Lpg 6 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG6

Old 19-02-2014, 09:49   #1
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lpg 6

Got made redundant on feb6. Got a new job on feb7, but I have to travel approx 150 miles a day to get there and back.
Decided to convert to LPG as would cost too much to buy diesel and would be racking up the miles too fast to justify new car.
Bookd in next week at maple garage near hull.
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-02-2014, 16:51   #2
higgi23
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection

higgi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lpg 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldon View Post
Got made redundant on feb6. Got a new job on feb7, but I have to travel approx 150 miles a day to get there and back.
Decided to convert to LPG as would cost too much to buy diesel and would be racking up the miles too fast to justify new car.
Bookd in next week at maple garage near hull.
Good to hear you got sorted jobwise,I do 130+ miles a day to work and back which averages around 90 a week in diesel in the R45.Let us know how the LPG pans out buddy and good luck with the new job........
Old 19-02-2014, 20:32   #3
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

sorry/congrats about the job

pop over to www.lpgforum.co.uk and share your conversion experiences
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Climate control in a mk1 consol
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 15:05   #4
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Lpg 6

all done.

Cost me 31 to come home from hull. 288 miles from sproatly to horsham. That also includes the 30 odd miles the garage did testing it.

lpg costs vary wildly from station to station, filled up at maple for 62p/litres filled up at horsham as it was getting low at 70.9/litre.

I will record all the fillups. I have made a spreadsheet to track mpg, lpg costs and what it would have cost me in petrol to do the same mileage.

I'll try and get some photos up later today/tomorrow. If you fancy a 6 but are worried about the economy then this could be the answer.

There was no noticable difference in how the car drove, if anything it was better.
Old 01-03-2014, 19:31   #5
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldon View Post
I will record all the fillups. I have made a spreadsheet to track mpg, lpg costs and what it would have cost me in petrol to do the same mileage.
www.fuelly.com

There is a website somewhere that lists LPG prices.
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Old 01-03-2014, 21:18   #6
aldon
Now in a 3

Attached photos are the only visible bits of the conversion.
Spare wheel removed and now in a bag in a slot at the back of the boot, I cant reach the back of the boot so not really lost any space there. Tank is in wheel well.
black filler cap is only thing visible on the outside and does let it down a tad. But there is not many options. I did have the option for a painted body colour one but they are known to peel and would inevitably look worse.
ECU between fuse box and battery.
Evaporator on the passenger side and filter/sensor assembly in the centre at the rear.
There is also a switch in the dash which shows the tank level and indicates which fuel it is running on or if there are any problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (58.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg image (2).jpg (36.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg image (3).jpg (41.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg image (4).jpg (43.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (43.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34   #7
Talkingcars

Does look very tidy except, as you say, the filer cap. Alternatives could have been the bumper which is not as secure or tow bar if one is fitted.
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Old 05-03-2014, 12:06   #8
aldon
Now in a 3

So far done 496 miles on lpg. 2 dummy runs to work to get a feel for the traffic and the trip home from hull plus a bit of local running around. The mileage is a mix of fast motorways, economical cruising on motorways and stood still m25 traffic jams to anything in between.

total cost of lpg is 52.70 which is equivalent to 56mpg in petrol. If it was petrol to do these miles it would have cost 88.16 from my local supplier (BP)

So far very happy.
Old 20-03-2014, 21:19   #9
aldon
Now in a 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgi23 View Post
Good to hear you got sorted jobwise,I do 130+ miles a day to work and back which averages around 90 a week in diesel in the R45.Let us know how the LPG pans out buddy and good luck with the new job........
Higgi, your average above works out at 7.2miles/

after 3 weeks of lpg i have done 2273miles at a cost of 260.12 or 8.7miles/ or a petrol equivalent of 52mpg.

I could do a lot better, last 2 days ive been trying, but on my way home and i get a clear bit of motorway im off!
Old 02-10-2015, 21:32   #10
aldon
Now in a 3

Talking Re: Lpg 6

Sold the lpg 6 as i fancied a change. had 3 years and 56000 miles of trouble free cheap motoring.

Now gone completly the other way and bought an outlander phev. had it for around 4 months and loving the electric driving experience.