Fuel system failure (petrol) - Page 4 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG ZT

Old 06-02-2008, 21:11   #106
woody ztt

woody ztt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel system failure (petrol)

thanks for the info helped me solve a problem i had no idea about, and saved me 's coz i was at the end of my rope and about to go to the local dealer at the end of a day pulling out my hair
thanks again you are a top man
woody ztt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-04-2008, 14:04   #107
W0BBLYW!LLY

W0BBLYW!LLY is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Fuel system failure (petrol)

Hello and good evening, I had a fuel problem with my Rover 75 Touring 2.5V6
Pulled off the drive one day (two years ago) and the engine cut out. Friends n neighbours gathered round (lol) to help n embarrass me n we all ended up pushing the car back on my drive. Green Flag came out fiddled around for 40 minutes then gave up saying I'll tow you to the garage of your choice. The garage was just down the road nice n local, so car towed away outa my hands n still under warranty. Garage called next day n said my cars been moved to blah blah for further tests! A week later it was done I had to pay cash up front 512 of my holiday money!! for a 'new fuel pump'.The garage then went on to have the cheque from the warranty people sent to them too!! cha-ching 1024!!! When I didn't recieve my cheque n found out it was sent to the garage I rung em up, 'sorry sir it isn't here try the head office' is what I got. Head office 'not here sir try the other garage it was sent to for testing' after going round n round like an idiot I called the warranty company they checked n the cheque had been sent to the 1st garage but not cashed. I called them again just to get the same reply. So I called warranty company again told em to cancel the cheque n send a new one to my home address this they did and all was well till the garage called n asked 'why did I do that? don't I trust em?' 'kin rip off lousey faggots!!
Now it just shows that a broken car is only half the problem, swizzling garages are the other half.
Any way my car broke again Sun 20th April 08, just off to work n it wouldn't start called RAC 30 mins later they said about 40 mins so I got a lift to work. RAC man called me at work can't fix it, I mentioned to him about the problems before so he put on the sheet possible fuel pump. He told me to ring in the morning to arrange a tow to a garage! **** that I thought, meanwhile my bro looked on the net n saw the orange clip saga n told me about it checked it out when I got home n started work, chopping up the wifes broom n scratting about for 'bits of metal' lol.
Mon morning 9:05am removed back seat used a wooden dowl n rubber mallet to strike retaining ring after removing the pipe n prized pump out. nipped indoors looking for Xpart dealers found one Luffield cars Loughborough reserved orange clip n tank/filter seal 8.24 went back to car tightened up filter assembley started 1st time!!! brillo set off to Loughborough @ 10:05am! Job done although upon trying to fit the parts the pressure is back n petrol p*sses outa the pipe even after bleedin some off through the throttle valve. So I'm gunna put my tools n brooms etc in the car for when/if it fails agian n go for some lunch! Many thanks to ZTT-MAN
W0BBLYW!LLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 19:30   #108
ZTTMAN

ZTTMAN is on a distinguished road

You're welcome. Surely there can't be many more out there that have yet to fail? Or can there...

Mine is still held together with the initial "self tapper" trick, and the orange clip is still in the drawer waiting to be fitted. I must do it now there is sun and warmth!
ZTTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 17:09   #109
mikejnunn

mikejnunn is on a distinguished road

Thanks ,
Mine went this morning, printed off the first page and pictures for my local garage, who checked the usual things first then took the pump out of the tank and 'fixed' it. Phoned me up to say yep was exactly as the print out. (70 labour)

ZT180+, 34865 miles Trophy Blue

Mike, Mersea
mikejnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 22:08   #110
child lucifer

child lucifer is on a distinguished road

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Wifes ZT went on Monday.....not starting!!!! Checked all the usual air, sparks fuel....hmmmm no fuel. Scratched head for a while and then checked this forum......twas the dreaded fuel filter coming apart!! took a couple of assembly attempts to get the two halves to sit together (I think the large O ring was not correctly seated the first time) But then sparked into life immediately. Did not have the clip mod yet but will be doing it as soon as i can get one.........incidently does anyone have a picture of a clip fitted??

Another happy customer who has saved being robbed by the garages!!

Thank again.
child lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 12:03   #111
toolmantim

toolmantim is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Fuel system failure (petrol)

Thanks ZTTMan another fixed. Was repaired by the local dealer in the first 12 months, but they did not put the clip or self tappers in, but in now.
Tim
toolmantim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 23:51   #112
frenchfries111

frenchfries111 is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchfries111 is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchfries111 is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchfries111 is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchfries111 is a glorious beacon of light

Great post and pics ZTTMAN
frenchfries111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 11:23   #113
Marcus

Marcus is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I have posted the same quesiton on the two-sixties, but suspect there may be a wider audience here due to it being a non-V8 specific problem.

After suffering several misfires, and having spoken with Brian at Dreadnought, I ordered an orange clip and and new filter. I was expecting there to be a clip or self tapper already on as the module failed a few years ago and the MG dealer charged a small fortune to fix it. I was disappointed to note that they had simply screwed it back together with no fixing!

Anyway, I have replaced the filter element and fitted the clip but am waiting for the battery to charge before I can test it.

One question though. I am not sure I have managed to loose a pipe off of the assembly. The assembly appears to have two elbows for pipes to attach in the tank located at the 3 O'clock position (12 O'clock being the outlet pipe on the top of the assembly) i.e. the right hand side of the assembly if your sat on top of it looking forward. Only one of these elbows has a pipe connected. Have I managed to dislodge a pipe, or is it normal to only have one pipe connected at that position?

Thanks in advance.

Marcus
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52   #114
jeffery rover 75

jeffery rover 75 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I have a similar fuel problem in my Rover 75 when it died and needed a tow truck last week, I have had replaced the "dead" petrol pump on the RH side of the fuel tank, and now need to change the fuel filter, to ensure the pump is not overloaded, the 75 having traveled just over 200 000klm.
The unit is mounted in the tank on the LH side, and is apparently only supplied as a complete module both here in Australia and in England. The replacement system I believe has a canister that takes a paper element. But I prefer to purchase just the filter not he unit at approximately 5 times the cost
I have removed the filter assembly and I have a steel cased fuel filter inside a plastic housing/assembly unit.
Can any one advise me where I can purchase a new steel replacement filter ONLY part number VDO 10 007005 The filter unit is 3" diam and 4" long with a central inlet in the top 0.7"diam and 2 holes in the bottom (size unknown)
The unit may be plastic if not available in steel.
reply's direct to my email of [email protected] will be appreciated
jeffery rover 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 10:40   #115
thepathologist

thepathologist is on a distinguished road

Hi all

Typical, just off to work yesterday morning, no start. Had a play later when I got home from work, still no joy. Could hear petrol pump in background but it did not cut out after a while. Dismantled air filter, shot some carburettor cleaner into inlet and whoa, nearly tries to fire. To cut a long story short, found these articles on the forum, did the job this morning and after a few cranks she started.
A possible easy check before stripping out too much, check to see if there is fuel at the shrader valve by the throttle linkage first.

Cheers all
thepathologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 16:42   #116
ZTTMAN

ZTTMAN is on a distinguished road

I don't get to visit this site so often these days as I moved on from my ZTT a couple of years back. I'm glad to see the original post is still helping people. Taking the point about the shrader valve in the previous post, it really doesn't help when checking, as what you need is pressure, not just flow. If you can check with a pressure guage then that is OK, but not just checking if fuel comes out. What happens is that the engine management prevents starting until the pressure sensor detects full line pressure, so you can get enough filter leakage to cause that situation, but still have good flow.
ZTTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:26   #117
gbuttle1965

gbuttle1965 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say a big thanks for the post on fuel failure.
long story short - - checked fuses etc - searched on google - found your post - registered here - printed your post - clicked filter housing back in place - just managed enough strength to screw back on retaining ring, bleeding knuckles etc - fired her up and off i went. - not bad for a caravan salesman with 2 screwdrivers and a halfords bike socket set!!!

Thanks again mate - saved me 's in the garage
gbuttle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:21   #118
Tom 190
MG ZT 190

Tom 190 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Fuel system failure (petrol)

Thank you ZTT-man and all who have contributed since to thread. The advice contained is an invaluable source of knowledge and wealth of experience.
Tom 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 10:23   #119
jamie1983

jamie1983 is on a distinguished road

Hi I know your thread is old. But I'll praise the ground you work on. I'm new to MG's I have a ZT 1.8T 2003 . I've had her a year now and spent a small fortune on it, but I love it. Yesterday she stopped running, tried everything then i saw your thread and it worked. Thank you, and what a brill write up.
jamie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 16:25   #120
Rob Cavell
Man o' Kent

Rob Cavell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1983 View Post
..................I'm new to MG's I have a ZT 1.8T 2003 . I've had her a year now and spent a small fortune on it, but I love it..............
And you won't be sorry jamie, I've still got my 04 ZTT bought from new and it looks like I'll still have it in another 7 years!
Old 16-04-2012, 22:44   #121
brindle

brindle is on a distinguished road

ZTT Man, my ZT is showing exactly the same symptoms as you described. I came out to my car sat on the drive and guess what it wont start. Tried to fire and then just died. This happened a couple of times and now it wont fire at all and the fuel is very low.

My question is, if the filter ring has worked loose and this appears to be the reason the cars don't start, can you not just tighten the filter ring up again? Why do you have to take everything out to then replace? am I missing something here, is the bit that works loose actualy in the tank? please advise as I am going to tackle my problem tomorrow. Regards. Brindle.
brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 15:12   #122
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Jerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud of
MG Re: Fuel system failure (petrol)

This issue grounded my ZT260 years ago. Priority one to see that any future purchase has had this done. So embarrassing when it happened miles from home.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 18:07   #123
Rob Cavell
Man o' Kent

Rob Cavell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brindle View Post
ZTT Man, my ZT is showing exactly the same symptoms as you described. I came out to my car sat on the drive and guess what it wont start. Tried to fire and then just died. This happened a couple of times and now it wont fire at all and the fuel is very low.

My question is, if the filter ring has worked loose and this appears to be the reason the cars don't start, can you not just tighten the filter ring up again? Why do you have to take everything out to then replace? am I missing something here, is the bit that works loose actualy in the tank? please advise as I am going to tackle my problem tomorrow. Regards. Brindle.
It's some time since I had a problem with mine and I didn't fix it myself but I understand the problem is low pressure pump failure not simply it coming loose but obviously check there are no leaks preventing fuel being delivered to the high pressure pump.
Symptoms on mine was the engine stopping, faltering or not starting when the tank reached about 1/4 full.
Old 04-02-2014, 13:22   #124
RHW

RHW is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I've got a 53 MG ZT 190, 71,000 miles and the fuel pump issues, as previously described, brought my car to a halt. I bought the Orange clip from Rimmers and with the use of the photos on this thread and the advice got the job done. The hardest part was refitting the metal O ring that locks the fuel relay in place. That said, a relatively easy job, small hands are useful! Thanks again and if you're reading this for the first time, buy the clip!
RHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 20:59   #125
paulbusten57

paulbusten57 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Fuel system failure (petrol)

My brother inlaws ztt broke down a few weeks ago,rac man called out found there was no fuel delievery carried out various checks an decided pump not working,used number mechanics tool an hey presto the engine fired up.fast forward to last week an same again car refused to start,brother inlaw decided to repace pump an ordered a secondhand one witch he duly fitted,an you gussed it car still not starting.at this point i got involved an sure enough still no fuel delievery,rechecked pump appeared ok tryed to look at filter unit but
did not want to come out ,so decided to see if engine would fire on externally introduced fuel,so pourrd a tiny amount into throttle housing an engine tryed to fire,by this it was getting dark an battery was getting
low so we called it a day.came home an checked the forums an found tje thread on the fel filtrr coming apart.today went aroud again managed to pull the filtrr housing further out an then i could see the gap in the two halves,did the nessasary an woopee the engine burst into lfe,so an huge thank you from me an also from the brother inlaw,Great thread well done
paulbusten57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:33   #126
johnredgrave
JRM Motor Engineers

johnredgrave is on a distinguished road

Re original post by ZZTMAN
this is excellent advice, spent couple of hours chasing this fault on a MG ZT 1800
After reading this post, up and running ok after 20 min,s
Just awaiting securing clip modification to finish job
Many thanks
John
JRM Motor Engineers
johnredgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 08:45   #127
Jerry
MG V8 Nut

Jerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud ofJerry has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Fuel system failure (petrol)

Thanks ZTTMAN, purchased and delivered. Now do I fit, or do it when the car eventually stops and it will?
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote