hopefully renting a 6 this weekend - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG6

Old 13-08-2012, 21:35   #1
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute
Default hopefully renting a 6 this weekend

If things go to plan!

Need a bigger car for a trip to Alton Towers so thought I'd go for it, drive one for 3 days and see how it really is.
What a palava! Brighton Avis regularly have one or two in the car park where they keep their cars so thought I'd ring direct. Once I figured out how to get through to Brighton I was told to book through head office as it would be cheaper. The guy told me that the car couldn't be gauranteed but they would do their best.
Rung head office and the indian woman named Rose didn't know what an MG6 was! Asked me if it was like a 3 series bmw Gave me the same price as the local office did and the internet, once she'd figures out which group it was in

So car finally booked, rung Brighton to confirm. They said there shouldn't be any problems securing the 6.

The problem is that if they can't secure it I will end up with a Peugeot 3008 and that is the ugliest car on the planet!

I will update after the weekend. Good thing is that recently I have a passat cc and a passat estate so at least I can compare to a supposedly good car.
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-08-2012, 21:36   #2
shroonie29
Audi S4 500HP

shroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond reputeshroonie29 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hopefully renting a 6 this weekend

I look forward to an honest review from an MG lover

hope it goes well Alan

I see a saloon every day & must admit I like the look of it
Old 13-08-2012, 22:09   #3
Dave V6
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute

saw my very first 6 yesterday....have to admit ive seen worse .
Yeah back in the late eighties there were these things knocking about called "FSO's"....they were worse...unless its just the length of time has warped my memories. !

Old 13-08-2012, 22:12   #4
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave V6 View Post
saw my very first 6 yesterday....have to admit ive seen worse .
Yeah back in the late eighties there were these things knocking about called "FSO's"....they were worse...unless its just the length of time has warped my memories. !
FSO were far better looking than the 3008 imho.
Old 13-08-2012, 22:59   #5
jasons

jasons has a spectacular aura aboutjasons has a spectacular aura about

even the new kia is better looking than the mg6, and i never thought i would hear myself say that!
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 23:46   #6
caled

caled is a jewel in the roughcaled is a jewel in the roughcaled is a jewel in the roughcaled is a jewel in the rough

The new Kia Optima is a good looking car, though - something to do with hiring the former Audi design chief, no doubt.

I've seen quite a few MG6s now, and the looks have grown on me. Was at the MGCC race day at Oulton Park last weekend, and got talking to a chap who uses a black MG6 GT to tow his car around. He picked it up for next to nothing and he rates it quite highly. And the GT does look good in black.
Old 14-08-2012, 08:08   #7
tcb180

tcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud of

Saw one at Summer Classics in Bristol on Saturday. Lady owner loves it. model was a black GT I believe. Some anorak was talking about Tiff Nedell racing one? I mentioned the touring car team and he ignored me. As I hate that I just walked off. t****r !
Old 14-08-2012, 12:31   #8
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute

Jason Plato and the other guy Neate are the 888 drivers in the BTCC, I don't know anything about Tiff Needel racing one.
Old 15-08-2012, 16:49   #9
tcb180

tcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud of

Neither did I ? I most probably had more knowledge than him and that's why he chose to ignore me. I hate that.
Old 15-08-2012, 16:53   #10
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you came up against a "expert", in his own mind.
Old 15-08-2012, 22:13   #11
Dave V6
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute

hah, i know a few of them,all talk and assume everybody is as stupid as them and can't see through the b.s.

Old 16-08-2012, 09:57   #12
tcb180

I just hate being ignored. I tried talking to my doctor about it once.

He shouted out, " NEXT " Ha! Ha!
Old 18-08-2012, 22:34   #13
aldon
Now in a 3

So much for the '6' rental.

I turned up at Avis Brighton for my car after spending a wonderful few hours visiting the bars on the beach (no alcohol).

To my dismay they gave me an Audi A4 tdi 136 with satnav, full leather and cruise.

Now this drove really well, plenty of mid range shove, quite high gears meant it felt more like a petrol once out of 1st. Build quality is awesome, not one creak or rattle anywhere. I've had 2 x brand new passats on hire both with less miles than the audi and they both had exactly same rattles on the dash.

Had a similar feel on the road as both my lowered ZS's did but not as sharp braking.

Would I have one, No!!!

The pedals are way too far offset to the right. To the point of being dangerous. I had to apply the brakes sharpish on the motor way whilst using cruise control and pressed the clutch with my right foot.

Everything that is good about this car is ruined by this one fact, oh and there is no left foot rest as such just a flat pad on the floor.

Now off to voice my complaints to Avis for giving me a car 2 groups above what I paid for.

And to top it off 2 days of rain at Alton Towers then Matlock Bath whilst back home there's a heat wave.

Last edited by aldon; 18-08-2012 at 22:56.
Old 22-08-2012, 14:02   #14
R8NMG
MKII MGZS180

R8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud of

This turned out to be a review of an Audi A4
R8NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 14:06   #15
witness
Registered nUber

witness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant future

Shame you didnt get the 6 Alan, would have been good to hear you thoughts and comparisons on it. I did test drive one last year, the TSE, was not impreessed but not dissapointed either. Good luck complaing about the 2 step upgrade on hire car lol.

I would certainly consider the high spec deisel model if it returned 50 or more MPG as a works car but for personal use I would want somthing with a bit more poke and sportier looks.

Shame to hear about your luck with the weather, though you should have expected the further north you come the worse it genarally gets.

http://www.23i.co.uk/
witness is offline   Reply With Quote