MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG6

Old 23-04-2014, 11:41   #1
AndyG2
ZTT 400 SHM - ZS 180

AndyG2 will become famous soon enough
Default MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain

MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain

http://www.motoringresearch.com/car-...ain-0423942348
Triumph Speed Triple 955i
AndyG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-04-2014, 19:16   #2
ian zs180

ian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to beholdian zs180 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain

They just need a nice 200+ bhp now and they might sell a few more .Its a shame they only do a 160bhp 1.8 turbo besides the diesel of course . I know a few people me included that say if they did a quick model they would be interested .
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 20:20   #3
jasons

jasons has a spectacular aura aboutjasons has a spectacular aura about

copy and paste from the article, which just about says it all for the halfwits who must have voted!!!

close shave with a prius and better than a porsche cayman!!!!!!!!!!

"It succeeds last year’s handling category winner, the Porsche Cayman, and joins a Driver Power handling hall of fame that also includes the Mazda MX-5 and Subaru Impreza.

The handling win is not the only success for the MG6 in the 2014 Driver Power survey, either: it also scooped a top 10 placing in the overall percentage ratings, coming in ahead of the Toyota Prius and BMW 1 Series in sixth place overall."
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-04-2014, 14:25   #4
Sneekyparrot

Sneekyparrot has a spectacular aura aboutSneekyparrot has a spectacular aura aboutSneekyparrot has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain

LMAO of course its the best FWD handling car and would tear a mugan honda to pieces

I would read jack ****e into that article considering the amount sold and were only to MG lovers

Sneekyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 14:28   #5
Sneekyparrot

Sneekyparrot has a spectacular aura aboutSneekyparrot has a spectacular aura aboutSneekyparrot has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain

looked round 1 once and took about 15 seconds to decide i would never have one!

if that release a wide body 300hp btcc rep with a new interior then i would be booking a test drive tomz, hell with even a diesel lump i would test it :-)))
Sneekyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 23:08   #6
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

well guys, I'm one of the half wits who voted!

25000 miles in, gas conversion and it is the best car ive owned and that includes 2 x zs180's, zr, mazda 3 and saab 93.

continuing comments like this from people who havent even driven one have now driven the final nail in my xpower forum experience.

Adios!
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:18   #7
MGJohn

MGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to behold

Aldon, you shouldn't let the small hardcore of naysayers put you off what is otherwise a useful car enthusiasts site we have here. Over on MG-R.org there is a small hardcore of naysayers who are an incessant PITA with never a single helpful contribution to any Chinese MG thread. Any thread come to that. There was a time when I would reply countering their incessant negativity. I no longer bother to do that now. Far more effective to ignore and let them stew in their own poisonous bile.

Reminds me a little of when I bought my first MG back in the 1960s. A pull handle MGB. Superb little car and the first of a total of five MGBs over the next two decades. I was told in no uncertain terms that it was not a proper MG... What do they know ... nowt that's what ...

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 20:10   #8
ViT

ViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud ofViT has much to be proud of

We now own an MG3, MG6 and the MG ZT190.

Yes, the MG6 is one of the best handling cars on the road, and it is a fantastic car to live with and own. I really don't care about nay-sayers. How many people who don't know slate the Zed cars after all?
Old 06-07-2014, 20:50   #9
jasons

its all right the mg6 owners banging on about naysayers - who they assume have never driven an mg6, else they would be in utter awe of it!

Yet, how many mg6 owners have driven the porsche boxster boxster in anger, and the other cars which the 6 is supposedly better than? - Because the porsche has an amazing chassis, far superior to the 6 which is loosely based on BMW and a bit of r75.

My word no doubt means nothing amonst 6 owners, as having driven one I chose not to again, so here is the word of a Kia dealer who really wanted to take on the MG dealership, and so did MG, MG told him the MG was a far superior car to the Kia!!! yet once he drove the 6 he commented that its not a patch on the equivalent Kia and not a car he could pitch against the Korean rival.
No doubt he was utterly wrong too and 40 years in the trade means nothing.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:20   #10
MGJohn

MGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to beholdMGJohn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain

What a pointless comparison jasons.

Did the pendulous Porsche have 4 or 5 adults and their luggage in it with relative comfort too?

I was 'in the trade' forty years and more ago. Far too many 'in the trade' have prejudicial poor and tainted judgement. Your forty years in the trade example probably believes "they all do that" too.

There again, I'm very prejudiced too. My first years of car ownership experience soon taught me a maxim which has stood me in good stead ever since all those years ago. It is this.

BEWARE PROFESSIONALS and not just those in the Motor Trade either.

I have not driven an MG6 so cannot say either way. In the unlikely event it handles better than say an ordinary MG ZS as some owners of both seem to indicate, then it must be at least a little special for an ordinary production car.

If impromptu visits through a hedge backwards are your thing, pendulous Porsches are for you based on the evidence of a roundabout exit not far from me. Several Porsches have done just that and the holes punched through the hedge are still there too. Mind you a BMW Z3 ( clown shoe type ... ) was the latest arse-backwards addition to that roundabout exit on the day I drove up to the pride of Longbridge back in April. I had the car camera on and it's all there on the 32gb Sandisk.

That's pendulous rear wheel drive and superior ultimate driving machines' handling for you.

I took a picture of one of the Porsches which was a very high spec one with a very distinctive private plate. Looked very sad as it was taken away on a recovery flatbed which by pure coincidence I saw that later in the day a few miles away too. I say was high spec because almost certainly an economical write off. Was a sad mess.

B>>M>>W ....

Old 08-07-2014, 22:57   #11
jasons

and the title was...

Re: MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain"

not 'what car goes in a straight line with 5 people and luggage'!!!!

I never found the cockster a pendulous car, but then we're into driving credentials which would only be cause for upset!
Old 09-07-2014, 00:08   #12
MGJohn

Not seen a SIX through a hedge arse backwards.

Always a first time though!

You appear determined to not see the difference.

Carry on.

For an ordinary production car, irrespective of the number of occupants, it is still possible for such a car to have good handling.

Panamera excepted, the only Porsche I ever considered owning, unlike other Porsches, the location of the Boxster power plant is mid car more like that of an MGF. Which, is also pendulous, but not as pendulous as many in the 9** series.

Edited to insert the S midway in the name Porches ...

B>>M>>W ....

Last edited by MGJohn; 09-07-2014 at 00:16.
Old 10-07-2014, 22:18   #13
jasons

I did not like the 911 yaw angle and I would not want to drive one in the wet!!! Josh webster made the right move at donny with the 911 in the btcc support race, says a lot.

The cockster will pull more lateral G than most family cars, mg6 included and has a very clever chassis. Personally, I feel this is a better handling car!

Not that the 6 is a bad car, yes, its prices fall quicker than a pork pie at a jewish wedding, and as your in the trade you like me probably clocked the 12plate with 25k trade for 5.5k, now whilst we will either laugh or shed a tear for the poor guy or gal who bought it new and lost (if they paid list) 12,000 of their best english pounds - thats 50p per mile in depreciation alone, it has at least been a great used buy for the person who has picked it up so cheap.

putting things back in perspective...
Do I think its the 'best' handling car? not on your nellie!
Do I think its a bad handling car? not at all, it handles well, but so does a kia and many others.
would I buy one new? have I fool written on my forehead?
would I pick one up for a steal 2nd hand (as above)? not personally, but I would recommend it to someone else tho.
Old 10-07-2014, 23:17   #14
MGJohn

Talking Re: MG6 voted "The best handling car in Britain

Not driven the SIX but have driven Porsches.

From my way of seeing things, that can never be a valid comparison on a horses for courses basis. So very different means of getting about.

No time for the mid and rear engine configuration Porsches. Would love a Panamera though. You know, the car many Porsche enthusiasts have a strong dislike for ...

Regarding your stance on depreciation. Anyone who pays full list for any car is a mug. There are one or two of those about.

A friendly neighbour and long time friend has had a Boxster or two for over ten years ... probably closer to fourteen.

For some of those early years he always castigated me for my car choice of mainly Rovers and MGs, incessantly going on about superior German engineering and reliability. Soon after I bought my MG ZS new in 2003, his son came over and told me his Dad's Boxster had burnt out it's engine leaving Dad stranded on the hardshoulder of the nearby M5. The car cost more to repair than I paid for my new ZS 120 on the road!

Talking to Boxster Dad sometime soon after he told me the unfortunate story of his car. I was very tempted to go into revenge mode ... but did not and I did not let on that I already had the news from his son. He then asked how my still fairly new MG was performing. I explained that as it happened, my wife and two sons had just returned from a touring holiday on the continent where they covered well in excess of two thousand miles in the fully loaded car. My son casually let slip that he cruised it well into three figure mph ~ the rascal. The car was faultless and a delight to drive, Still is ten years later.

Guess what Boxster Dad then said to me.... it's a classic :~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster Dad
That's Honda engines and reliability for you.
That in a nutshell is the huge difference between brainwashed UK car consumers, badge snobs and car enthusiasts.

Still, there's an upside. He NEVER castigates me for my choice of cars now or for all those years since.

Funny old game folks and cars ...

Anyway, the best handling car in Britain is my son's Lotus Elise S2... So there. Complete with Rover K-Series engine located behind the driver, but not behind the rear axle ...

Who knew ... we did ... Useless when the family need to go out though....

B>>M>>W ....