ZS180 vs Hot Hatches & wins! - Page 5 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG ZS

Old 28-12-2004, 20:41   #141
Dave V6
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ZS180 vs Hot Hatches & wins!

so do you reckon it was n't very good through bends or other bloke was a puff.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Dave V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2004, 21:04   #142
Byron
The mechanic

Byron has a spectacular aura aboutByron has a spectacular aura about

Dave take it from me there is no other hot hatch on the road that handle's like the current breed of 's,and i have drivern most the ZR is the modern day Mini and the ZS well it's in a class of it's own nuff said.

All the ford ST range handle but they don't handle like the ZED's
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 21:57   #143
lewerty1

Tournaments Won: 2

lewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to behold

seems to be a load of people out and about this month perhaps its the cold air, the nissan sunny gtir are good it a straight line but s**t around corners and brakin so would be good on track, as 4 the clio i have beaten a 172 b4 and test drivin a 182 for a laugh didnt seen as fast as mine ??? the ctr there is a black one round my way was even all the way i couldnt overtake him and he couldnt pull away from me

james
lewerty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-12-2004, 01:42   #144
Parsec
Still not cured of MG addiction

Parsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebreen
anyone tackled an st170 focus just had one behind me looking a bit lively but he just turned off,theyre just high revving screamers arent they,168 bhp i think so not much diff there but lot more torque in zs i should think and a lot lower down the revs,id have put him in his place i think especially as my zs should be making more bhp than standard.Im hoping when get manifold on which is asap (can't get hold of h and s yet)car will be almost making 168 at wheels as zsv6 got 166 without chip.
The ST170 is ****e. It has about 80bhp until it hits about 6500rpm. Then it has about 150bhp for a split second then you have to change up. I'd be gutted if I lost to one in a ZR120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSV6
I was driving on the Nordschleife the other day when a Megane sat on my bumper, looking in the rear view i noticed the front spoiler looked odd so being in second i thought i should crack the whip! It stayed with me in second but by the end of third i was just pulling away and in forth it was all over
Intrigued as to what the car was i slowed down but the driver was reluctant to pass so i slowed right down and to my suprise as it passed i see two exhaust pipes out the back,IT was a Megane 225
No way Are you serious? What exactly have you done to your ZS? :xcool:
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 18:24   #145
Dave V6

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute

If lightening your car makes it quicker, how much do you think it slows it when its full,i just came home with me,mrs ,3kids, smallest one in a baby chair, full tank of gas ,boot full to overflowing and a big disk lock(for steering wheel)in footwell(passenger side).Reckon car was not far off 200 kg heavier than when im in on my own with no baggage,could deff feel it was slower, but still convincingly blew away a zt(don't know what model)from lights.
What do you think 0-60 with extra 200kg would be,bearing in mind zt 190's time i reckon about 8.5 secs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 01-01-2005, 18:41   #146
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

blue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond repute
XPF Re: ZS180 vs Hot Hatches & wins!

dont really know how much extra time it'd take to hit 60mph with a FULL car like what you had,but when the standard 0-60 time for a 180 is 7.3-you can have quite a weight penalty and still be faster than the zt-which is a bigger car to start off with!

Yes the zt190's are ever so slightly more powerful than the zs180's,but you,ve still got the advantages of having the lighter car-which is probably were most of the extra 0-60 sprint time comes from(could be to do with gear ratio's aswell as i could well believe that the zs will be slightly lower geared than a zt!)

14.4 @ 102mph - nailing good 60ft's is a cow

Chrono Yellow FL LCR - turbo power is just so addictive!!!
blue harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 19:29   #147
Dave V6

I think its closer than that,i'd say if you had a zs180 with driver and passenger and full tank of fuel and zt 190 just with driver and low fuel there wouldn't be much between em,the difference between 7.3 and 7.9 in reality is very little which is why zs180 can dice with ctr's and the like,cause half a second difference in 0-60 times isn't much out on road,you can lose more than that changing gear or a bit of wheelspin.

Old 01-01-2005, 22:26   #148
Parsec

Parsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue harbour
Yes the zt190's are ever so slightly more powerful than the zs180's
The ZT190 is more powerful but it sacificees midrange - ironic for a heavy car. The ZT flies for a big car but round a track if you ever end up below 5000rpm it get bogged down, whereas the ZS flies regardless of speed
Old 03-01-2005, 12:58   #149
lewerty1

lewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to behold

my m8 read somewhere that the zs has the same time 80-100mph or 70-90mph cant remember which he said, as a scooby?? was he lying or??
Old 03-01-2005, 13:01   #150
Ex-Member

Ex-Member has a spectacular aura aboutEx-Member has a spectacular aura aboutEx-Member has a spectacular aura about

"my m8 read somewhere that the zs has the same time 80-100mph or 70-90mph cant remember which he said, as a scooby?? was he lying or??"

He is lying -the ZS is quicker than a scooby

Kev
Ex-Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 13:03   #151
lewerty1

sweet which is it 80-1000mph or the other? u got a website that can compare stats??

ta
Old 03-01-2005, 13:10   #152
Ex-Member

Ex-Member has a spectacular aura aboutEx-Member has a spectacular aura aboutEx-Member has a spectacular aura about

u got a website that can compare stats??

James
I dont waiste my time with that nonsense,my stats come from the university of life based in Essex

Kev
Old 03-01-2005, 17:26   #153
Dave V6

Quote:
"my m8 read somewhere that the zs has the same time 80-100mph or 70-90mph cant remember which he said, as a scooby?? was he lying or??"

He is lying -the ZS is quicker than a scooby

Kev
Be very difficult to say,id imagine it'd be 70-90 because neither scoob or zs will go from 80-100 without going up into fourth and the gear change then is making it harder to judge were as 70-90 is just floor it in 3rd all the way,and the scoob would be quicker because at 70 in 3rd your highish up the revs so when you bury the throttle there'd be no lag it just goes,standard scoob has 30 more horses and same amount more torque so it'll always win ,but having owned both there's not much in it ,your only talking couple of car lengths if that.Having 2 cars side by side in 3rd ready to go is still very hard to judge ,a few tenths slower or quicker on the gas could make all difference.Zsv6's would be different however due to weight of 1140 ,is it, and the mods ,that would surprise a standard scooby.I think 4th gear in zs is brilliant,but 5th seems a bit lacking,prob cause ive had turbos.

Old 03-01-2005, 17:44   #154
Dave V6

Spose should have said which scooby?mine was classic shape 2000my but the bug eye replacement had same power but was 100kg+ heavier and noticably slower so if your on about bug eye then maybe.

Old 03-01-2005, 17:45   #155
Ex-Member

Dave

My car is only 1140 when i go to pod any other time it weighs the same as yours.
When you get the manifolds done you will change your opinion of the scooby,It was a super car ten years ago but today (performance wise) its no better than the current crop of hot hatches-CTR ect.
Kev
Old 03-01-2005, 17:56   #156
Ex-Member

Bug eye is what i;'m mainly talking about as Standard vrs Standard (standing start excluded but all i;'m saying is with manifolds the ZS is transformed and will give a standard classic a hard time.
Kev
Old 03-01-2005, 18:12   #157
180 Boy

180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold

I tend to agree with Kev here, the ZS is under estimated, when its been lightly tuned it's a good match for most of the other competition. The Scooby was the car in its day, still a car that most use as a benchmark but that title is falling away because of the technology being used in today’s modern FWD cars.
If MG were to have fitted a LSD and some electronic traction control how much better would the ZS have been??
Look how well it handles with out all the gizmo’s, loads of potential in the ZS.
Take a look at this years TOTB, the FWD cars are putting in quicker times than many of the RWD and a lot of the 4WD cars, times have changed, my own bubble turbo ran a 13.01 at 18 psi which equates to 285 bhp take a look at the DVD and see how quick these cars are. Andy Nichols is breaking into the 11’s in his T16.
FWD and traction isn’t the problem it used to be, better suspension set up, trick electronics, all this power can be put down on the road with out the transmission losses of a 4WD.
Round the twisty, the cars handle too.
All these figures account for very little in the real world of driving, OK, I know I don’t stand a chance against some of the newer Evo’s as they are just silly fast on the roads and handle, but with cars in the ZS own class it more than keeps up.

Eddie
180 Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 19:33   #158
Dave V6

Quote:
Dave

My car is only 1140 when i go to pod any other time it weighs the same as yours.
When you get the manifolds done you will change your opinion of the scooby,It was a super car ten years ago but today (performance wise) its no better than the current crop of hot hatches-CTR ect.
Kev
Quotes like this are doin my ead in ,ave got wonga for mani but aven't been able to get hold of h and s(flippin holidays),if they are back tomorrow it'll be booked in,its a long way to go but be fun coming home!! and expensive,petrol wise!!!

Old 03-01-2005, 19:41   #159
Dave V6

Any idea how much more noise it'll make as its loud enough really.

Old 03-01-2005, 19:54   #160
Dave V6

Shows what diff 100 odd kilos makes as classic scoob was over 3 seconds faster to 100mph than bug eye.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:07   #161
wirly
wait and see;-)

wirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to behold

i notice a difference alot now yesterday was behind a leon cupraR 225bhp job bout 45 and he floored it stuck to his bumper like glue even had to keep letting foot off pedal and when we got to bends jesus had to back off cus he was all over shop car was drifting and looked like he was going to loose it! i was quite suprised as i always thought they were good cars (or is that the mags talking??)
Old 04-01-2005, 01:21   #162
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirly
even had to keep letting foot off pedal
Isn't it satisfying when you have to do that while you're chasing someone
Old 04-01-2005, 10:29   #163
Dave V6

They are posed to be quick as well arent they? 0-60 6.7 secs

Old 04-01-2005, 13:56   #164
Ex-Member

"(or is that the mags talking??)"

Never bother with mag stats,only what i see with my own two eyes.
unless they are timed at the same time under the same conditions there meaningless.
Skoda pulled a stroke when they put a 225 enging in the RS and have its 0.60 listed in most mags as 6.7.There all at it and i reckon MG should start playing dirty too.
Kev
Old 04-01-2005, 14:11   #165
Dave V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirly
i notice a difference alot now yesterday was behind a leon cupraR 225bhp job bout 45 and he floored it stuck to his bumper like glue even had to keep letting foot off pedal and when we got to bends jesus had to back off cus he was all over shop car was drifting and looked like he was going to loose it! i was quite suprised as i always thought they were good cars (or is that the mags talking??)
Once saw group test in top gear mag i think, of top ten under steering cars and guess what was one of the group ,you got it cupra 225 ,came about 7th i think.

Old 04-01-2005, 14:16   #166
Dave V6

Quote:
"(or is that the mags talking??)"

Never bother with mag stats,only what i see with my own two eyes.
unless they are timed at the same time under the same conditions there meaningless.
Skoda pulled a stroke when they put a 225 enging in the RS and have its 0.60 listed in most mags as 6.7.There all at it and i reckon MG should start playing dirty too.
Kev
So yor sayin skoda put a 225 motor in octavia vrs then published figures sayin it was for the normal 180 variant,THAT STINKS.

Old 04-01-2005, 15:12   #167
Parsec

Quote:
Kev
Are you sure about that? The vRS is 180bhp isn't it? I've heard of some of the Audi diesels chucking out more power than they're supposed to have, but no the Skoda.

Is this only some of them? I've got a Top Gear group test of the ZS180, Octavia vRS and Bora Sport ( @Sport ) and the Octavia and MG were level pegging in performance. This indicates the 180bhp engine doesn't it?
Old 04-01-2005, 15:48   #168
wirly
wait and see;-)

wirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to behold

vw gp diesels do put out more than they say

remember seeing 2 skoda vrs models standard say 130 bhp buy when tested one was 148 other 150
Old 04-01-2005, 17:29   #169
Dave V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec
Are you sure about that? The vRS is 180bhp isn't it? I've heard of some of the Audi diesels chucking out more power than they're supposed to have, but no the Skoda.

Is this only some of them? I've got a Top Gear group test of the ZS180, Octavia vRS and Bora Sport ( @Sport ) and the Octavia and MG were level pegging in performance. This indicates the 180bhp engine doesn't it?
I think he means they did it just to get better figures as a one off ,not that some of em actually ave that motor in.

Old 04-01-2005, 17:39   #170
Dave V6

What did they say about skoda ,handling ,performance wise compared to zs.?

Old 04-01-2005, 17:51   #171
Ex-Member

"I think he means they did it just to get better figures as a one off ,not that some of em actually ave that motor in."
Spot on Dave

Auto car road test result for VRS
0-60 6.7
0-100 16.7
The saloon weighs 1352 & the estate 1390 so they aint light
Haven't got the top gear results to hand but it was like 7.8 to 60 and 20 seconds to 100.
I even reckon the Top gear car was ringer
Kev
Old 04-01-2005, 18:11   #172
Dave V6

Quote:
"I think he means they did it just to get better figures as a one off ,not that some of em actually ave that motor in."
Spot on Dave

Auto car road test result for VRS
0-60 6.7
0-100 16.7
The saloon weighs 1352 & the estate 1390 so they aint light
Haven't got the top gear results to hand but it was like 7.8 to 60 and 20 seconds to 100.
I even reckon the Top gear car was ringer
Kev
auto car talk poo obviously ,my 200sx was 197bhp 1265kg and had more torque and that needed 17.5 to reach 100.Autocars motor was obviously dodgy like you said,might ave been chipped but even so them figuresstill to quick,top gear sounds about right.I test drove a 180 leon(same engine)couple of years ago,torque rushed in low down but that was it ,most uninspiring engine ever and i told em so,they thought i was joking till i put keys in his hands and departed.No way it was quick as my zs.

Old 04-01-2005, 19:22   #173
pete247

pete247 is on a distinguished road

As some of you may know, the reason I bought a ZS180 was due to Skoda's customer service. The Octy vRS is a great handling car and quite quick too. A bit boring to look at compared to the ZS but good fun.
I was wondering, if the cars used for getting the 0-60 times etc have blue-printed engines as this will mean that they are exactly what they say on the tin but will be as good as possible with the highest bhp/torque etc?
pete247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 22:28   #174
MGLessTim

MGLessTim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec

The vRS is a 1.8 20 value Turbo putting out 180bhp. VW do a 1.8 putting out 225 but I dont think skoda got it. As far as i know its only available in the Seat Cupra R and Audi.
MGLessTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 23:03   #175
Dave V6

There all same company and the 1.8 is the same unit, just tuned .