MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

hopefully renting a 6 this weekend

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  witness 
#1 ·
If things go to plan!

Need a bigger car for a trip to Alton Towers so thought I'd go for it, drive one for 3 days and see how it really is.
What a palava! Brighton Avis regularly have one or two in the car park where they keep their cars so thought I'd ring direct. Once I figured out how to get through to Brighton I was told to book through head office as it would be cheaper. The guy told me that the car couldn't be gauranteed but they would do their best.
Rung head office and the indian woman named Rose didn't know what an MG6 was! Asked me if it was like a 3 series bmw :slap: Gave me the same price as the local office did and the internet, once she'd figures out which group it was in:agh:

So car finally booked, rung Brighton to confirm. They said there shouldn't be any problems securing the 6.

The problem is that if they can't secure it I will end up with a Peugeot 3008 and that is the ugliest car on the planet!

I will update after the weekend. Good thing is that recently I have a passat cc and a passat estate so at least I can compare to a supposedly good car.

See less See more
#3 ·
saw my very first 6 yesterday....have to admit ive seen worse .
Yeah back in the late eighties there were these things knocking about called "FSO's"....they were worse...unless its just the length of time has warped my memories. !

#6 ·
The new Kia Optima is a good looking car, though - something to do with hiring the former Audi design chief, no doubt.

I've seen quite a few MG6s now, and the looks have grown on me. Was at the MGCC race day at Oulton Park last weekend, and got talking to a chap who uses a black MG6 GT to tow his car around. He picked it up for next to nothing and he rates it quite highly. And the GT does look good in black.

#7 ·
Saw one at Summer Classics in Bristol on Saturday. Lady owner loves it. model was a black GT I believe. Some anorak was talking about Tiff Nedell racing one? I mentioned the touring car team and he ignored me. As I hate that I just walked off. t****r !

#13 · (Edited)
So much for the '6' rental.

I turned up at Avis Brighton for my car after spending a wonderful few hours visiting the bars on the beach (no alcohol).

To my dismay they gave me an Audi A4 tdi 136 with satnav, full leather and cruise.

Now this drove really well, plenty of mid range shove, quite high gears meant it felt more like a petrol once out of 1st. Build quality is awesome, not one creak or rattle anywhere. I've had 2 x brand new passats on hire both with less miles than the audi and they both had exactly same rattles on the dash.

Had a similar feel on the road as both my lowered ZS's did but not as sharp braking.

Would I have one, No!!!

The pedals are way too far offset to the right. To the point of being dangerous. I had to apply the brakes sharpish on the motor way whilst using cruise control and pressed the clutch with my right foot.

Everything that is good about this car is ruined by this one fact, oh and there is no left foot rest as such just a flat pad on the floor.

Now off to voice my complaints to Avis for giving me a car 2 groups above what I paid for.

And to top it off 2 days of rain at Alton Towers then Matlock Bath whilst back home there's a heat wave.

#15 ·
Shame you didnt get the 6 Alan, would have been good to hear you thoughts and comparisons on it. I did test drive one last year, the TSE, was not impreessed but not dissapointed either. Good luck complaing about the 2 step upgrade on hire car lol.

I would certainly consider the high spec deisel model if it returned 50 or more MPG as a works car but for personal use I would want somthing with a bit more poke and sportier looks.

Shame to hear about your luck with the weather, though you should have expected the further north you come the worse it genarally gets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.