ZS180 vs Hot Hatches & wins! - Page 4 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG ZS

Old 16-12-2004, 01:15   #106
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

blue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ZS180 vs Hot Hatches & wins!

Dont get me wrong!-im not sayin that mine is ****-it's just that for some reason the roads in and around chezzy at mo are shockingly bad in there lack of grip!-it borders on the scary on some of the roads just how slippy they are!

Cant see there been owt in it between the hatch and the saloon handling wise tbh,there's not all that much in it as far as length goes-(parked at the side of a zs hatch in town yesterday and was amazed how similar in length they are!)

14.4 @ 102mph - nailing good 60ft's is a cow

Chrono Yellow FL LCR - turbo power is just so addictive!!!
blue harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-12-2004, 09:38   #107
Dave V6
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by Dave V6; 17-09-2009 at 20:19.
Dave V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 10:55   #108
Parsec
Still not cured of MG addiction

Parsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirly
one thing me and dave have the hatchback which has less overhang at rear so bound to be slightly better round the bends

someone i know drove both and said the hatch is tighter :xcool:
That's not what I've heard. The 4-door is supposed to be better because the bodyshell is stiffer.

In response to the comments above about the scooby handling, a mate went to Rockingham on a track day. He drove the Elise, Exige, Ibiza Cupra and Scooby. He said the scooby was the biggest disappointment, understeered loads. Unfortunately he's never driven a ZS so I dunno how they compare.

My ZS180 doesn't understeer, it just turns flat and sharp!
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16-12-2004, 12:02   #109
180 Boy

180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold

This is all very positive feed back for the ZS, strikes me that the residuals are so low for such an underestimated car?
Just remember who designed and built the ZS? Some say it was over engineered, I would agree but look at the results for a road going car.
To compare a ZS with a Scooby is not a fair comparison TBH
The road going Scooby was designed around its rally roots as the ZS was for touring cars,
Both very different designs, if you were to back-to-back test both in the respective fields, track and dirt I’m sure the differences would be very noticeable.
On the road it’s a different story, the ZS does fair pretty well against most cars in it’s own class because of it’s overall package, good brakes coupled with it’s suspension seem to be the key, the KV6 is a little underpowered in it’s standard (out of the box) state, but the engine wasn’t fettled by Mr. Stevens, I’m sure if MG/Rover had spent a little more time looking at things like the induction and manifold set-up they would have faired a lot better in the market.
People are now starting to realize the true potential of the ZS180, with a little tuning work on the engine it can achieve good power at a reasonable cost, as has been said, the chassis and brakes are more than up to the job so won’t require major changes, maybe a set of up rated pads all round wouldn’t hurt if your looking at more than a few track days.

If I was on the market for used car for every day, and to use as a weekend track day weapon I would choose the ZS, cheap to buy and maintain, easy to strip out for track days, minimal mods required to increase the power. Nice 4-door car for the weekly Tesco run, sling the kids in the back, you don’t have to worry about leaving it parked and finding it gone on your return. Compare that to some of the other cars on the market, how many do you know that can do all this at a similar price,

180 Boy
180 Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 13:28   #110
Parsec

Parsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond reputeParsec has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180 Boy
This is all very positive feed back for the ZS, strikes me that the residuals are so low for such an underestimated car?
It's usually the way for saloons with thirsty engines. The ZS doesn't have as big a "following" as the Scooby either so there is less of a second hard market.

But those who do know how good it is get an absolute bargain!!

I'm wondering how much effect the new 04MY look will have on sales, the old car wasn't ugly or anything but it wasn't to everyone's tastes. The new ZS, especially in 180 form, really looks the business - everyone seems to like it!

And it now looks way different from it's Rover couterpart!
Old 16-12-2004, 19:54   #111
Dave V6

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Old 16-12-2004, 20:11   #112
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

blue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond repute
XPF Re: ZS180 vs Hot Hatches & wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebreen
don't sound like your confidence is to bad, iv'e not been doing any 4 wheel drifting!!!!!.i've not been going that quick at all lately,our roads are veeeery slippy too,i'm talking about when the roads are dry and grippy, any car front or rear drive will suffer from power over/understeer at minute.I'm planning on doing a track day next rear when weather picks up,we should all go and see what zs can really do,think we'll all be surprised.
Well maybe i did over do it a bit sayin i've got no confidence! ;x)

The only reason i've been doin any 4 wheel driftin though is down to sheer lack of grip,and not me pushin car-cos it's just to greasy at mo!-just been caught out a couple of times recently-by how slippy it really is-that's all!

Im deffo up for taggin along to some track days next year matey(money permitting that is! ;x) )-cos id love to see some 180's been put through their paces round track!-not gonna do it with my car though as i can't afford the cost of takin car on track,and the subsequent up keep of the tyres brakes etc!

I dont personally think they'll be any difference in handling between hatch and saloon cos the saloon shell will be stiffer which should counter any weight penalty between the two(which wont be much anyway!) ;x)

Old 20-12-2004, 14:38   #113
Dave V6

Old 20-12-2004, 20:09   #114
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

Dave!-dont bother mate trust me my dad's got one,and ive driven it!

The only way you're gonna stand a chance against one of these is:-

If the esprit driver doesnt want to race!or considers it a waste of time racing an mg!

If you catch him severly dosing and you're tankin it past him!-but even then if he decides to have a go at you he'll soon catch and pass you!

If the esprit is runnin very low on petrol and the onwer knows he's got to make what he's got left last!

Or if he's broken down! ;x) :xlol:

seriously mate these are rapid motors,and having been in the priveleged position of havin access to one and having driven it quite a few times i can say that the performance is way out of the 180's reach!

I was takin me fathers esprit to the petrol station recently(which just happens to be on a bypass! -most local station that sells super unleaded! ;x) ),i had a mate of mine in with me and we were disscusing the car and it's performance etc etc,and while the 5th gear pickup at approx 70mph isn't that great-if you knock it down a couple of cogs and open it up,then it really fly's and you soon end up well past 100mph!

The thing is with this car aswell is that because it's very low slung,and you're sat very near to the ground you dont realise that you're doin the speed you are!-ive been chattin away before and not realised that the speed has crept upto 100mph +,because it feels like you're only doin about 50 mph!

You may stand a chance in the twisty's if you've got more bottle and skill,cos the zs180 does handle superbly well-but if the esprit driver knows how to handle the machine at speed then again i think it'll be game over!

Zs180-176 bhp-0-60-7.3sec-140mph max!,book figures!

Esprit v8 se/gt 350 bhp-0-60-4.5sec-175 mph max!,book figures

As regards 3rd gear acceleration i can say from experience that while the 180's no slouch,the esprit is simply rapid-and silly speeds come up VERY FAST!

Old 20-12-2004, 23:05   #115
chris watton 66

chris watton 66 is on a distinguished road

It amazes me how little some people know about cars, and what they 'think' they can 'burn off', Blue Harbour is right, it's a no contest with a car with that much power, I still get Chavs take me on in their 1.6 Saxo's, I always let them go, and 3rd gear acceleration in a TVR Tamora is scary, nothing like a 1.6/1.8 or even 2.5 V6 engine, the faster it goes, the harder it pulls, and it doesn't seem to stop, but, that never seems to stop the saxos and Golf diesels in this world who think they're piloting the Starship Enteprise!
chris watton 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 00:34   #116
wirly
wait and see;-)

wirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris watton 66
It amazes me how little some people know about cars, and what they 'think' they can 'burn off', Blue Harbour is right, it's a no contest with a car with that much power, I still get Chavs take me on in their 1.6 Saxo's, I always let them go, and 3rd gear acceleration in a TVR Tamora is scary, nothing like a 1.6/1.8 or even 2.5 V6 engine, the faster it goes, the harder it pulls, and it doesn't seem to stop, but, that never seems to stop the saxos and Golf diesels in this world who think they're piloting the Starship Enteprise!

thats quite funny statement cus id like to see the TVR up against the 1.8 caterham R500 !!

it aint all down to size of engine
Old 21-12-2004, 07:48   #117
Dave V6

Last edited by Dave V6; 17-09-2009 at 20:20.
Old 21-12-2004, 19:03   #118
chris watton 66

chris watton 66 is on a distinguished road

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for last night's post, was feeling a tad antagonistic, it wasn't aimed at you guys at all! I had a nightmare W/E where on no less than 2 occasions some kid in a Saxo/Nova decided hi car was obviously faster than mine and tried to wipe not only me and my son out, but the cars in front too! Even had a Ford Racing Puma try to goad me! I must say, never an MG though , In fact, am thinking of getting a ZS 120 for the missis, as she wants a car with ABS, we sold our ZR160 for a Clio, but it is pitiful! trying to come out of busy juctions is a nightmare due to the lack of power, I think she misses the ZR to be honest!
So please, accept my apologies

Chris
chris watton 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 19:40   #119
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

Dave!-can we assume then that if you've had approx 2 cars a year for the last 14ish years,that the 180 is only a temporary thing-or are you plannin on keepin the zs a while!???(just curious really!) ;x)

Ive not had any kids try and have a go at me yet!,but im not out and about that much to see em!-generally only hear the usuall boom boom boom-of the stereo as they pass the house!-either that or the vrooooooom as they scream past at warp factor 9!!!!!!-mind you most of us have been there at one time or another!-havin a pop at somebody for the grin of it! ;x)

Old 21-12-2004, 19:42   #120
Dave V6

Last edited by Dave V6; 17-09-2009 at 20:23.
Old 21-12-2004, 19:49   #121
Dave V6

Last edited by Dave V6; 17-09-2009 at 20:22.
Old 21-12-2004, 19:57   #122
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

Quote:
its doing well aint it!nearly a year now,think records about 14 months! i get itchy feet!! to be honest im surprised myself by it ,still love every drive,got some mods soon to liven her up a bit more and never had a single prob,touch wood!!the old evo's a little tempting mind!!.

DAVE!!!!-dont be so predictable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :xlol: :xlol: -everyone goes down the evo/scooby route!!!!(granted you've already been down the scooby route though! ;x) )-stick with the mg!,or if you're gonna change it get somet different instead of followin the heard!

Mind you what am i sayin!!!!!!-yes go on change the 180!-satisfy you're hearts desire and get yourself an evo!!!!!!!!!-i can have you're bmc filter off of you then! ;x) :xlol: :xlol: :xlol: :xlol:

Old 21-12-2004, 20:15   #123
Dave V6

Old 21-12-2004, 21:36   #124
Dave V6

Old 23-12-2004, 18:54   #125
Dave V6

Old 23-12-2004, 18:59   #126
lewerty1

Tournaments Won: 2

lewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to beholdlewerty1 is a splendid one to behold

lol i had a smilar story, when i had a puncture had to put a space saver on and i met a few nice cars that wanted to play and i couldnt
lewerty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 19:11   #127
180 Boy

180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold180 Boy is a splendid one to behold

Every other car over here is a Diesel and they try so hard bless, I don't bother anymore because it cost me more in petrol than it does them in diesel to show em up. :xnot:
I have another car in the UK but that just aint playing by the rules, rather common looking Rover 200 Mk3 with a set of rims and big zorst, I pull up a set of lights and get those looks, come back when you have a real car,,,,,then bammm I let 350bhp loose on em, the looks are just something you don't forget :xeek: oh I'm so bad :xnot:

180 Boy
Old 23-12-2004, 22:41   #128
Marcus D

Marcus D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180 Boy
Every other car over here is a Diesel and they try so hard bless, I don't bother anymore because it cost me more in petrol than it does them in diesel to show em up. :xnot:
I have another car in the UK but that just aint playing by the rules, rather common looking Rover 200 Mk3 with a set of rims and big zorst, I pull up a set of lights and get those looks, come back when you have a real car,,,,,then bammm I let 350bhp loose on em, the looks are just something you don't forget :xeek: oh I'm so bad :xnot:

180 Boy
whats the 200 got under the bonnet????? A jet engine?? :xlol:
Marcus D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 00:00   #129
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtechie
whats the 200 got under the bonnet????? A jet engine?? :xlol:

bit of a guess ere but iirc its got a rover t16 turbo lump in their-could be wrong though! ;x)

Old 24-12-2004, 10:07   #130
180 Boy

Yep, T16 turbo lump, fits quite nice too, from the out-side the car looks a little strange if you look from the front because of the FMIC , other than that people assume its just a R200 with a BIG zorst and set of rims.
Oh boy its fun and a little scary,,,,,,,,, :xlol:

180 Boy
Old 24-12-2004, 11:36   #131
Dave V6

Last edited by Dave V6; 17-09-2009 at 20:24.
Old 27-12-2004, 22:43   #132
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

What have you done to the T16 to up the power from 200 to 350?
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Climate control in a mk1 consol
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 00:15   #133
Parsec

I "beat" a guy tonight, it wasn't exactly a race but was worth mentioning anyway.

There is a certain junction in Wigan where there are two lanes at the lights leading into one straight afterwards. This is a town centre junction, so instead of the second lane being long before closing out, it's actually about 30 metres long!

There was such a large queue of trucks and vans in the inside lane I thought I'd try my luck. I ended up alongside a Enrique Iglesias lookalike (i.e. daft hat!) in a black Pug 206 with serious wheels). He just sat there staring at my ZS!!

The lights changed and he was still staring!! I took off on amber and he didn't even move. I know the ZS looks mean but this chap was transfixed he didn't move :xlol:
Old 28-12-2004, 11:26   #134
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

Had a bit of a play with a sunny gtir on boxing day when coming back from a family get together at a pub near chatsworth(hadnt touched a drop btw),saw him come up behind me as we were coming out of matlock,and could see btw he flew up to my backend that he was up for it!-so i dropped a couple of cogs and floored it,and was amazed at how much he was having to try to make the gap back up!-anyway kept him behind me for a couple of miles untill i decided enough was enough and it was then that he pulled out and overtook me!-(still i was proud of the zed's performance-especially as i had got a full car-and he was on his own!) ;x)

Just goes to show how good the 180's can be-im pretty sure that if i had been on my own he would have had all on to catch me let alone pass! :xp:

Old 28-12-2004, 13:50   #135
Dave V6

Old 28-12-2004, 13:51   #136
Byron
The mechanic

Byron has a spectacular aura aboutByron has a spectacular aura about

Coming home from work on christmas eve had a bit of a dabble with a clio 2.0, he pulled away a little but the 180 soon got into it's stride and i was glued to the rear bumper,he pulled into the inside lane of the duel and i just floored it good-night clio .
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 14:34   #137
Ex-Member

Ex-Member has a spectacular aura aboutEx-Member has a spectacular aura aboutEx-Member has a spectacular aura about

Those sunny GTIR's have quite a reputation and allways put in fast times at the pod that i could never dream of touching but whenever ive come across one in the real world situation they dont seem fast.
At the rolling road day i went to there was a GTIR there that had 270 bhp at the fly but its wheel power was 170 which was hardly any more than my ZS :xconfused .
But by the sound of things you all have benn very busy boyz this christmas

I was driving on the Nordschleife the other day when a Megane sat on my bumper, looking in the rear view i noticed the front spoiler looked odd so being in second i thought i should crack the whip! It stayed with me in second but by the end of third i was just pulling away and in forth it was all over
Intrigued as to what the car was i slowed down but the driver was reluctant to pass so i slowed right down and to my suprise as it passed i see two exhaust pipes out the back,IT was a Megane 225
Kev
Ex-Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 17:36   #138
wirly
wait and see;-)

wirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to beholdwirly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
anyone tackled an st170 focus just had one behind me looking a bit lively but he just turned off,theyre just high revving screamers arent they,168 bhp i think so not much diff there but lot more torque in zs i should think and a lot lower down the revs,id have put him in his place i think especially as my zs should be making more bhp than standard.Im hoping when get manifold on which is asap (can't get hold of h and s yet)car will be almost making 168 at wheels as zsv6 got 166 without chip.

dave i do them in punto mate they aint that quick think its down to gearing its pretty poor
Old 28-12-2004, 19:39   #139
Dave V6

Talking Re: ZS180 vs Hot Hatches & wins!

Old 28-12-2004, 20:34   #140
Byron
The mechanic

Byron has a spectacular aura aboutByron has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
anyone tackled an st170 focus just had one behind me looking a bit lively but he just turned off,theyre just high revving screamers arent they,168 bhp i think so not much diff there but lot more torque in zs i should think and a lot lower down the revs,id have put him in his place i think especially as my zs should be making more bhp than standard.Im hoping when get manifold on which is asap (can't get hold of h and s yet)car will be almost making 168 at wheels as zsv6 got 166 without chip.
YES and he backed off when it came to the twisty stuff and that was a while ago now i was not in the 180,but my first MG the ZR 105 yes he was stuck to my rear bumper until the bends but he shat out
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote