Where are all the unsold 6s? - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG6

Old 06-04-2013, 08:30   #1
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future
Default Where are all the unsold 6s?

Given the "stunning" sales of the 6, where are all the ones that were "made" in UK excess to demand.
I've got no idea how many were produced but its got to be more than what they've sold - have they returned to the practices of old and filled up unused airfields and barns with them?
Just curious.
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 12:47   #2
smilerbaker

smilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where are all the unsold 6s?

Avis had quite a few of them, but the didn't renew the contract so handed them all back, no idea where all those ex- hire cars are now though
Carbon Catch Tank
Sheddist Clutch Kit
Ring Sticker
Janspeed Duplex Exhaust
smilerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 15:31   #3
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future

Even disregarding the Avis ones, unless they were only putting together about 5 per week at Longbridge there must have been an over production.
Unless they went out one end of the factory, got stripped down and sent back in at the start again?

Old 06-04-2013, 18:32   #4
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gee View Post
Even disregarding the Avis ones, unless they were only putting together about 5 per week at Longbridge there must have been an over production.
Unless they went out one end of the factory, got stripped down and sent back in at the start again?
Ha Ha I like that idea, a bit like a documentary I watched on N. Korea. A pop factory or something boxes came off one end then taken back to start and started again to make it look like production was happening.
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:07   #5
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Given the "stunning" sales of the 6, where are all the ones that were "made" in UK excess to demand.
I've got no idea how many were produced but its got to be more than what they've sold - have they returned to the practices of old and filled up unused airfields and barns with them?
Just curious.
You want to buy one don't you?

Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:31   #6
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Jerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud of
MG Re: Where are all the unsold 6s?

Where is this garage?
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:03   #7
redzs180

redzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to allredzs180 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Where is this garage?
definitely not in the uk! look at the palm trees everywhere!
Old 08-04-2013, 18:32   #8
Dave V6
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute

the wheels on them are utter 5h7te

Old 08-04-2013, 21:49   #9
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave V6 View Post
the wheels on them are utter 5h7te
Couldn't agree more with that Dave, worst design of wheel ever. And is the reason I ended up buying a tse. Just knew I wouldn't be able to live with the SE wheels.
Old 09-04-2013, 15:36   #10
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzs180 View Post
definitely not in the uk! look at the palm trees everywhere!
I can see palm trees out of my window and I am in the UK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Where is this garage?
Sydney
Old 09-04-2013, 18:59   #11
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
You want to buy one don't you?

Not even if they moved the decimal point a few places to the left mate! ROFL

Nice to see that you persist in promoting SAIC - not even a mention of Australia, Sydney, kangaroos or anything antipodean, yet you manage to roll out these same old pics again.

I really don't care whats happening on the other side of the planet - what worries me is the Chinese sticking what was once a well respected badge on their cars and trying (with pretty much no success) to pass them off as British, dragging the name far deeper into the dirt than I could ever have imagined.

Cue: not selling due to no advertising / public awareness replies....

What about people who have tried and walked away? I fall into that category, in that I took one out and was thoroughly underwhelmed. The huge BS off the dealer was a factor worth considering too - I actually do not think that the dealer in question has sold so far as many as they told me they had sold on the first weekend!
Theres telling a porkie to get a sale but then theres total BS too!

That white zebra striped one in the pic looks stunning, obviously a great dealership who values first impressions, not...
Old 09-04-2013, 19:36   #12
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
Not even if they moved the decimal point a few places to the left mate! ROFL

Nice to see that you persist in promoting SAIC - not even a mention of Australia, Sydney, kangaroos or anything antipodean, yet you manage to roll out these same old pics again.
You did ask what happened to the unsold ones, all those cars in the images are unsold RHD MG6s. MG do not sell cars in Australia
Old 09-04-2013, 20:44   #13
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
You did ask what happened to the unsold ones, all those cars in the images are unsold RHD MG6s. MG do not sell cars in Australia
So they have the same ****e marketing team in OZ - having a showroom in a country where they don't even sell them, what a complete waste of space these assholes are...
Old 09-04-2013, 20:49   #14
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Ahhh, I guess its not Sydney in Oz then or even the lesser known area of Crewe in Cheshire....

Even though this quote from you on .org seems to suggest otherwise:
"spelt it the wrong way, it is the one in Oz, not Canada or USA! "

This Sydney must be, errrrr, Cuba, no wait, Alaska, or Portugal, wait.... Bratislava.... err, I give up.

As stated above, I'm just interested in GB, UK, British, or whatever else you want to call them, sales - tbh that dealership looks as full of punters as a UK showroom so it may as well be Sydney, Crewe then...
Old 09-04-2013, 21:05   #15
Rally Matt

Rally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Probably same fate as all the unsold TF's they tried palming people off with, The Crusher.

Rally Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 21:52   #16
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Matt View Post
Probably same fate as all the unsold TF's they tried palming people off with, The Crusher.
I thought they had just about sold every one they have made?

Or are you talking about the ones built by MGR before they went bankrupt?
Old 09-04-2013, 22:01   #17
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
I'm just interested in GB, UK, British, or whatever else you want to call them, sales...
So buy one, and encourage a few others to do so as well...
Old 09-04-2013, 22:09   #18
Rally Matt

Rally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond reputeRally Matt has a reputation beyond repute

I may be speaking out of turn (like its ever bothered me before!)

My understanding is that most of the chinese built TFs (none were ever really made in longbridge, they took the wrapping off) were broken for spares and the remaining unsold shells were crushed.

I was offered stripped shells.

Almost none found real paying owners. So sad what Chinese have done to MG brand

Old 09-04-2013, 22:23   #19
aldon
Now in a 3

It's more sad what the phoenix four and the labour government did to MGRover.

At least SAIC have made an effort.

If people don't like them, so what. I don't like zs120's and TD's. But I have never slagged them off for being a rover 45 with an MG badge on the nose.

EDIT: Apart from just then
Old 09-04-2013, 22:48   #20
Windy
It's a big fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Matt View Post
I may be speaking out of turn (like its ever bothered me before!)

My understanding is that most of the chinese built TFs (none were ever really made in longbridge, they took the wrapping off) were broken for spares and the remaining unsold shells were crushed.

I was offered stripped shells.

Almost none found real paying owners. So sad what Chinese have done to MG brand
I don't think that is correct, the early MG Motor UK TFs were painted at Longbridge so must have arrived completely unassembled however the Longbridge painting wasn't up to standard so they then started painting them before shipping, still think they came in unassembled. They have now more or less run out of new ones to sell, certainly no stockpiles left, just the odd dealer with one left if that. I guess they had a pile of body shells left when they decided to stop production.
Old 09-04-2013, 22:53   #21
Rally Matt

Hmmm not what I was told but ..........its all smoke and mirrors

Old 10-04-2013, 10:58   #22
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Quote:
So buy one, and encourage a few others to do so as well...
You oviozry no undastan ingrish ver well -
READ MY POST ABOVE AS TO WHETHER I WOULD BUY ONE OR NOT - TO MAKE IT CLEAR AND SHORT:

CHINESE CAR WITH BRIT BADGE DOES NOT EQUAL BRIT AND CERTAINLY DOES NOT STACK UP AGAINST OTHER CARS PRICE OR QUALITY WISE.
Old 28-04-2013, 19:50   #23
mattie007
The Green Machine

mattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to beholdmattie007 is a splendid one to behold

A mate of mine has a new 1.0 Focus, cost 16500. For the same money you could get a top spec TSE that rides better, handles better and comes with far more kit. The interior plastics are similar and he can't get above 41mpg in the Fraud!
Old 13-05-2013, 23:27   #24
Boot Hill Bandit
Maestro 1600

Boot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to beholdBoot Hill Bandit is a splendid one to behold

I bought an Ex Avis car. I've been well looked after even with a few issues at the start.
Boot Hill Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 02:33   #25
kindofblue
Lighten up dude

kindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud of
MG Re: Where are all the unsold 6s?

On the TF front, they def had new ones in the Guernsey MG dealer (Carrus) because I have seen them up to last year in the showroom. They sell well here (climate + cheap 2 seater rag top) and no VAT so they were going for about 12K ish new I think.

Not sure about the 6 - there are a few driving around the island. They desperately wanted a diesel in the dealer. The 3 is doing well so far here - small cars suit the narrow roads and are popular... I asked in June and they had sold 33 this year so far. two passed me in the space of 5 minutes this dinner time.

P
225 / 40 / 17 - 7.5J AVON ZZ3's
EBC Green Pads
'Sheddist' Clutch
'Masher' Oil Catch Tank
Stebel Twin Air Horn
SCU Relay Upgrade
kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 00:42   #26
DeMoNPauL
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180

DeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond reputeDeMoNPauL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
On the TF front, they def had new ones in the Guernsey MG dealer (Carrus) because I have seen them up to last year in the showroom. They sell well here (climate + cheap 2 seater rag top) and no VAT so they were going for about 12K ish new I think.

Not sure about the 6 - there are a few driving around the island. They desperately wanted a diesel in the dealer. The 3 is doing well so far here - small cars suit the narrow roads and are popular... I asked in June and they had sold 33 this year so far. two passed me in the space of 5 minutes this dinner time.

P
Haven't seen many up here in Nissan Land
Janspeed 6-2-1 Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold
ITG Maxogen Open Cone piped to inner wing
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Matt Neal Limited Edition Alloys
Vredestein Giugiaro Ultrac Tyres
Lowered 30mm on (Motobuild Koni) Springs
Stainless Steel Catch Tank
Sheddists Clutch Kit
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Philips X-treme Power Headlight bulbs
Customised Engine Cover
Tinted Windows
Rear parking sensors

Team Bobin Head
http://teamvalleylandrover.co.uk/ - MG Rover/Landrover XPART Auto Service Centre
http://www.hiperformanceautocentres.co.uk/ - MG Rover XPART Auto Service Centre
www.exv-mobile.co.uk - Mobile valeter in the Kent Area

DeMoNPauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 05:05   #27
JLD
the voice of reason!!!

JLD is just really niceJLD is just really niceJLD is just really niceJLD is just really nice

I've seen a few of the Chinese TFs around but have yet to see an MG6 or and MG3 on the road.
There are tales of MG6s being sold, pre reg, for thousands below list price, presumably to get rid of them. Wouldn't surprise me to find that they have, effectively, been dropped from the range by the end of the year.