just bought a new Astra, feels no different quality wise.
Just saw a Magnette near Peterborough, looks very nice on the road and stands out more than you think.
Maybe these 'quality' issues can be sorted on the mk2.
Didn't realise you can get a new VRS for 17k, that is a bargain!
Have you felt the leather on the seats? Its like what you'd make some ladies gloves out of and in the one I saw felt about as thick as polythene.
Can't really say much for quality of interior, but then nobody can yet - it takes some time to see what drops off / stops working. Problem with interior for me is theres no "design" to the door pads (but can ignore that really as tbh you don't really see them once you're sat inside) and the dash is too mich of a mix of shapes - the glaring ones IMO being the use of two shapes of vent and about 500 buttons on the centre console.

Surely on a new car you shouldn't really be hoping for things to be sorted on the MkII? Whatever happened to "right 1st time"?
Old 20-07-2011, 12:09   #19
mattie007
The Green Machine

mattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to behold

I agree mate but my point was the quality doesnt seem an issue but that might be because im used to a ZS!
Agree about the seats though, very poor.
Time will I guess.
Old 20-07-2011, 19:52   #20
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

If MG keep going (and to me thats a big IF) I'd possibly consider a 2nd hand Magnette in a few years (preferably fully UK built) but it would have had to prove itself in the mean time.
As for a new buy now, absolutely no chance on this earth - far too many unknowns and I haven't got the best part of 18k fallin out of my ass!
TBH you've almost got to be willing to throw that money away, if they don't make a go of it, the car turns out to be a dog etc

Oh and if I did have one it wouldn't have that leather LOL
Old 20-07-2011, 21:39   #21
Parsec
Still not cured of MG addiction

Parsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the Saloon does look better than the 6,
I usually find James Martin a complete nob-end but actually that review was very objective and he seems to know his cars. But even though he wanted to like it, he didn't. Shame.

The thing that bothers me most about the 6 and the Magnette is that the waistline is far too high. Sounds trivial but my Hyundai Coupe (Gen 3) was like that and I never felt like I could place it on the road properly, it put me off driving it quickly and enjoying it.
My blog: http://www.blitterandtwisted.com - technology, gaming and entertainment
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 22:06   #22
ViT

ViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car13 View Post
Problem with car is that you can get top spec Skoda VRS with DGS box for less..

RRP below and most dealers will give you interest free credit Leeds dealer 19500 on road... Sorry MG but your just not being sensible on price.

Skoda also do a oil burner.......

vRS 2.0 T FSI 200PS DSG vRS 17,229.17 3,445.83 21,540.00
Bingo I totally agree

However, the saloon six looks ten times better, the MG 5 is looking better still. But it's a fair whack of cash to put on a car, and to coin a clarkson expression the six doesn't "put it's hands down my pants and play". For the Money, I'd be buying a Alfa 159. The MG6 Magnette may prove a good second hand buy, or a car to buy now and sell in 3 years
Old 17-09-2011, 18:23   #23
KirkJames

KirkJames has a spectacular aura aboutKirkJames has a spectacular aura aboutKirkJames has a spectacular aura about

Will little passengers in the back be high enough to see out of those too high and tiny rear windows...............More window and less door and that would of looked a lot better and would of had a lower stance look imo
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 20:43   #24
MartinW
Chinese Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkJames View Post
Will little passengers in the back be high enough to see out of those too high and tiny rear windows...............More window and less door and that would of looked a lot better and would of had a lower stance look imo
No, they struggle a bit but that's the price of designing for the Euro NCAP 5* rating which these have gained.
Old 19-09-2011, 22:48   #25
KirkJames

KirkJames has a spectacular aura aboutKirkJames has a spectacular aura aboutKirkJames has a spectacular aura about

Ah reet, fair do's, I'm all for safety anytime
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 11:21   #26
RRC
Pass me that metal!

RRC is on a distinguished road

I really like. I can see so much potential in terms of improving the looks. Just needs hitting with some air-ride and a nice set of 19" Schmidt TH Splits IMO to sort the stance out. I'd look at getting one in 3-ish year when the depreciation has knocked them down a bit, and hopefully have a diesel out by then. That way it'd leave some cash to get the interior re-trimmed properly in a better quality leather. The style of the interior is fine, it's just the Vinyl-look leather that spoils it.

I'd have to have a black one though. I can honestly see that looking hot in a Nu-Wave style.
Old 27-10-2011, 13:29   #27
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
No, they struggle a bit but that's the price of designing for the Euro NCAP 5* rating which these have gained.
As far as strength is concerned they should have more than 5 stars, this one has a 30 tonne truck complete with it's load of gravel on top, The car was stuck, but the doors still open and the driver climbed out shaken but uninjured:

Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 19:23   #28
mattie007
The Green Machine

That's amazing. MG really need to shout about how safe it is. That's the only reason Renault sell cars afterall!
Old 27-10-2011, 19:53   #29
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
That's amazing. MG really need to shout about how safe it is. That's the only reason Renault sell cars afterall!
Does anyone actually think that a Renault would survive a truck landing on top of it

I was also impressed by the new MG3 looking like it could be repaired after the NCAP front impact test, and getting a higher score than the VW Polo that was tested at the same time:

I wouldn't like to be in it during the impact though: http://video.sina.com.cn/p/auto/v/20...861479807.html
Old 28-10-2011, 10:29   #30
redzs180

redzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to all

why do they keep putting small bloody wheels on???
Old 28-10-2011, 11:09   #31
The Express Valeter

The Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud ofThe Express Valeter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
As far as strength is concerned they should have more than 5 stars, this one has a 30 tonne truck complete with it's load of gravel on top, The car was stuck, but the doors still open and the driver climbed out shaken but uninjured:

On a different note - note the sharks fin on the roof!
Old 28-10-2011, 11:13   #32
The Express Valeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzs180 View Post
why do they keep putting small bloody wheels on???
Chineese Spec.
Old 29-10-2011, 14:07   #33
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Express Valeter View Post
On a different note - note the sharks fin on the roof!
Maybe we have different radio in the UK and need long whip antennas for a decent signal?
Old 04-11-2011, 14:46   #34
ViT

ViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
Maybe we have different radio in the UK and need long whip antennas for a decent signal?
Or rather, do the Chinese have digital radio? We need massive aerials because of the radio frequencies we use, If China is all about digital radio it would need a tiny areal
Old 04-11-2011, 17:24   #35
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViT View Post
Or rather, do the Chinese have digital radio? We need massive aerials because of the radio frequencies we use, If China is all about digital radio it would need a tiny areal
They do use DAB2 - more advanced than us, but pictures of their facelift car which has yet to be released show the long antenna along with a few other features that we currently have and they don't such as indicator lamps in the mirrors.