Broadband speed comparison - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG & XPF Community > XPF General Chat!

Old 26-09-2012, 16:12   #1
Keosk

Keosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud of
Default Broadband speed comparison

Was upgraded to 24 Mbps by my provider but most of the time I'm lucky if I see 9 Mbps. Right now it's mid-afternoon and I'm not even achieving that. Just wondering whether anyone is getting anything close to the "up to" speed they were promised.
http://speedtest.net
Keosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-09-2012, 17:28   #2
R8NMG
MKII MGZS180

R8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud ofR8NMG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Broadband speed comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keosk View Post
Was upgraded to 24 Mbps by my provider but most of the time I'm lucky if I see 9 Mbps. Right now it's mid-afternoon and I'm not even achieving that. Just wondering whether anyone is getting anything close to the "up to" speed they were promised.
http://speedtest.net
The key word they use is always 'up to'. I'm on Sky unlimited broadband package and on a very good day I get 7Mbps.

Before I moved to this current house, I used to have Virgin Media Broadband using their fibre optic cable. I was on their slowest 10Mb package and I did get nearly 10Mbps speed.

How I wish I have cable here now.
R8NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 19:31   #3
Rapid Yellow
No longer a Rover / MG owner.

Rapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to allRapid Yellow is a name known to all

Think it still depends on that length of copper wire connecting your house to the phone system unless you have a fibre optic connection.
modded Rover 200vi (1.8 VVC ) - sold to be broken up for parts
Rapid Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26-09-2012, 21:20   #4
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

I have BT infinity for business and get very close to their advertised 40Mps download and 10 Mps upload at the BT box, I do loose speed by then running 10 meters to the server/wi fi box and then loose more by using a wifi network.

We are only 200 metres from the BT green box which helps.

Other factors to consider are the number of users, if we are all online here we have 3 desktops, 3 laptops and 5 smart phones all connected.

Also a lot of providers slowdown durring the evening due to the number of users on the network.

I have a mate in Canada and can get better speed tests off his local broadband hub than he can 2 miles down the road.
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Climate control in a mk1 consol
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 21:24   #5
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

I've just done a test -

19ms ping
14.11Mps Download
7.0Mps Upload

Resonable considering the above.
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Climate control in a mk1 consol
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 00:02   #6
Keosk

Keosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud ofKeosk has much to be proud of

I guess I can't complain too much. I'm more interested in a reliable service than lightning fast downloads. This I've always had from my provider. And no one can match them for price. Even get free anytime international calls in the mix. Been with them since the internet was invented so it's a loyalty perk. Just signed a new contract so I'm actually paying next to nothing. Still, I was expecting slightly faster speeds than what I'm getting, but that seems to be par with copper wire broadband.
Old 27-09-2012, 19:41   #7
Allexx

Allexx is on a distinguished road

im lucky to even get 3mb lmao plus the fact my internet keeps restarting it self its so anoyying!.

EDIT:
Just done a test and here are the readings, Ive never actually seen my internet hit 6Mbs before so this is a first lool!:
Old 27-09-2012, 20:48   #8
InertiaM

InertiaM is on a distinguished road

Seen on another site - the guy is running BT Infinity :-

Wish mine was as fast as that!
Old 27-09-2012, 21:39   #9
Keosk

Best I've had all week

Old 27-09-2012, 21:49   #10
Keosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertiaM View Post
Seen on another site - the guy is running BT Infinity :-

Wish mine was as fast as that!
Yeah but look at the satisfaction rating. Same as mine.
Old 28-09-2012, 04:30   #11
Pompski

Pompski has a spectacular aura aboutPompski has a spectacular aura about

Im lucky if I get 1 meg....
Pompski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 11:48   #12
staccato

staccato is a name known to allstaccato is a name known to allstaccato is a name known to allstaccato is a name known to allstaccato is a name known to allstaccato is a name known to all

36.54 download and 8.32 upload with sky fibre unlimited. I'm in a newbuild estate and only half mile from the BT exchange so I get maximum speeds.
MG ZS 180 MK1
MG ZS 180 MK2
Vauxhall Vectra VXR
Renault Clio Williams
MG ZS 180 MK2
Mazda 3 MPS
Subaru Impreza STI hatch - 360bhp
Mitsubishi Ev0 8 MRFQ340
BMW M5 E60
BMW 335D
staccato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 14:58   #13
oshaka125

oshaka125 is on a distinguished road

Almost everyone’s facing the same issue. I tried performing the speed test and it gave me different results every time I performed the speed test. Then I tried a different site and that gives the same result even after performing the test 3 times. I strongly recommend you to check your internet speed on this site internet speed test and if you see a difference again, contact your provider or change the internet if possible.
oshaka125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadband speed