260s For Sale Thread - Page 2 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > ZT V8 / SV & SVR

Old 19-10-2006, 09:11   #36
Womble

Womble has a spectacular aura aboutWomble has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 260s For Sale Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMoNPauL
I was told from a good source from Reg Vardy PLC That there is still thousands of cars to come
There may well be thousands more cars to reach the market, but I'm pretty sure they will have to be registered now, rather than waiting and getting "new" '07' cars or later.
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-10-2006, 10:11   #37
Keith Alexander

Keith Alexander is on a distinguished road

The thing is how many of those are V8s and why is it on Autotrader only SMC seem to have several?

Am I looking in the wrong place for other large Franchise dealerships with stocks?

For example a google often brings up a car supermarket chain with a branch in North Wales but when you go to the actual site searching for a particular car gets a bit tedious as the site seems to be one of those fronts to many dealerships often with no direct link to the vehicle being offered

If as we believe only 880 ish were made (how many of those were RHD btw) do we know how many have actually been sold to date
Old 19-10-2006, 15:04   #38
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Alexander
The thing is how many of those are V8s and why is it on Autotrader only SMC seem to have several?

Am I looking in the wrong place for other large Franchise dealerships with stocks?

For example a google often brings up a car supermarket chain with a branch in North Wales but when you go to the actual site searching for a particular car gets a bit tedious as the site seems to be one of those fronts to many dealerships often with no direct link to the vehicle being offered

If as we believe only 880 ish were made (how many of those were RHD btw) do we know how many have actually been sold to date
Well, we know that there were at least 2 written off in the development process, and there are 104 members of the two-sixties. Two of them don't actually have a 260 (Rincewind and Andy Kitson, both honorary tech guru members), but at least 2 members have more than one car (a ZT260 and an R75 V8, in one case a Tourer). There's then probably about 5 known 260 owners on here who are not members of two-sixties, so that means at least 111 of the 883 accounted for. I can't imagine that this represents by any means the entire stock of "sold" cars though. There must be a lot more out there, surely?

I can't imagine there are more than 30 or 40 left "new" in dealer hands. It's one thing trickling them onto the market slowly to try and preserve prices, but less so when there's a looming registration deadline beyond which they can't be registered for emissions reasons.

Old 19-10-2006, 15:12   #39
ianhills

ianhills is on a distinguished road

Quite a few have prob been written off though!!
ianhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 15:22   #40
higgi23
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection

higgi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond reputehiggi23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Whilst at Souls of Olney recently,the salesman there told me he sourced a car for a customer from SMC through their chief buyer,so maybe they know something the rest don't
higgi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 16:23   #41
Keith Alexander

Thanks Chris I forgot about the probability of there may be several bent ones out there that may have gone to V8 heaven

Thinking about the Silver thread on .org did anyone order a Daytona yellow MK1 260? Nice safe colour especially in the fog

oops getting a bit off topic now sorry
Old 19-10-2006, 19:35   #42
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgi21
Whilst at Souls of Olney recently,the salesman there told me he sourced a car for a customer from SMC through their chief buyer,so maybe they know something the rest don't
Mark, the SMC chief buyer certainly knew enough about these cars to buy a ZT260 and a stunning Rover V8 Tourer for himself Talking to him, he's an obvious enthusiast, so given his position, it's not really surprising that SMC have a good number of these cars.

He's also yet another person on the long (well, 4 people at least) list of people I know to have driven a good few miles in Kermit before my purchase!
Old 22-10-2006, 12:15   #43
tapped

tapped is on a distinguished road

Guys,

has anyone noticed that low mileage ZTT (llooks like an SE but isn't listed as one) on Aut Trader in grimsby?

Its a facelift car but is on a 53 plate.

Seems cheap!
tapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 18:52   #44
PeteV8

PeteV8 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: 260s For Sale Thread

I think this must be one of those ones where the Mk1 has been updated to a Mk11 style front and rear, wheels etc. Its not got the TC, so cant be a Mk11. Its chasis number 25 (i think), so quite an early one! Reg date 7th October 2003.
PeteV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 20:28   #45
Keith Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteV8
I think this must be one of those ones where the Mk1 has been updated to a Mk11 style front and rear, wheels etc. Its not got the TC, so cant be a Mk11. Its chasis number 25 (i think), so quite an early one! Reg date 7th October 2003.
Ah that might explain it Pete, Alcantara seats as well
What else would be different from a mechanical or handling perspective?
Old 22-10-2006, 21:08   #46
PeteV8

Need the experts to tell you if there would be any other handling/technical differences! I think any other differences would be on the subtle side if atall.
Old 22-10-2006, 21:38   #47
Keith Alexander

It has the shiny dash as well and I bet Orange back-lit clocks

Or it has done a lot more miles but only 7,000 on nice new blue back-lit ones! now how would you check that out?

Anyone been to look at it is it in good nick?

Is it worth me going to look or would a MK1 to MK2 hybrid be a bad idea?
Old 22-10-2006, 22:01   #48
Womble

The dials should be white backlit, not orange Keith.. You're back in Roverland there I think!

As for the handling, there should be no difference at all. It should be a completely standard production car. The earlier Prodrive 4 point subframe had been replaced before my car came out, and that is number 19, so earlier than this one.

BTW, TC was only fitted as standard to the Mk2 SE spec. It was optional on the base models.

No reason why a Mk1 / Mk2 Hybrid should be a bad idea. Certainly gives it a bit more individuality. Also, given that Mk2 front bumpers are apparently the one really hard to source body panel, you could always retrofit the more attractive Mk1 bumper it should've had, and sell the Mk2 one on Ebay!
Old 22-10-2006, 22:23   #49
Keith Alexander

Oops yes white back lights, silly me
Old 24-10-2006, 14:26   #50
PeteV8

As far as I could see the Mk1 dials are white background, but when driving at night with headlights on - they are lit with a subtle orange backlight! Might be my eyesight though!
Old 24-10-2006, 21:26   #51
Womble

Quote:
As far as I could see the Mk1 dials are white background, but when driving at night with headlights on - they are lit with a subtle orange backlight! Might be my eyesight though!
Mine are definitely white! No orangeyness at all.
Old 24-10-2006, 22:53   #52
TimH
Its a V8 user thing...

Moon Lander Champion!
TimH is a glorious beacon of lightTimH is a glorious beacon of lightTimH is a glorious beacon of lightTimH is a glorious beacon of lightTimH is a glorious beacon of lightTimH is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: 260s For Sale Thread

Quote:
You sure you've not had the after effect of an eye test.

White as white can be.

www.Two-Sixties.com

TimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 09:25   #53
tapped

tapped is on a distinguished road

SMC are now advertising an XPG 05 plate non SE ZTV8 for 12995 on AutoTrader ( you can see the sticker price of 15995 on the photo).

Seems cheap for them?
tapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 10:29   #54
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped
SMC are now advertising an XPG 05 plate non SE ZTV8 for 12995 on AutoTrader ( you can see the sticker price of 15995 on the photo).

Seems cheap for them?
I assume it's not one of their "new" ones, so will have some miles on the clock?
Old 25-10-2006, 10:40   #55
Nocturnal

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble
I assume it's not one of their "new" ones, so will have some miles on the clock?
is it just an early SE to have those wheels? and 'only' half leather?

Did all Mk2 SE's come with the shadow coloured wheels? or was it just later SE's ? sugesting this is just an earlier car?

Nick
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 10:41   #56
PeteV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimH
You sure you've not had the after effect of an eye test.

White as white can be.

Apols - I`m sure your right. I think this is symptomatic of my owning a 260, albeit for far too short a time. BUT I will be back, as I loved it. And I`ll need to pay a bit more attention next time!!
Old 31-10-2006, 13:33   #57
Keith Alexander

Poor Dealers

With several places beginning to offer new or nearly new cars for under 15k I almost feel sorry for the dealers with secondhand stock, can they afford to sit on the vehicles and hope prices stabilise a bit next year?

Most when I talk to them are being quite honest about their cars and they know they have bought them in at comparatively too high a price apparently the car is not listed in Glasses guide!

The multicolour one in Grimsby is a good example the car is in no way going to sell to an ordinary punter off the streets yet Hartwell's bought it in for more than some good pedigree ones are currently being sold for now.

I have also just phoned up about the red saloon in South Wales, dealer is in the same boat.

Btw that is number 74 if anyone is interested the dealer said someone in Dubai is interested in it, I hope the Aircon is 100%
Old 31-10-2006, 14:46   #58
PeteV8

Quote:
Poor Dealers

The multicolour one in Grimsby is a good example the car is in no way going to sell to an ordinary punter off the streets yet Hartwell's bought it in for more than some good pedigree ones are currently being sold for now.
So, I presume either SMC sold the Chasis 25 car to Hartwells in Grimsby, or someone eventually bought it from SMC, and traded it in to Hartwells.

Either way it seems odd that a dealer like Hartwells wouldnt spot the issues with the car. Obviously this forum has maybe a bit more 'insight' and knowledge of the cars, but from we`ve heard about Chasis 25 it seems fairly obvious that all is not normal/perfect. You certainly wouldnt think they`d pay topwhack for it just a few months ago.... I suppose it is a low miler with the facelift appearance though (albeit on a 53 plate)
Old 02-11-2006, 14:01   #59
luvgriffs

luvgriffs is on a distinguished road

I very nearly bought this very car when it was for sale at smc back in june, I did have some concerns over the car and put a post on here regarding it, the advice I got back from some was don't touch it with a bargepole, whereas other's where of the opinion that at 13995 it was a bargain, I knew it was a mk1 with a mk2 front but was unaware of any other issues, would be keen to know of any other info regarding this particular car.
luvgriffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 14:40   #60
PeteV8

I`m sure you`ve seen your original post, updated with some more info on this car, courtesy of Keith Alexander. Seems relevant to have a link here though....

https://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=31451

I wonder if all the current faults/issues were apparent back in June, or if some have arisen since.

Did you get a 260 in the end?
Old 02-11-2006, 17:14   #61
luvgriffs

luvgriffs is on a distinguished road

oops Just realised that my original post has been resurected, Hi pete nope after much deliberation I opted for a 540 sport instead, doesn't sound as nice but feels quite a lot faster than the 260 I drove, hope to own a 260 at some time in the future though.
luvgriffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 15:29   #62
Keith Alexander

I drove a Trophy Blue non SE with extras, PDC Xenons Rain sensor etc yesterday 23,000 miles

It is in Dixons in Doncaster, car looked absolutely splendid I had not realised Trophy Blue is such a nice colour so much nicer that the three Black ones I have looked at

The Engine appearance was superb either a credit to Dixons or to the previous owner for making it look so shiny

I couldn't get them down to what I was prepared to pay, they came down to 12,500 but to be honest there Is a Trophy Blue one pre reg with 25 miles on the clock in Wales for 14,500 which might be 14,000 for cash which must be a more sensible purchase at that price.

The one in Donny had slight scuffing on the wheels and a little chunk missing from the front spoiler but otherwise was very nice, it had a clonk from the back end though changing down for roundabouts I have only noticed this before in others when going over speed bumps etc.

Anyway that's my fix for this week unless..............
Old 03-11-2006, 16:53   #63
V8 Martin

V8 Martin is on a distinguished road

Here's a preliminary post that my Mk1 '04 ZT260 SE Saloon will soon be up for sale. I am just sorting a number plate transfer first.

Mine from new, it is Raven Black (solid, not metallic) with Gunsmoke Leather/Alcantara interior, straights in perfect condition (no scuffs) with excellent (two brand new!) Conti's and the usual Mk1 SE spec. plus the high-level boot spoiler so SatNav, Harmon Kardon hifi, climate, sunroof etc all present plus the red clip & heater hose mods both done & a Nokia handsfree kit & a LHD cupholder fitted.

It has covered 13,500 miles approx., with full supplying dealer (SMC) service history and Diamondbrite paint treatment from new. It is in brilliant condition & the only non-standard part is an Accufab t/b.

I am going to ask 12,995 ono.

I wish I could keep it, but with a ZT-T260 now bought I am realising that I can't do justice to two. PM me if you want to talk .
V8 Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 00:24   #64
Keith Alexander

I would say keep it for six months and see if prices stabilise at the mo thats a forecourt price with warranty,

I had a long chat with the guys at Dixons yesterday for a 2004 non SE they now expect to buy in at 9250 max with a hope to clear 1000 to 1500 max on it at resale

Don't give it away to a dealer at a sub 10k trade in price though, plenty of people on these forum will no doubt match any trade in offer so good luck
Old 05-11-2006, 23:31   #65
V8 Martin

I do try to be reasonable when selling cars & attempt to pitch it right.

My thinking is that with a large percentage of the cars debated on this forum seeming to have a "story" or to not be in the best ever nick, that a 100% genuine, no stories, never damaged, enthusiast owned 13,000 miler might just be a better buy even without a (possibly hopeless) warranty

These are pretty simple cars and this one isn't even run in!

Time, as ever, will prove me right or wrong but I rather like having it still so we'll see what happens ....

Plus, of course, you may be right Keith about waiting. The classic & performance car press are just beginning to pick up on these cars and start spreading the word. They are never going up in value from here, but at this level represent a pretty damn safe place to put your cash I think .
Old 07-11-2006, 23:06   #66
V8 Martin

Looking on Autotrader today, the cheapest 260 within 100 miles of London is 13,500ono. '04 Mk2, more miles.

Given that late 190's are commonly asking 10k, how low should a 260 go? and where are all these 10-11k 260's changing hands .....

I reckon I'm about right for a VERY nice car, full spec and the classic Mk1 look
Old 08-11-2006, 01:12   #67
malkin61

malkin61 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Martin
Looking on Autotrader today, the cheapest 260 within 100 miles of London is 13,500ono. '04 Mk2, more miles.

Given that late 190's are commonly asking 10k, how low should a 260 go? and where are all these 10-11k 260's changing hands .....

I reckon I'm about right for a VERY nice car, full spec and the classic Mk1 look

In my humble opinion, the price for the 260s has to have bottomed out by now. I've not seen any movement for a few months so I reckon 13k has to be the lowest. This is based on nothing more than my incredibly intuitive intuition... .. As to the the excellent 190, I think this'll drop a bit more making it the real bargain - having owned both I think the V6 190 is the better all round and sorted car, but go back to one from my gorgeous 260.... nah

Cheers
Old 08-11-2006, 10:13   #68
Nocturnal

Quote:
In my humble opinion, the price for the 260s has to have bottomed out by now. I've not seen any movement for a few months
Hmm .... No Movement, and very few car sales to boot...
The same cars are sitting there unsold.. I have a vested interest in the prices dropping as I'm a potential buyer, but there really hasn't been any movement either in price or cars...

SMC are almost single handedly holding the price up as I see it, particularly in the London area. Thats not to say the cars arn't worth the amount they or you are asking, just an observation from someone who mised out on a cheap car, and hasn't seen anything remotely the same value since.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was ideally looking for a MK2 SE, and warranty aside I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for a car like yours, in that I'd rather have a car that was 'known' and low milage 'looked after' than one that had been sitting in a field, and then possably robbed of bits from time to time to get others going

But I feel the lack of sales would suggest there has to be another drop, and
the government may well induce another drop depending on what they come up with as yet another tax... but thats another story.... and if I can't afford a car like this now, I never will as things can only get worse in that department

any pics of your car Martin? inside and out??
mail is in my profile if theyre not online

Nick
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24   #69
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTBLUE
SMC are almost single handedly holding the price up as I see it,
I generally got the feeling that of the dealers advertising on Autotrader they tended to be the cheapest by some margin?

Maybe a part of the issue is that 26 out of the 37 cars currently on Autotrader are either black, silver or grey? When I went shopping, that would have immediately taken me down to a maximum of 11 cars to look at, and ruled out all the tourers, even had I been willing to compromise and get a Mk2.

I think there probably are a number of potential buyers sitting out there expecting these prices to drop, but I think there are an equal number of dealers sat there thinking that given the price they paid for them, they simply can't afford to drop the price any further?

The fact that only 2 of those 37 sales are by private sellers. Ok, I'm sure there are a number of people in a position of not being able to sell because they would still owe considerable sums on outstanding finance arrangements, but the fact that we now have more than 1 in 8 of all the V8s as members of the two-sixties would also suggest that there are a lot of owners out there who simply aren't interested in selling because they love their cars That's got to help keep the prices up!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:08   #70
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble
I generally got the feeling that of the dealers advertising on Autotrader they tended to be the cheapest by some margin?
errmm... thats kinda my point isn't it??

Not wanting to get into semantics (sp), but if they are 'the cheapest' and 'even' they arn't moving them on
That and the tourer, that was on the bay at iono 10.5/11k and apeared on smc's books for a substantial increase....
Now theres nothing wrong with that... I assume they will put cash into prep, and probably Warranty etc and you know youre buying from what apears to be 'the' Main dealer.
I'm not dissin' SMC here, it was just an observation...I guess we all see things differently

Nick