MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Daftest quote so far re the 6

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Gary Gee 
#1 ·
From .org, home of "the 6 is brilliant, everything else is crap, don't you dare think of saying anything remotely negative" way of thinking:

"I wonder if they kept a low profile, deliberately keeping low sales figures"

Thats quite a revoloutionary concept, wonder if BMW, Ford, GM etc have thought along these lines.

#3 ·
Same here - 2 nearest dealers are both about 15 and 25 miles with the next one being about 35 iirc, so not a huge surprise. Given the amount sold though, they must be rarer than a Jenson Interceptor and I don't exactly see them every day either :lol:

#4 ·
I have been quite surprised by the lack of contact from their dealer network.

We bought our ZS new from them, still have it (so buy the parts from their parts store) and have not moved in that time. Not a single piece of contact to go and see the new car at all. You would have thought they would at least have mail bombed their customer database.

There are some dealers being proactive and getting out there, but they need a dynamic dealer network if they are going to be getting these cars in peoples faces.

Maybe they are waiting for a wider range to be available before putting the marketing budget into it?

#5 ·
There are some dealers being proactive and getting out there, but they need a dynamic dealer network if they are going to be getting these cars in peoples faces.

Maybe they are waiting for a wider range to be available before putting the marketing budget into it?
This I do know is the case as it costs so much to advertise. Strangely I was contacted by a local dealer only yesterday re the MG6 that I looked at in their showroom last Summer.

#6 ·
Went and had a test drive etc a month or two ago (never heard anything from filling in online form at all :bh )

Nowhere near a good enough car to replace the Zed I'm afraid - way too ordinary. Better packaged than the Zed though, not much bigger but loads more room inside.
Just too "ordinary" sums it up - absolutely no "want one" factor like the Zeds.

#13 ·
I wouldn't say that, lots of terrible cars sell in high numbers, if its cheap enough with enough toys and maybe free insurance, then it'll sell. The real issue is they have terrible dealers and terrible marketing. Its looks to me like the chinese are not interested in selling in the uk, its just lip service.

#17 ·
Today we have a new candidate for the stoopidest post:

"I have said before instead of moaning of poor sales show support and buy one and as a staunch fan and supporter for 40 years why have you not purchased one of the new ones?"

Oh yeah - pay out £18k or so to "support" a company that may or may not be in existence in 6mths time (going by the stunning performance by mguk so far I'd vote for "not" tbh), wheres the "support" going to be off them when that time comes?

I don't know how many have the finances to give out this level of support but I think I've done well if I put a fiver in the poppy collection.

Also I really do not understand the link between the old company and new.
To me there is no link - "MGs" are now totally different cars, made in a totally different country by a totally different company.
"Assembled in Longbridge" doesn't count - for whats done there they could sell the car more cheaply directly to people and let them spend an hour or two bolting bits on.

Literally there are only two links - the same crappy engine and the £2.50 MG badge on the front & back.

#18 ·
I think its all about the name/history/romance of the MG name.

They can then sell the cars in China and the buyers over there think they are getting a car from a car maker that goes back nearly a hundred years. They wont be told that the only thing relating to the old proper MG's will be the badge on the front.

But maybe its all going that way. Ford engines in Jaguar cars. Jaguar cars being used to produce a Aston Martin. And plenty more examples.

Still I go back when you had Austin/Morris/Riley/MG 1100 types or the A60 Cambridge types.

Think they will send a few over here to prove they are still supporting our car industry!!!

#20 ·
As a car the 6 is "ok" imo, just see absolutely no reason to buy it over a Skoda, Hyundai, Seat, Kia etc.

I think if you buy one you'd have to get used to giving the "it IS a real mg, honest" speech.

I'm waiting to see what happens when (if?) they ever get round to a soft top.
Historically the tintops have always been the poor relation in the eyes of the beardy true MG enthusiasts, am sure the 6 will go the same way - all (well, I say "all" in the loosest sense!) the 6 owners will get some grief then, hero to zero, isn't in it!

#19 ·
My, the silliness is coming thick and fast today (must be the heat):

" If you haven't bought one of the cars, don't comment on poor sales because it's as bad as people who don't vote but then moan about who wins. How many "Loyal BL/Et al." fans have actually ever bothered to buy many of the products new? because I know an awful lot of them who have never signed on the dotted line for a new car from their favourite manufacturer...There are lots of "Z" fans on here who picked their up for peanuts on Autotrader and believe they have a birth right to comment on MG's new car sales strategy despite never having a hope of buying one of them new themselves.

All car companies include fleet and staff sales in their figures, and for some companies, like Ford and GM, the fleet sales often significantly outweight sales to private motorists. In the early 2000's, MG Rover were actually selling almost as many cars to private buyers as GM were, except GM sold another 2/3rds to fleets. "

So you can only comment if you've bought a car new? Mmmmmm...

I suspect that if you subtract fleet sales from the figs for the likes of Ford, Vauxhall etc you do actually end up with a figure that has three digits! :lol:

I'm surprised that these new chinese fanboys don't suggest giving the figures in binary or hexadecimal so it looks more...

#21 ·
Also great at winning friends and influencing people, in response to a pov that 2nd hand sales are important:

"Yes but not when they've reached banger status as many of the cars people have on her have!"

If this is the type of wnkr that the 6 appeals to then I just wish saic would give up and go home.

#22 ·
this has always gone on in the MG scene, MG owners didn't think the plastic bumper MG's where the real deal, the plastic bumper brigade didn't think the metro's etc where the real deal, no one thought the mgf's where the real deal, everyone hated the z's and it now seems the 6's hate everyone

Lets face it the 6 fan boys also haven't bought a 6, tells you all need to know.

And yes, I've owned a few MG's from new, so apparently my opinion counts lol (and not just z's)

#23 ·
trouble is its a heavy car with a little old underpowered engine, and a zs 180 would completely trounce when it comes to performance. The mg6 would need 220 bhp just to match a zs 180 in a straight line because its so heavy in comparison, even worse news is the 1.8t is not very tuneable as its inherently weak, anything much over 200-210 bhp and your asking for trouble. You cant modify the old lump anyway or else you will void your warranty.......least you would if you were stupid enough to buy one.

#26 ·
I'd love a ZT but wouldn't sell the ZS to get one, I certainly wouldn't get rid of the ZS for that piece of Chinese tin.
Sadly I think MG as a sporting marque is well and truly gone - badge just adorns Chinese Kias now. Nowt wrong with that, they've bought the name - but I don't have to like it, just a real shame for the badge.
Cecil Kimber must be doing about 46000rpm now, spinning in his grave...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.