Fuel Taxes Bigger Burden Than Council Tax For Many - Press Release - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG & XPF Community > XPF General Chat!

Old 28-04-2005, 19:58   #1
ExUser2

Arrow Fuel Taxes Bigger Burden Than Council Tax For Many - Press Release

Fuel Taxes Bigger Burden Than Council Tax For Many

The ABD have produced a ready reckoner to remind voters just how much they are paying in fuel taxes, this can be found at www.abd.org.uk/fuel_tax_calculator.htm where drivers can enter their average mileage and MPG of their vehicle to see just how much they are paying per month to the treasury.

The average driver travelling 12,000 miles per year in a car achieving 30MPG will pay around 120 per month in direct fuel taxation. That's bad enough, however many families with two drivers or doing higher than average mileages can easily be paying more in direct fuel taxes than in council tax - sometimes even more than their mortgage payments.

But direct fuel taxes are only half the story, the hidden cost is far higher still warns ABD Chairman Brian Gregory:

"Everything we buy and all services we use involve road travel and the cost of all goods and services are affected greatly by the extortionate rates of fuel duty" said Gregory. He continued: "80% of the purchase price of all fuel goes to the treasury. Every time a tradesman visits your home, much of what he charges you will be going to the treasury. Every item you buy in a shop, likewise."

ABD spokesman Nigel Humphries urges voters to make sure to voice their concerns over extortionate fuel taxes:

"Even those who don't drive are indirectly parting with huge amounts of money through this stealth tax, yet many probably don't realise it" said Humphries. "It's stifling the British economy and pushing pensioners and those on lower incomes into poverty. It would not be so bad but of approximately 42 billion taken by the government in road tax each year, only around 6 billion gets reinvested in our crumbling transport system".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-2005, 21:00   #2
Dalesoft

Dalesoft is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Taxes Bigger Burden Than Council Tax For Many - Press Release

What the F**k, this recons i am paying ( The equivalent ) of 2.5% extra in income tax :-S

Total Tax Per Year : 1000
Old 28-04-2005, 21:03   #3
pamdug

pamdug is on a distinguished road

Mine worked out at over 1000 and I only put 10,000 miles per year.
pamdug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-04-2005, 22:31   #4
robbo sps

robbo sps will become famous soon enoughrobbo sps will become famous soon enough

strike Strike Strike
robbo sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 17:10   #5
Don Quixote
Mercedes W638

Don Quixote is a jewel in the roughDon Quixote is a jewel in the roughDon Quixote is a jewel in the roughDon Quixote is a jewel in the rough

Well, mine worked out at a total of 3704.44 tax on fuel per year. That's 308.70 per month!

These calculations were based on 38k miles per year and 28mpg (to allow for trackdays ).
Old 29-04-2005, 18:07   #6
Byron
The mechanic

Byron has a spectacular aura aboutByron has a spectacular aura about

Talk about getting ripped off this sucks and this is why

Total Tax Per Year 1311.20
Total Tax Per Month 109.27
Total Tax Per Week 25.22
Equivalent Additional Income Tax 5.46%
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 18:27   #7
Goose

Goose will become famous soon enough

I don't want to know how much it is
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 19:08   #8
Paul Flint

Paul Flint is on a distinguished road

...........and don't forget folks if Anthony Blair gets in on 5th May 2005 your Council Tax Bills WILLgo up after they have been reviewed. Parts of Wales have been reviewed and increased in some areas by 20%.

Howards says he will not be reviewing this gut wrenching stealth tax.
Paul Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 19:39   #9
Goose

Goose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Flint
Howards says he will not be reviewing this gut wrenching stealth tax.
Which was introduced by.....?
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 19:46   #10
Paul Flint

Paul Flint is on a distinguished road

The fairest tax of all was the Pole Tax. WE ALL pay for facilities. The country was in uproar so this system was devised. Since 1997 Council Tax has been increased by some 70% on average.
Paul Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 22:20   #11
Sumo
I'm not as think as you confused am I

Sumo is on a distinguished road

Time to start supporting the farmers and truckers, I think - 2.15% extra on income tax for me.............AAAArrrrgggghhhh!
Old 06-05-2005, 16:39   #12
Dave V6
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.

Dave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond reputeDave V6 has a reputation beyond repute

When is something gonna happen ?,,it cost me 65 today for 72 litres ,,,petrol will soon be more precious than gold and its only flamin oil ,,why the hell dont the country do something ,,we could bring this scam to its knees just by not buying fuel for a week,,roll on the flippin protests and go slows lets do something.
Flaming fat brown the greedy hypocrite wants a rocket up his rear ,,i'd like the chance to see him in the ring with that bloke he wolloped the other year that he got off scott free for,,as youd expect different law for them gits.
Wouldnt be quite so infuriating if we had half decent roads with out all the scamera vans on em but all the roads are crap and the scamera vans are just another equally squallid scam,,why dont they put cameras in usefull places like schools or nightclubs and catch the sods selling drugs to our youths.