MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

F Register - Archive project.

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Don Quixote 
#1 ·
I had a particularly busy weekend, and i thought you lot might be interested in hearing about it (and i also have a favour to ask) :rolleyes:

I was invited up to Kimber House in Abingdon and as of last Saturday (9th April), i am now a member of the MG Car Club F Register Committee, specifically my role is part of the ongoing (never ending?) Archive project. What we are trying to do is develop an archive on the MGF / MG TF detailing specifics on as many cars as possible mainly for future owners, but also to help pin down when specific items were added / changes made etc. It's a historical record for future generations / posterity.

So what do we need? Basically anything and everything!! :shock:

Put yourself in the position of a future buyer of your (now classic) car. What would you like to know? The car's history? Specification from new? Used in advertising / owned by a celeb / was on Emerdale? Modifications carried out? Won any prizes? Attended any events? Original numberplate (if changed) - basically the works (including photographs!)

It's a mamoth task and one that will never end - and we already have a large amount of data, mainly from MG Car Club members. What we are trying to do though is more definitive than simply the Car Club membership though - we need as much information as possible on as many cars as possible.

Blimey, what have i let myself in for!!!! :agh:

If you are a car club member, you can already add your details online here:

>> http://www.mgcars.org.uk/carclub/mgfregister/fregister/register/index.htm <<

Unfortunately this is only for Car Club members (the membership number is a required field), but this is due to change, as we are interested in every MGF and TF out there.

So, what do i want from you lot then?

Basically anything you can give me. The above form gives you an idea of the information we are after, but this is the bare bones of it, data for a database if you like. We want more than this, what makes your car unique? How long have you owned it? Bought from new? If not, who did you buy it from (look at the V5 document). Have you attended any major events? What was the original specification and have you modified the car (if so how?)

Be creative - you can't give us too much information!

OK, time to get a bit serious.

Obviously, some of this information is potentially sensitive, i can assure you though that this is 100% above board, has the backing of the MG Car Club F Register and is part of the MG Car Club's remit, indeed it already has extensive archive material on all the MG models produced over the years. The information will be secure and only the historical information, rather than the unique identifying features / numbers will be available to people - there will be no opportunity for someone to clone your car.

We are actively seeking the records from the factory at the moment, but as you can imagine, given recent events we aren't exactly top of thier agenda, however, we (as a car club) do have tacit approval from the factory and i expect this information to become available as and when production of the TF eventually ceases (i still hold out hope that this will be when a replacement comes along, rather than any time in the imediate future).

So, i suppose it comes down to 'do you trust me?' and 'how much time can i spare to type it all up?'

If you do and can spare 10, 15 minutes whatever, we have set up an email account specifically to deal with this data.

The email account is: >> archive@mgfregister.org <<

Again, only mail me details if you are happy with my credibility. You are more than welcome to wait until the secure site is set up (progress is being made). In this case, treat this posting as a 'heads up' that we are after this information and maybe spend a few minutes thinking about what you want to tell us.

As an aside, we shall be talking to owners, taking photographs and VIN numbers down at events and even in the street from now on, so if a large bloke with a ginger ponytail and a clipboard approaches you in a car park it could very well be me! (I don't bite!! :lol: ).

I realise i am asking quite a lot, but it is with the best of intentions and an opportunity for you to organise your car's history (which is always a good thing to do).

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S. Maybe a mod can make this a sticky?

See less See more
#6 ·
Andrew

I'll dig out the V5 documents for all 4 of my MGFs as soon as I get a chance, probably over this weekend. Just to let you know what to expect briefly:

MGF 1.8i - V833 HEC

MGF 1.8i - PE51 MPF

MGF Trophy 160 - PK51 VDL

MGF Trophy 160 - PK51 VDY

Cheers

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.