ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade" - Page 7 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > General Technical Section - ask the Experts! > Tyres / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension / Gearbox

Old 26-07-2007, 22:32   #211
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

blue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Another happy customer to add to the list Nigel!

14.4 @ 102mph - nailing good 60ft's is a cow

Chrono Yellow FL LCR - turbo power is just so addictive!!!
blue harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-07-2007, 14:46   #212
Robmgti

Robmgti will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Finally got round to fitting mine yesterday! After a few problems with Master Cylinder travel that Nigel advised me about its all sorted now. So So much better than the original - i still havent taken it for a full blast but pottering up and down the road it feels alot better.

Bleeding does take a while but you just need to persevere. Definatley worth it!

Rob
Robmgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 17:56   #213
blue harbour
I miss you Dad!!!!!!

blue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond reputeblue harbour has a reputation beyond repute

I've still got to fit my new clevis pin assy!

Tbh it can wait until the car has been into the bodyshop- to see whether i have the enthusiasm to do any more with this car!

I'm just hoping that the new clevis pin kit- will give me just that bit more travel- enough to make it so 3rd doesn't baulk when trying to grab it reasonably quickly!

To anyone who hasn't invested in this kit yet though- get one bought- it's MUCH better than the o.e stuff!

14.4 @ 102mph - nailing good 60ft's is a cow

Chrono Yellow FL LCR - turbo power is just so addictive!!!
blue harbour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2007, 18:20   #214
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

sheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant future

Rob,
Glad it is sorted. A longer clevis is on its way to you anyway.

Fitted a new clevis to mine on Friday. Pedal is about the same height but the extra adjustment allowed very fine tuning. Now the non return valve is only just cracked open when the pedal is at rest. Bite point is higher and box feels more slick:

Move pedal stop out of the way of the pedal
Remove old clevis
Screw new clevis onto master cylinder - most of the way. Don't tighten lock nut yet.
Put clevis pin in place but don't put the clip across
Return pedal stop
Check that slave can be pushed in a little
By turning the master cylinder push rod, unscrew clevis until slave is blocked when the pedal is at rest.
Screw push rod in until slave can be pushed in again - only a small amount at a time. This will need a few attmepts to get right.
Tighthen lock nut and clip clevis pin in place.

You now have the equivalent of a "competition" master cylinder.

Anyone who wants a longer clevis, please PM and it will be sent FOC.
Old 29-07-2007, 19:12   #215
dal8oy

dal8oy is on a distinguished road

I am really interested in getting some money together to get this system. Ive had my ZS for 4 years and the only problems ive had have been with the clutch. The slave blew apart last week so i bought a new one and fitted it but its still very "soggy" with a biting point virtally on the floor. And the Slave bracket looks like it will snap every time i look at it!!!

Seriously though how easy is it to fit one of these.....i dont want to get half way through and then find ive got a car i cant drive!!!

Cheers
dal8oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 20:14   #216
Robmgti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheddist View Post
Rob,
Glad it is sorted. A longer clevis is on its way to you anyway.

Fitted a new clevis to mine on Friday. Pedal is about the same height but the extra adjustment allowed very fine tuning. Now the non return valve is only just cracked open when the pedal is at rest. Bite point is higher and box feels more slick:

Move pedal stop out of the way of the pedal
Remove old clevis
Screw new clevis onto master cylinder - most of the way. Don't tighten lock nut yet.
Put clevis pin in place but don't put the clip across
Return pedal stop
Check that slave can be pushed in a little
By turning the master cylinder push rod, unscrew clevis until slave is blocked when the pedal is at rest.
Screw push rod in until slave can be pushed in again - only a small amount at a time. This will need a few attmepts to get right.
Tighthen lock nut and clip clevis pin in place.

You now have the equivalent of a "competition" master cylinder.

Anyone who wants a longer clevis, please PM and it will be sent FOC.
Cheers Nigel, i will fit the longer clevis when i get the chance and fine tune. Im on the 2nd thread at the moment, i wasnt brave enough to use only the last thread!

Rob
Old 29-07-2007, 22:30   #217
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

sheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant futuresheddist has a brilliant future

dal8oy,
Welcome to the forum.
Kit is fairly easy to fit provided you take your time. Just basic spannering. Instructions are supplied with the kit together with the tricks and tips learned.
Old 30-07-2007, 14:18   #218
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute

Another satisfied customer here, the kit arrived this morning, a high quality upgrade imo.

Nigel, could you send me the instructions, they aren't in the box, it looks a straightforward job but would be useful to have any hints and tips regarding set up.

Thanks again Nigel.
peteT16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 15:03   #219
Robmgti

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteT16 View Post
Another satisfied customer here, the kit arrived this morning, a high quality upgrade imo.

Nigel, could you send me the instructions, they aren't in the box, it looks a straightforward job but would be useful to have any hints and tips regarding set up.

Thanks again Nigel.
Should be on a CD in the box!
Old 30-07-2007, 15:10   #220
peteT16

peteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond reputepeteT16 has a reputation beyond repute
MG Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmgti View Post
Should be on a CD in the box!
Just checked it again, to make sure I didn't miss a CD in my excitement when it arrived, sadly not.
Old 30-07-2007, 20:48   #221
sheddist
A boffin and proud of it

OOPs!

Will send ASAP
Old 04-08-2007, 02:27   #222
wezzer74

wezzer74 is on a distinguished road

Hi just joined the forum. is the quoted kit still available? if it is how much is it?
thanks
wezzer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:00   #223
aldon
Now in a 3

aldon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond reputealdon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzer74 View Post
Hi just joined the forum. is the quoted kit still available? if it is how much is it?
thanks
pm sheddist, he makes the kits and will give you all the details regarding payment etc
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 14:46   #224
Rapid Yellow
No longer a Rover / MG owner.

Rapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to all

This kit is defo well worth having, mine's been fitted since April and it's sooo much better than standard.

No worries about trickling along in traffic jams etc now, and no soggy feelings to my pedal either - ever!!!

I'm happy with my original clevis setting, it just means when I drive other people's cars their clutches seem really light and high biting................
modded Rover 200vi (1.8 VVC ) - sold to be broken up for parts
Rapid Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 18:37   #225
billbo
Economy motoring

billbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud ofbillbo has much to be proud of

ANOTHER happy customer. I can now change down into second 1st time without having to stir the gear stick.

X-Type 2.2D Sport Premium....More torque than a Porsche 911 GT3
billbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:02   #226
Robmgti

Well finally got round to fitting the longer Clevis today (Car goes up for Sale tomorrow so thought i better sort it) - Its even better now! Amazing, followed your guide Nigel on how to perfect the 'Competition' feel and i have to say gear changes are more precise than ever with minimal clutch effort.

I found the perfect settings for me were: Screw longer Clevis fully onto Master rod and then unscrew exactly 2 full rotations - tighten Clevis lock nut and then away you go! to get the pedal resting exactly as i wanted i added an extra waher onto the pedal stop so may be an idea to add an extra one to the kit Nigel (just a thought im sure its ok for most!).

Anyway just wanted to say again how exellent this kit is.

Rob
Old 13-09-2007, 17:18   #227
dan 180

dan 180 is on a distinguished road

Just started to fit the new bits yesterday, should get it done tonight cant wait it has been off the road for a week. Been using my mums 1.6 rover 400 no fun at all
dan 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 19:13   #228
Davies180

Davies180 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Would any one know were i would be able to get one of the clutch upgrades??
I'm desperate my MG is driving me nut's Iím not enjoying the drive when really i should be loving it!! The gear change is perfect when the car is cold but when the car is warm itís a pain itís not nice to drive the gears crunch in to second and third these are the worse oneís!! Please help!!

Thanks

John
Davies180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 20:33   #229
peteT16

pm Sheddist, he makes the kits up, everything you will need is in the kit, and it's well worth fitting.
Old 05-10-2007, 22:30   #230
Davies180

Iv'e just had a reply of sheddist unfortunatlly he's not got the parts available just yet.Any one got any ideas??
Old 05-10-2007, 23:03   #231
Rapid Yellow
No longer a Rover / MG owner.

Rapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to all

You could waste your money on a new standard set up or wait until NIgel (Sheddist) has the parts for his kit.

His kit is far better than the standard set up. And it's bleedable too.
modded Rover 200vi (1.8 VVC ) - sold to be broken up for parts
Rapid Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:31   #232
Davies180

Smile Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

If this clutch hydraulic upgradrade is as good as it sounds from all the feedback i'll wait untill it's available again hope it wont be too long!!

Cheers for your comments

John
Old 06-10-2007, 11:39   #233
ZS180sx

ZS180sx has a spectacular aura aboutZS180sx has a spectacular aura about

I'm on the waiting list for a kit.
My Mk1 has one fitted and the difference between my car and the Mrs car is night and day.
I'd go as far to say its the single most important mod you should do to a ZS.
Kev
Old 06-10-2007, 15:57   #234
Davies180

That sound good it's now just a waiting game!

It's makes it a different car i bet!?
Old 14-10-2007, 14:45   #235
K3 GNR (ZS180)

K3 GNR (ZS180) is on a distinguished road

Over the past two weeks, I have been experiencing issues with my clutch where intermittently (about 8 times in total) I could not get the out of gear without pressing the clutch again. Yesterday; I had the ITG induction kit fitted & the mechanic was asked to locate (& hopefully resolve) the clutch issue. However the clutch worked perfectly so they could not identify the problem. Today, I was driving around the Telford Town Centre one way system & my clutch failed. The AA towed me home & the mechanic confirmed that the problem is the cluch hydraulics. So; since my MG has now done 50k miles & has already had the Master - Slave systems replaced at 30k, I would prefer to fit a higher quality system. The Sheddists upgrade seems ideal. Is this available yet or how quickly could I obtain one.
K3 GNR (ZS180) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 15:58   #236
Sie214
He Urinates 98 RON Petrol!!!!

Sie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to behold

Ideal to PM him to see if he has any available. Well worth the upgrade.

Where abouts in Telford you from?? i live in Wellington, you have a Mk1??

Sie

Fettled '05 VW Golf GTI
Sie214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 09:10   #237
K3 GNR (ZS180)

Have emailed Sheddist & have arranged to purchase - collect hydraulics upgrade; I will post results.
Sie; I live in Stirchley & own a mk1 (originally a 51 plate) Anthracite Grey (almost black) ZS180 hatch & my wife has a modded Blue MGF vvt.
Old 15-10-2007, 18:04   #238
Sie214
He Urinates 98 RON Petrol!!!!

Sie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to beholdSie214 is a splendid one to behold

Nice one, will have to keep an eye out, i have a Semi Loud Trophy Blue Saloon with either chrome lipped 18s or Black 16s, got R45 headlamps too.

And Clutch kit is without a doubt a great Upgrade.

Sie

Fettled '05 VW Golf GTI
Sie214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 20:21   #239
Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to behold

I've had my name down for one of these kits for a little while now. Good old 'Shed' should be getting some more kits soon fingers crossed.

For those with the kit fitted, is the biting point low enough to actually allow for snappier gear changes over standard? I'm pretty sure I was able to change gear at twice the speed in my previous car
Steve Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 17:32   #240
K3 GNR (ZS180)

Smile Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Drove over to Selly Oak on Wednesday, bought Sheddists clutch kit & had it fitted on Thursday.
This is a very impressive upgrade & is highly recommended. The garage fitted it in less than two hours & my 180 clutch now feels so much better.
Overall rating; 12 out of 10.
Kevin Genner
Old 19-10-2007, 23:05   #241
Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to beholdSteve Taylor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3 GNR (ZS180) View Post
Drove over to Selly Oak on Wednesday, bought Sheddists clutch kit & had it fitted on Thursday.
This is a very impressive upgrade & is highly recommended. The garage fitted it in less than two hours & my 180 clutch now feels so much better.
Overall rating; 12 out of 10.
Kevin Genner
Glad you got the clutch sorted mate! How do you find the general feel of the clutch (e.g. bite point, gear change) compared to OE?
Steve Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 11:44   #242
K3 GNR (ZS180)

Wink Re: ZS clutch hydraulic system "Upgrade"

Everything feels much better; slicker, lighter & more precise. But in my ZS180, the clutch pedal is still higher than the brake & throttle.
However; I had the kit fitted at a local garage so they may not have fully adjusted it. Even so, this is definately worthwhile & is highly recommended (if only for peace of mind because the original system will definately fail).
Additionally; the instructions are very good (provided on CD with colour photos etc) & Nigel certainly "knows his stuff".
Perhaps the acid test is; "if I bought another ZS180, would I fit the Sheddist system again?"
The answer is "yes".
Old 25-10-2007, 19:30   #243
MG ZeuS

MG ZeuS is on a distinguished road

Nigel,

Kit came today, thanks box was abit worse for wear but everything was ok inside. will try and fit it this weekend....let you know how I get on
MG ZeuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:06   #244
myddleman

myddleman is on a distinguished road

hi fitted clutch upgrade yesterday i did not seem to have any problems bleeding
the air out . 5 mins all done i think i was very lucky!!!!!
wow gear changing is a lot smoother now.
that man who lives in a shed is absolute genius
many thanks sheddist.
myddleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 18:31   #245
Steve Taylor

I also fitted the kit and must say that I had a couple of problems with the bleeding and also working out how to remove the pin from the long clevis (it was getting dark and I was getting tired )

Made a couple of phonecalls to Nigel and he was able to give me some a few pointers - Thanks a lot mate.

Clutch pedal is now the same height as the brake pedal, bite point (by chance) seems to be ideal with no resetting of the clevis required (aside from tightening the locknut).

The clutch feel is completely transformed with reduced pedal travel, little if no freeplay at the top of the travel (I guess that's a good thing?), and a good firm and consistent feel to the pedal.

Gear changes are more effortless. I may even be able to improve the feel with some fine tuning - I did check that the slave arm could be depressed with the pedal at rest and had no problems, so as long as it's acceptable to have no pedal freeplay at the top of the travel then I'll leave the setting as it is!

Thanks again Nigel!