Are they any good? is this good value for money? - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG6

Old 31-10-2013, 16:01   #1
JimmyCoupe

JimmyCoupe has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyCoupe has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyCoupe has a spectacular aura about
Default Are they any good? is this good value for money?

My MG ZS 180 mk2 just wont stop leaking water into the car and I'm so fed and depressed with it that my wife told me to go look at the MG6 the car I wanted to buy 6 months ago. Now when I looked 6 months back the car was over 10,000 but when I have just looked now AppleMG can do me a MG6 GTS 1.8 turbo 61 reg with 15,000 for 6,995. Wow, why oh why weren't they this price 6 months ago.

Now before I commit I just need to know once and for all if they are any good? I'm booked in on Saturday to test drive the car but I am interested in other forum members views on the car. Website reviews talk about poor materials and build quality and that the engine is loud and lacks power. Some sites appear harsh where others appear ok'ish on the car.

I think its fantastic value at 6,995 but what do you think?
JimmyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-2013, 17:04   #2
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are they any good? is this good value for money?

I would only point out that if it's that cheap now how much more are you going to lose in the 2 or 3 years of your ownership.

The people who own them seem to have posted generally favourable reviews.
Old 31-10-2013, 17:12   #3
JimmyCoupe

JimmyCoupe has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyCoupe has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyCoupe has a spectacular aura about

Pete, I'm so depressed about my leaking tin can. It rained really hard again last night and my attempted fix on the drivers side leak failed yet again and don't get me started on the passenger side lake that had yet again formed. I bale water out every single time it rains and we aren't talking small amounts . I just don't know what to do and I think the wife just wants me to get back to normal. She knows how passionate I am about my MG's but she doesn't like seeing me depressed and sad. My dream Mk2 really has turned into a horror story. I guess in a joking way it suits the day we are on .

Old 31-10-2013, 18:27   #4
jasons

jasons has a spectacular aura aboutjasons has a spectacular aura about

any good?
not really, but everything is relative, want good, gonna cost you a whole lot more, but some may perceive the 6 to be good, opinion is relative also.

value for money?
where else can you get value like that? The kia prices for one are artificially high thanks to majority of first owners not being fleet or business, so dealers can have some control over resale value whereas MG chucked 1000 units into hire and they all hit the market a while later and many ended up with motorpoint, who probably paid 5k each for them.

Is the MG worse than an overpriced korean alternative? No.

Would I buy one? yes, if I wanted a newish car and I didn't do many miles and therefore didn't mind petrol economy.
Sooner buy an MG6 in this situation than a renault urinal or some other below average tosh.
you could do worse for the same money, but it will cost you more to get a better car.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 18:36   #5
JimmyCoupe

Thanks Jason your reply has made me smile . I am grateful for your reply, nice to hear just what people think. I have tried to read the other threads but I never get a true feeling from them so I thought I would start my own and just get as much feedback as possible.

I personally fell in love with the shape which some may hate, but after watching BTCC over the last 2 seasons the shape has just grown on me so much.
Old 31-10-2013, 19:00   #6
Craigzs180

Craigzs180 is on a distinguished road

I have always been a 50/50 on them to be honest, didn't mind the way they looked but other than the touring car never made me think wow. However, after going for a test drive 2 weeks ago again with Apple, it completely change my mind on the car. After jumping straight out of the 180 and into the 6 there was a very familiar feeling about it. Can't place exactly what as its more inline with the ZT from what I can make out but it feels very similar in the ways it drives which is a good thing.
A friend pointed out that its the same team on the assembly lines that setup the zeds so I suppose it should feel the same with the same people working on it, again a good point.
No it's probably not quite as brutal out of the box as the 180 but for what it is you can't knock the way it does hustle down the road and even at speed it still feels poised and informative.
Jason's right, it's not the nicest car out there but for the spec you get at that money I don't think there is much that can really rival the overall package of the 6.
Overall it is very good value for money in my mind and I am seriously considering getting one of I can afford to do it once my financial situation settles down.
Craigzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 19:26   #7
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute

I can appreciate your frustration with the water leaks, it can get really tedious baling it out after it's rained, and also the smell, and moist atmosphere making the interior a generally poor place to be, I was lucky that with both our mk2s sealing around the heater intake and using the rubber flap to direct water towards the drain holes cured the problem.
Old 31-10-2013, 21:18   #8
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are. Had mine now for a year and 12000 miles. Only thing had a problem with is the aerial broke, replaced under warranty.
I regularly drive an Audi a6 and that's in a completely different league, as Jason's says to get better your going to pay.
Also drove recently a new skoda Octavia and a new merc a class and a Mazda 3. None of those are a patch on the mg6.

I've got a tse and tbh I don't think I would like a lower spec as visibility is not the best when maneuvering. The gadgets in the tse certainly make everything easy.
Economies not as bad as they make out. I never get less than an averidge of 33mpg and you can easily get 40+
Build quality, on mine at least, is excellent. Leather still looks like new, carpets still clean and no scratches on the plastics.
Dash is soft touch not cheap and nasty hard stuff.
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00   #9
new160

new160 will become famous soon enough

I bought mine about a year ago. It was just over a year old and cost me 2k more than my 'new' zr160 cost me in 2005.
I bought the ZR with a one year aftermarket warranty and no manufacturer back up.

My MG6 came with two years manufacturers warranty and the manufacturer is still in business.
The 6 is tremendous value for money, great handling, very comfortable no rattles and very quiet. Not quite as sharp performance of handling as a modified ZR160 but covers the ground just as quickly.
Overall I get about 35mpg but can get it up to 50 if I take my time.
I have had minor problems but they have all been sorted reasonably quickly. That is once my garrage gets the approval from MG and the bits arrive. I have even has a couple of wheels replaced because the paint was pealing from them.
new160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 00:03   #10
Car13

Car13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud ofCar13 has much to be proud of

Mg6's used make for a great buy all the deprecation has happened keep for 3 years and you can't go wrong.

I used to do the same with Vauxhalls my 27k Signum 12 months old cost me 16 and when 3 years old I sold it 8.

All cars drop a lot.

Get a warranty and you will be laughing.

The alternative is look at what 6k would get you in used market plenty about depends on what you fancy.
Car13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:53   #11
jasons

6k would get you an e60 bmw 5 series 520d (engine of choice, forget the 525d) with leather and about 100k on the clock on a 55 or 06 plate.

personally, I would sooner be in the bmw, and personally I think even with 100k little would go wrong with it. It will return 50mpg easy and they drive like a dream, but it is older and it does have more miles, so horses for courses.
Old 08-11-2013, 16:57   #12
jowett

jowett is on a distinguished road
MG Re: Are they any good? is this good value for money?

Hi , My Brother as just got one paid 8000 one year old 7000 miles , cannot get better for that price, HAD 2 BMWs X5, 320 SPORT BOTH DIESEL GAVE PROBLEMS NEVER AGAIN. he has 2 MGs a zt with 30,000 and the mg 6 for a run around and very happy with the 6
jowett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 23:45   #13
jasons

heard a funny story from the horses mouth today, I shall not name the person as like many he would not appreciate bed press about mg6's, but the whole steering column collapsed into his lap, you could almost have swung it over to make it a left hand drive! Not good when your taking a corner on the limit at 110+mph!
yes, Bm's have their probs, as do all cars, but the 6 is not free from catastrophe either!
Old 10-11-2013, 13:00   #14
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future

Surely he felt something wrong before it fell off?
Old 10-11-2013, 20:25   #15
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gee View Post
Surely he felt something wrong before it fell off?
It was probably Plato's car, I can't see a standard production car having that problem or rounding a corner on the speed limiter!
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 20:51   #16
Gary Gee
Commission Number 000744

Gary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant futureGary Gee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
It was probably Plato's car, I can't see a standard production car having that problem or rounding a corner on the speed limiter!
If thats the case MG cant really be blamed, more like 888 (think its them prep cars?)
Old 10-11-2013, 21:26   #17
Windy
It's a big fan

Windy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant futureWindy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gee View Post
If thats the case MG cant really be blamed, more like 888 (think its them prep cars?)
Yes, although if they had built it then it would have been left hand drive to start with!
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 21:39   #18
jasons

std road car

(ref the ngtc cars, 888 know how to build a car, it is generally the toca parts that fail)
Old 03-03-2014, 23:27   #19
Martinb-05
MG ZS180 MKII 5 Door

Martinb-05 is a jewel in the roughMartinb-05 is a jewel in the roughMartinb-05 is a jewel in the rough

Hi With regard to the ZS do you know were to water gets in?

If it has had a new screen recently some do not seal this correctly.

Other think id a blocked heater lower duct. can happen if parked under trees??

Hope you can sort it.

ZS180 Mk II (5 door) in Ignition Blue with full Janspeed exhaust system as ex MG Sport & Racing
ZS180 Mk I (4 door) in Trophy Blue with Janspeed manifolds and cat plus Piper rear exhausts with twin exits, 18" wheels, ITG Induction kit fitted, re-mapped ingition.
Martinb-05 is offline   Reply With Quote