XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts

XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts (https://forums.xpowerforums.com/index.php)
-   Oil Recommendations - Fuel (https://forums.xpowerforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Oil Recommendations (https://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=25219)

GazSuttonUK 19-03-2006 11:45

Re: Oil Recommendations

Simon,
thanks for my recent order from yourself.

Our MG ZR 105 will be 12 months old in May. Only done 2,000 miles, would you recommend 'Mobil 1' on an engine this new?
Regards,
Gaz.

oilman 19-03-2006 13:07

Daz,

Yes that should be fine, it only really takes about 1000 miles to run in, in if doubt though use a semi for another 1k.

Cheers

Simon.

GazSuttonUK 19-03-2006 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilman
Daz,
Cheers
Simon.

I've been called somethings but never Daz before! :D

Simon,
I'm not going to cause any damage am I?
What would you advise?
Regards,
Gaz :beerchug

oilman 19-03-2006 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazSuttonUK
I've been called somethings but never Daz before! :D

Simon,
I'm not going to cause any damage am I?
What would you advise?
Regards,
Gaz :beerchug

Sorry Gaz,

No you won't cause damage

Regards
Simon

AdT 22-03-2006 19:56

Hello there,
What is the best choice for my ZT diesel (131 bhp) 2005.
It has done 23.000km's and is used very often for short tracks so the engine stays cold most of the time.
My other car is an MG (of course) :) in fact MGB 1971. I'm now using 15w50 in it. The car is for long summertrips only.
And is 20w50 still a good choice for the gearbox in this classic?
Cheers (with some Old Speckled Hen if available here in Holland) :beerchug

Ad

Paul Wiley 23-03-2006 13:48

Ad

Interesting research on box oil

http://www.quantumechanics.com/categ...index&catid=11

Apart from std 20W50 Millers have a classic mini version which should increase protection and Penrite have have some oils that look suitable re the above.

Synthetic (Royal Purple) may cause a problem with overdrive although the EP additives may be less corrosive in modern gear oils.

Jerry ZS180* 27-03-2006 11:14

Hi there,

Non-MG this one but I wonder if you can help..

My old man's 1993/L Jaguar XJ Sovereign 4.0 (3980cc 6cyl) needs a service and I would like to know what oil I need... Its the XJ40 range, it has 86000 miles on the clock and he only does about 3000 miles a year these days..

Any info would be a great help.

:beerchug

J:)

nedd 27-03-2006 14:20

Quote:

It is suitable (and it is labelled synthetic) but is in fact a hydrocracked petroleum oil.

Cheers
Simon

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply. What is your suggestion for the next oil change - do I need to continue with Castrol TXT 5w-40 which is in engine now? What about "downgrading" to some 10w-40 semi-synthetic? When I bought the car before about 6 months it had about 60.000km and was filled with some "unknown" 10w-40 oil. Soon after I replaced it with Castrol TXT. Now I am not so sure is it a really right choice.

Aidan 30-03-2006 16:33

Hi,
I'm storing a 1969 MG Midget, however have drained gearbox and engine oil and imagine would be better to stand it with oil in it - which should I get, not to run engine, just to sit there!

Non-MG question i'm afraid.

What oil would you recommend both for the gearbox of a 2-stroke 18,000 1982 yamaha RS200 motorbike and what two stoke oil should I use to mix with the fuel? Want one which is readily avaliable and not too expensive as just a commuter bike

Thanks,
Aidan

MarkB 31-03-2006 07:15

Aidan - Im not expert on the subject, but if the engine is going to be standing a long time you may want to consider:

1. Putting Reddex down the bores (lube)
2. Turn the engine once a week (either on the key without the plugs in or if the engine is out do it manually by cranking it)
3. Squeezing the clutch and brakes - so they don't seeze up.

Bet you could get some advise from MG Owners or Car Club - give them a ring.

MarkB 31-03-2006 07:16

Oh, one other thing. I think your right, better to have the oil in it rather than without - corrosion.

andylew0 05-04-2006 20:36

zr 120 53 plate :beerchug

oilman 05-04-2006 20:44

5w-40 full synthetic as the top option, the cost route is for a 10w-40 semi synthetic changed twice as often.

Cheers

Simon.

andylew0 05-04-2006 21:01

do you mean change the 10 40 twice as often :confused:

oilman 05-04-2006 22:00

Yes, a mineral based oil will only go abbout half the distance of a true synthetic.

Cheers

Simon.

MarkB 06-04-2006 08:18

Hi Oilman,

What offers the most protection - in terms of engine wear cold? and hot?

Magnatec 10/40 semi syth make a BIG thing of its cold start protection. Is a fully Syth as good or better for cold starts ? (75% of engine wear is cold starts apparently)

Im guessing that when hot, the full syth offers the better proection (esp. if racing) but this only represents 25% of wear - according to the TV advert.

Cheers Mark.

Paul Wiley 08-04-2006 20:23

SAE Findings

a pair of Mercedes-Benz Engineers (Rudolf Thom and Karl Kollman)along with pair of Shell Oil engineers (Wolfgang Warnecke and Mike Frend)wrote an SAE technical paper (No. 951035) on "Extended Oil Drain Intervals: Conservation of Resources, or Reduction of Engine Life?" Among the many interesting results presented in the paper was a graph showing cylinder-wall wear-rate Measurements correlated with cylinder wall temperature. Cylinder wear rates(in micrograms per hour) were monitored as a function of cylinder-wall temperature in a test engine specifically fitted with radionuclide-impregnated cylinder liners. Three test were done so that three different kinds of oils could be used. In one test sequence, a straight 30 weight oil was used; in another, 10W-30 multigrade; and in the third, straight 10 weight oil. (The test engine was a Mercedes-Benz OM 616 2.4-liter, 4cylinder diesel.) In each case, the engine was operated at fixed speed, torque and temperature conditions until constant wear rates were observed. Wear rates were then plotted against cylinder wall temperature.

The graph of cylinder-wall wear rate versus cylinder wall temperature tends to be bathtub-shaped, with wear increasing sharply at each temperature extreme (as you'd expect). But while two of the oils turned in very similar wear performance, one oil stood out as protecting the engine against wear at the extremes of temperature. That oil was plain SAE 30 (Straight-grade 30-weight). At either extreme of temperature, the maximum wear rate with 10W-30 was more than double that of the straight SAE30 oil. (The worst performance was turned in by straight 10-weight.)

Ester based oils such as Redline are straight-grade
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...sp?subcatID=15

The "UMA" of Magnatec is an ester added to mineral oil.

Ester based synthetics should therefore provide better cold and hot wear

Gas-Axe 09-04-2006 07:37

Think I'd better have some radionuclide liners! cool2

johndjlawson 09-04-2006 21:13

hi simon, im going to order the silkolene pro s 5w40 for my zs180 which is not modified but how much will i need, you only seem to have 5 litre bottles and not 1 litre, dont really want to buy 10 litres

roverman220 10-04-2006 11:53

hi Simon. is it ok to pop in & see you as i'am down in redruth this week? just to get some advice :beerchug

oilman 10-04-2006 11:54

No problem at all roverman.

Just pop in and see us.

Cheers

Simon.

roverman220 10-04-2006 12:32

thanks mate, see you soon :wavey:

MarkB 11-04-2006 08:07

John DJ Lawson

I think you need (at least) about 5.2 litres on a ZS180.

Cheers Mark.

johndjlawson 11-04-2006 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB
John DJ Lawson

I think you need (at least) about 5.2 litres on a ZS180.

Cheers Mark.

cheers mark :beerchug
i have ordered ten litres as opieoils have silkolene on offer at the moment :roll:

MarkB 12-04-2006 08:14

Don't be shy.... What is the special offer on at present? and the P&P ?

:beerchug Mark.

oilman 12-04-2006 10:32

I'm not shy, go to the Members Section of my website (you'll need to request a code) and you'll see all the offers.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk

Cheers
Simon

MarkB 12-04-2006 13:04

Hi Simon,

I have requested a Members pass so I look forward to your reply. I did not have a club reference number - Im sure you already have this info.

Cheers Mark.

KEV180 01-05-2006 00:10

Hi Oilman,
I'm new to the site and have only had my zs 180 mk2 a short while.
I do fairly short trips (usually flat out :roll: :roll: ) and intend to change the oil every 3000 miles as I have done with my previous cars. Question is------
Magnatec 10/40 at the moment--- is it suitable? Also what oil should I use for gearbox, as I'm confused about what should be used as i'm sure I read that the same oil can be used for topup.

Regards Kevin

oilman 01-05-2006 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEV180
Hi Oilman,
I'm new to the site and have only had my zs 180 mk2 a short while.
I do fairly short trips (usually flat out :roll: :roll: ) and intend to change the oil every 3000 miles as I have done with my previous cars. Question is------
Magnatec 10/40 at the moment--- is it suitable? Also what oil should I use for gearbox, as I'm confused about what should be used as i'm sure I read that the same oil can be used for topup.

Regards Kevin

Kevin,

The Magnatec is really a cost option, go for a good quality 5w-40 full synthetic and change every 8,000 miles.

For the gearbox you will need a 75w-90 semi or full synthetic gear oil.

Cheers

Simon.

blue harbour 01-05-2006 17:56

Hi simon!- glad your about!

Did you get anywhere with looking into the miller's 5w-40 oils when compared to say the silkolene pro-s like what im currently using?

i seem to recall you saying that some was being tested last time i spoke to you on this!

Be interested to know any outcome/findings! :beerchug

MarkB 02-05-2006 08:12

Kev 180,

Don;t worry about the gearbox oil matey unless you have got a clunchy box.

The MG (manual) box is a sealed unit and does not need to be changed for 7 years or c.100k miles.

Cheers mark.

KEV180 02-05-2006 22:41

Quote:

Kev 180,

Don;t worry about the gearbox oil matey unless you have got a clunchy box.

The MG (manual) box is a sealed unit and does not need to be changed for 7 years or c.100k miles.

Cheers mark.

MarkB,
When I bought my 180 I decided to check the gearbox oil level, as I've had gearbox probs with my previous motor, a 420 turbo (petrol), Which included stripped
gears in LSD ,and, busted teeth on output shaft (@ 100mph!!!!!), real scary that!!!.
Back to my prob------When I checked oil , WHAT NO OIL??????. Put nearly 1Ltr in.
I wonder if the dealers bothered to check the oil on the last service??? I need to drain the oil and check it. The oil I was enquiring about is to refill completely. I'm assuming that there is a drain plug as previous motor had one. By the way the 420 Turbo would do 0-60 in 6 secs and clock out @150 mph--- not for faint hearted. Sorry about the rambling.

Cheers Kev

MarkB 03-05-2006 08:27

Hello Kev,

A dealer won't check the gearbox level unless there is a problem (nothcy / clunchy chagne) or the interval. Yes there is a drain plug and also a level plug. The difficulty is refilling it to the correct level...... a hydrollic lift is recommended or 4 axle stands and a spirit level - since over filling will be as harmful as under filling.

Im surprised. It should have been ok from the factory.

What made you check it ?

-Mark.

NB- Is there much difference in performance between the 420 / 220 / Tomcat turbo's ? [feel free to ramble away dddc :lol: ]

KEV180 03-05-2006 14:11

Hi Mark,

In answer to your questions re: checking oil. Not long after having the car I went to Luton and back. The next day the gearbox didn't sound too good, so I checked it. The previous owner had it serviced at Edwards of Stratford, so I assumed as there was no leaks (remember this car id 18 months old!!!) there would be plenty of oil. NOT AT ALL!!!!!!. After putting nearly a litre of oil in it sounded a lot better and has been OK since.I wonder if it came out of the factory like this, especially as the previous owner worked for MG and this car was his company car which he bought. As per my previous post,
I've had experience with pg1 boxes, having rebuilt mine 3 times due to failures.

In answer to your last question ( here I go Rambling again :roll: :roll: ) The engine/gearbox is the same as the tomcat turbo (t16) producing 200bhp.
The LSD was always suspect when thrashed and only made 40k if you were lucky. Wheels would spin up when turbo kicked in on a wet road in 1st,2nd and third, which made it interesting to drive. Quoted figures made it faster than a porsche 911 (i can confirm this). I believe that when first produced, it was one of the quickest 4 door family saloons on the road (someone will prove me wrong) and only 500 were made?

Rambling ceased

Regards Kev

MarkB 03-05-2006 16:29

Hi Kev,

Interesting post.

I was going to get my gearbox checked at 30k, but was swayed against it because of the high chance of contamination (dirt) getting into the filler / drainer.

I may still have it done, but my box feels fine. Better when warm though…..

Interesting ramblings – all the 2.0 Turbo cars were impressive, more so than the recent generation of Zed cars I may add !!! To answer your query I believe the Fastest and Possibly the quickest saloon of this day was the 1986ish Lotus Charlton (175 MPH). – I could be wrong though….

Cheers Mark.

PS - Have you put your name down for the Midlands Social on the 25th May. It’s in the events section.
PPS – What is LSD ? :confused: dddc :lol:

KEV180 03-05-2006 17:16

Quote:

Hi Kev,

Interesting post.

I was going to get my gearbox checked at 30k, but was swayed against it because of the high chance of contamination (dirt) getting into the filler / drainer.

I may still have it done, but my box feels fine. Better when warm though…..

Interesting ramblings – all the 2.0 Turbo cars were impressive, more so than the recent generation of Zed cars I may add !!! To answer your query I believe the Fastest and Possibly the quickest saloon of this day was the 1986ish Lotus Charlton (175 MPH). – I could be wrong though….

Cheers Mark.

PS - Have you put your name down for the Midlands Social on the 25th May. It’s in the events section.
PPS – What is LSD ? :confused: dddc :lol:

Hi Mark,

I'll take your word on the quickest car, all I know is that it was quick!!.

LSD- limited Slip Diff- not fitted on ZS. Feeds power to both wheels, stops just one wheel spinning up. Too much throttle on a bend and in the hedge you go!!. Standard Diff seemed to handle bhp better, with the loss of acceleration.

Oil. Maybe good idea to check oil level. Replacement g/box is expensive, even bearings cost much money

Regards kev

MarkB 04-05-2006 08:27

Hi Kev,

LSD - Got it at about 10pm last night :doh

Will take your advise and check the levels. You would have thought though that Powertrain Ltd would have filled a std amount of fluid to each unit.... but you never know when you Eng & Gearbox was fitted, eg Friday afternoon. As you say, worth checking.

:beerchug Mark.

nigel 05-05-2006 20:20

hi there got 55 plate mg zr turbo deisel ,now covering 3000 miles at what time would you recomend first service and what oil..many thanks nigel

aldon 05-05-2006 22:08

Just a quick word about gearbox oil from my own experience. I bought my ZS180 from Perrys rover which closed after Longbridge did. They transfered all servicing to perrys vauxhall just down the road. Since it was under Perrys warranty and the service book wasn't stamped (even though sales person said it had been serviced) I paid for the 2nd year service.
As a result of this the clutch release bearing was changed, however when i washed car a couple of days later I notice grease on inside of wheel. Had a look and sure enough mechanic had put a screw driver though CV boot. Took it back. Had it fixed.
After all this gearbox never felt same, Bearing didn't rattle and clunk anymore but it was very notchy and when cold was a really hard push into 1st. When engine warmed up it was a bit better but never felt right.
So I bought some castrol fully synthetic (can't remember exact name but it was £10/litre from Halfords) and dropped oil.
What came out had the consistency of thick black treacle and smelled badly of grease. The new stuff was runny in comparison and nearly clear.
After the change the gearbox was completly different with every change silky smooth even when cold.
I am convinced that either when the clutch release bearing was done or the cv boot they dropped the oil (or spilled it when moving drive shaft) and put completely wrong stuff in.
Needless to say not going back there for anymore servicing especially when head mechanic wheel spun it out of garage.

My appologies for quick word turning into long rant, but the right viscosity gearbox oil makes all the difference.

oilman 07-05-2006 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigel
hi there got 55 plate mg zr turbo deisel ,now covering 3000 miles at what time would you recomend first service and what oil..many thanks nigel

A 0w-40 or 5w-40 synthetic should be the ticket

Cheers
Simon

roverman220 12-05-2006 18:02

Thanks simon, oil turned up today. :thumbup: thanks again, Tony.

Venom 24-05-2006 06:54

What oil do you recomend for a 25/ZR 105 gearbox?

blue harbour 08-06-2006 21:49

Hi simon/guy! :D :beerchug

Thinking about a g/box oil swap for my zs 180- and wanna do it with good quality fully synth stuff (if available!)- what do you recommend- that meet's or exceeds the req'd spec's???????

And what's happening regards the tests on the miller's oil's (pm that if you want !) :beerchug :beerchug

oilman 08-06-2006 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue harbour
Hi simon/guy! :D :beerchug

Thinking about a g/box oil swap for my zs 180- and wanna do it with good quality fully synth stuff (if available!)- what do you recommend- that meet's or exceeds the req'd spec's???????

And what's happening regards the tests on the miller's oil's (pm that if you want !) :beerchug :beerchug

Hi,

If you want a top notch replacement for the MTF94 have a look at the Amsoil MTF as this is an aprroved synthetic replacemnt, a good upgrade.

No news on Millers yet, been on the back burner. I will keep you updated though.

Cheers

Simon.

blue harbour 08-06-2006 22:24

Quote:

Hi,

If you want a top notch replacement for the MTF94 have a look at the Amsoil MTF as this is an aprroved synthetic replacemnt, a good upgrade.

No news on Millers yet, been on the back burner. I will keep you updated though.

Cheers

Simon.

Ok- cheers simon! :beerchug

Just ordered 3 bottles of the amsoil mtf! :D :beerchug

Great site btw- very easy to navigate & use! :beerchug :beerchug

Hmm- be interested to hear what the findings are on the miller's too- keep us posted bud! :beerchug

Should be ok for the silkolene pro-s for the next 1- maybe 2 oil changes- as i ordered 20 ltr's last time i bought some! (think it was just before the site was up n running iirc! :lol: )

thermoman 12-06-2006 10:36

What oil do I need to use in my JATCO gearbox?

Venom 12-06-2006 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom

hay wot about my question.........?

Venom 29-06-2006 07:02

Is oilman still on ere?

oilman 29-06-2006 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom

Sorry, missed this one.

For the gearbox you need a GL5 75w-80/75w-90.

Have a look at the Motul Gear300 75w-90 or the Silkolene Syn5 75w-90 as top quality options.

Cheers

Guy.

GazSuttonUK 06-07-2006 19:59

I have 5 litres of BP Visco 2000Plus High Performance Motor Oil in my garage that I have had for a couple of years...Is this oil any good? :confused: