repairing inlet manifold kv6 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > General Technical Section - ask the Experts! > K-4 cylinder / K-6 cylinder / L-Series / BMW M47R / Ford V8

Old 16-07-2010, 21:13   #1
davidjames84

davidjames84 is on a distinguished road
Default repairing inlet manifold kv6

hi guys
i remeber seeing a thread about reparring or even removing the butterflies in the inlet manifold on the kv6 as my zs 180 needs a new one and was thinking of trying to repair it.
davidjames84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-07-2010, 22:00   #2
Christina
You give me road rage...

Christina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: repairing inlet manifold kv6

Can't recall anyone repairing an inlet manifold.
(@)(@)********(@)(@)**(@)

The rich don't care. The poor don't matter.
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:04   #3
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

sheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant future

Don't do anything too drastic. Replacement power valve operating arms will soon be available.

Old 16-07-2010, 22:25   #4
Christina
You give me road rage...

Christina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheddist View Post
Don't do anything too drastic. Replacement power valve operating arms will soon be available.
I remember you saying you were close to producing a replacement but couldn't find your post.lol
(@)(@)********(@)(@)**(@)

The rich don't care. The poor don't matter.
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 01:03   #5
Jay-ZS+

Jay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I currently have a rattling plenum in a cupboard awaiting the release of this
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:30   #6
davidjames84

shredist how long do you think this will be untill its ready? i have a leaking thermostat and i have to take the inlet manifold off to do it so i thought id do it in one lot.
also do you think there would be a big power increase?
Old 18-07-2010, 21:40   #7
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

sheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant future

First one is ready

The arm is plated steel with modified spherical ball joints. A plastic part connects the arm to the motor.

Each spherical joint has some adjustment in the arm and is secured with a nut clamping the arm between washers.

The whole assembly is designed not to fall apart. steel locknuts are used and split pins stop the nuts coming off the end of studs and to lock studs into the spherical coupling.
Old 18-07-2010, 21:50   #8
Jay-ZS+

Jay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to beholdJay-ZS+ is a splendid one to behold

Great stuff, Looks much more substantial! If only as much effort had gone into developing the plenum in the first place!!

Any idea when they will be available?
Old 18-07-2010, 21:51   #9
davidjames84

oh brilliant
looks much much better than the standard one!
when would i be able to get my hands on one and have you a rough price for them yet?
is it a exhance basis?
Old 18-07-2010, 22:02   #10
witness
Registered nUber

witness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant futurewitness has a brilliant future

You sir are a legend.

Have you had it running yet?

http://www.23i.co.uk/
witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 22:04   #11
roverdave

roverdave is on a distinguished road

i want one now / with reconditioned vis motors then i know ill have 100% issue free zs
plus if this is any where near as good as his clutch mod then its a must buy even if your inlet works fine
roverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 22:21   #12
KevG
Life is just a like a bowl of Cherries!

KevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of light

All very well, but how are you going to seal the plenum, since this is the real issue other than the butterfly mechanism?
Old 18-07-2010, 22:49   #13
roverdave

roverdave is on a distinguished road

prob something like tiger seal cant be that 5h1t
roverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 23:00   #14
KevG

KevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of lightKevG is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverdave View Post
prob something like tiger seal cant be that 5h1t
Tigerseal or sikaflex wont work!
Old 18-07-2010, 23:10   #15
Daytona365

Daytona365 is on a distinguished road

Looks like what my Z needs, how do I get my hands on one?
Daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 00:57   #16
dave mgt

dave mgt is a splendid one to beholddave mgt is a splendid one to beholddave mgt is a splendid one to beholddave mgt is a splendid one to beholddave mgt is a splendid one to beholddave mgt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
Tigerseal or sikaflex wont work!
plastic weld would
89 MG Maestro Turbo diamond white
dave mgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:31   #17
KevG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave mgt View Post
plastic weld would
Ultrasonic plastic welding would too.
Old 19-07-2010, 12:47   #18
ZS
Double Agent

ZS will become famous soon enoughZS will become famous soon enough

Sheddist...

How much and when can I get them? I assume if your building them you require the old units in exchange?

Either way I need two! I have one 180 that the mani has completely gone in and other on its way out!
Old 19-07-2010, 13:11   #19
smilerbaker

smilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud ofsmilerbaker has much to be proud of

a major issue is opening the manifold in the first place!!

Wouldn't that be too heavy for the vis? the original arm weights nothing at all, and with no support on the far end from the vis I'd have thought you would start to get issues?
Carbon Catch Tank
Sheddist Clutch Kit
Ring Sticker
Janspeed Duplex Exhaust
smilerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 21:42   #20
zs willy

zs willy will become famous soon enoughzs willy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thats great news Sheddist,could we have a price and availability when your ready to start supplying, as i think many of us need this fantastic upgrade ! well done keep up the good work. PS i also need a clutch kit as well..
zs willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 22:50   #21
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

Thanks for the interest in this.
At the moment, replacement arms are on offer at £67. I know this is not "cheap", but a lot of work goes into each one and the parts are not cheap. But it is around 10% of the price of a new plenum.

With respect to exchange plenums. This is something I do not have the time for, also this carries some risk as what if on splitting, the cover moulding is broken or it will not seal etc. If I cannot fix it or there is a delay, then you car cannot be driven. Not a responsibility I am prepared to take. Perhaps someone on here has the inclination and time to take this on.

So, what is proposed is this:
Order an arm. This will be assembled and a shipping date given - Car is OK to drive with a rattly plenum.

As with clutch kits, you will be notified when an arm is available and payment will be requested. Not before.

Hopefully you will be able to split the plenum, replace the arm and seal it up again- Perhaps plenum splitting and resealing techniques will form a good thread on here.

If you are unsuccessful in splitting and resealing your plenum then you can return the arm for a £47 refund.
Old 26-07-2010, 12:39   #22
Analog

Analog is on a distinguished road

I am defiantly interested. Do you have a recommended method of spitting the cover moulding? Thanks.
Analog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 18:23   #23
Jay-ZS+

Any update on the avalibility of these sheddist?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:05   #24
bandit123

bandit123 is on a distinguished road

So could this fix the noisy rattling my car has lol (visís are ok)
The only problem is I donít have the mechanical experience to split fix and seal it back up sheddist is this something you could do as I would probably try re seal it with some good old spit lol. or could you sell a manifold with this mod already done?
I desperately need this rattling fixing I am being called the local yella tractor at the moment I am loosing my street cred every gear change lol
bandit123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 22:43   #25
Mgzsteve

Mgzsteve is on a distinguished road

will definately be wanting one of these when available...any updates??
Mgzsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:14   #26
tcb180

tcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud of

WE ARE NOT WORTHY ! A GENIUS ! Bandit123 Mr Sheddist has answered all of your questions in his last post.
Old 12-08-2010, 18:33   #27
kindofblue
Lighten up dude

kindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud of
MG Re: repairing inlet manifold kv6

Ditto

I have Sheddist's clutch kit - 3 years + now and not a single issue. I too would like this mod and I think £67 is very reasonable for the clear effort that has gone in + we should all support this type of effort anyway - its in every KV6 owners interest. Grand work Nigel.

Count me in please - it would just be real nice if we could organise a garage/mechanic willing to do the fit. Many of us (me included) do not have the time and/or skill to complete this so we need the fitting option as well to really make this mod run. Also a good cross sell for the fitter would be a VIS check and repair at the same time. Seems logical to me and everyone will need it at some stage.

If something gets organised please give me a PM - cash waiting.

Paul
225 / 40 / 17 - 7.5J AVON ZZ3's
EBC Green Pads
'Sheddist' Clutch
'Masher' Oil Catch Tank
Stebel Twin Air Horn
SCU Relay Upgrade
kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 08:12   #28
tcb180

tcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud oftcb180 has much to be proud of

The holes evident in the casing. Tell me, are these where the two halves are screwed together or is it not so simple as that?
Old 27-09-2010, 16:17   #29
Gazmo65

Gazmo65 has a spectacular aura aboutGazmo65 has a spectacular aura aboutGazmo65 has a spectacular aura about

Read this with great interest as my manifold is now rattling and cant afford a replacement and dont mind getting my hands dirty so would be interested when they are ready well done
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 16:36   #30
nath86

nath86 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone done this replacement yet? looking into this as i for sure will have one in the near future.
nath86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 14:47   #31
Jay-ZS+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath86 View Post
Has anyone done this replacement yet? looking into this as i for sure will have one in the near future.
Not as far as im aware, I have a spare plenum awaiting release of parts!! Least then if I screw it up for any reason the car is still mobile, as mine is rattling
Old 13-10-2010, 15:38   #32
tcb180

Its a pity that you technical guys havn't come up with a way to split and glue the plenum yet.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:41   #33
caled

caled is a jewel in the roughcaled is a jewel in the roughcaled is a jewel in the roughcaled is a jewel in the rough

What's the issue with splitting the plenum? Is it just to ensure that you don't break either part?
As for resealing, what type of plastic is it?
Old 13-10-2010, 19:24   #34
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road

From what i have read its like splitting a atom lol and if you break the cover your rooted. As for the plastic cant help there
lawrence-zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 08:49   #35
John Daniels

John Daniels is on a distinguished road

I suspect that the plastic is ABS so should work with plastic weld or similar.

I'm very interested in one of these kits. I took the plunge and bought a new manifold (£440) in mid 2009 (build date 2008) and had it fitted along with replacing the leaking thermostat and a new water pump just over a year ago. Fitted a set of VIS indicators and an oil catch tank and was happy with the result.

I will pull the old manifold apart as soon as I get a chance and see what the damage is. It had done about 45000 miles. If I get it apart successfully I'll be on the waiting list for a new actuator kit.

I did get the old balance VIS motor apart and fixed a burnt out PCB track and secured the microswitches (use nylon screws/nuts to avoid any shorting problems), but haven't yet got the butterfly VIS motor apart (contacts well and truly stuck to the casing). At least I have one spare if I need it.

Unfortunately since then the manifold has started to rattle, and lately the VIS indicators have been giving very strange indications. Both LEDs are green at start-up, but after giving it a bit of welly both change to red as expected but on lifting off the balance valve remains on red and green lights up as well (how is that possible?) and the butterfly valve green LED flicks on then off again. On steady driving after that I have balance valve red and green and butterfly valve nothing at all. It may revert to a different pattern if I give it welly and lift off again, but generally it's as described.

Weird, and expensively annoying.

John Daniels

2003 ZS180 Saloon, EBC Brakes all round
John Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote