XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts

XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts (https://forums.xpowerforums.com/index.php)
-   Oil Recommendations - Fuel (https://forums.xpowerforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Oil Recommendations (https://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=25219)

kamal 08-08-2006 11:44

Re: Oil Recommendations

What would you recommend for a Rover 420sldi? I use 10w 40 semi at the moment would 5w 40 fully synthetic be OK?

Also is it worth sticking to motor oil which is specifically for diesels?

aldon 08-08-2006 12:04

Hi, been looking at your site and decided that I am going to buy a Fuchs oil for the next service.

The two oils I'm looking at are Titan supersyn 5w/40 and Titan Unic Ultra 10/40.

My car is Zs180 with 30000 miles on clock. I drive it quite hard, used daily to work and back (4.5 miles each way), also used regularly on motorways.

Mods are only induction and cat back piper.

which of these two oils would you recommend?

Thanks.:beerchug

oilman 08-08-2006 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal
What would you recommend for a Rover 420sldi? I use 10w 40 semi at the moment would 5w 40 fully synthetic be OK?

Also is it worth sticking to motor oil which is specifically for diesels?

5w-40 would be ideal.

No need to strick to diesel specific, most of these are just market research any way.

As long as it meets the relevent ACEA B# spec then its fine.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman 08-08-2006 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldon
Hi, been looking at your site and decided that I am going to buy a Fuchs oil for the next service.

The two oils I'm looking at are Titan supersyn 5w/40 and Titan Unic Ultra 10/40.

My car is Zs180 with 30000 miles on clock. I drive it quite hard, used daily to work and back (4.5 miles each way), also used regularly on motorways.

Mods are only induction and cat back piper.

which of these two oils would you recommend?

Thanks.:beerchug

Go for the Supersyn 5w-40 as this is a really good quality synthetic, the Unic 10w-40 is a hydrocracked mineral oil.

Cheers

Guy.

shroonie29 08-08-2006 17:12

Is the Supersyn 5w-40 better,worse,same as the Silkolene Pro S 5w-40.Also are the afore mentioned better than Castrol edge 0w-40 as this is what i'm running at the moment but am thinking of going to the Pro S next oil change

:beerchug :beerchug

Shroon

oilman 08-08-2006 17:35

The Pro S has the edge over the Fuchs as it is ester based, the Fuchs is PAO based.

Cheers

Guy.

aldon 18-08-2006 10:10

Thanks for your question shroonie. I ordered the silkolene pro s instead only cost 5 more.

:roll: Brilliant service oilman, came next day:beerchug .

Just waiting for the weather now.:lol:

imroberts 30-08-2006 10:35

Rover 25 1.4 K-series, driven fairly hard

I know oilman recommends 10w-40 semi as a cost option, 5w-40 as a quality option... but given the choice between 10w-40 semi and 0w-40 fully, which would you choose? (I've heard comments about 0w being less stable at operating temperatures, but don't really understand)

Added: (The car is on 24k and has always run on 10w-40 semi previously)

Yugguy 30-08-2006 14:42

If you are changing every 6 or 7k then semi is ok IMO, otherwise go for full, but 5w40

I've just bought some from opie, everything is on sale at the minute, more if you get a discount from being a car forum website member

I got 5 litres of Silkolene Pro S fullysynth 5w40 for 37 quid, free p&p.

imroberts 30-08-2006 21:09

If the only fully I can get hold of is 0w-40 would you stick with semi 10w-40 or go for the fully?

oilman 31-08-2006 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by imroberts
Rover 25 1.4 K-series, driven fairly hard

I know oilman recommends 10w-40 semi as a cost option, 5w-40 as a quality option... but given the choice between 10w-40 semi and 0w-40 fully, which would you choose? (I've heard comments about 0w being less stable at operating temperatures, but don't really understand)

Added: (The car is on 24k and has always run on 10w-40 semi previously)

0w grade oils are not unstable at operating temp at all, usually they are pretty good oils and genuine synthetics.

The 0w was originally designed for the Artic Circle, and is only really around now either due to fashion (mobil and castrol) or for longlife/high fuel economy applications (BMW/VAG).

You car will be fin on 0w-40.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman 31-08-2006 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by imroberts
If the only fully I can get hold of is 0w-40 would you stick with semi 10w-40 or go for the fully?

The synthetic is better, thats a fact.

So its up to you. :D

Cheers

Guy.

jonti 22-09-2006 13:24

hi

what would you recommend oil wise for a zs 120+
approx 12,000 miles per year
totally standard occaisionally driven hard

cheers

oilman 22-09-2006 13:56

5w-40 synthetic is the best option, you can use a semi 10w-40 as well... but it is not as good.

have a look at the Fuchs range of oils here http://www.opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Guy.

jonti 22-09-2006 14:12

Ace thanks for that

Cheers
jon

mgmti 22-09-2006 22:03

Guy,

Here's one or two for you.

1) MG Montego Turbo 8V engine modified. Fuel injected, hybrid turbo etc etc.
currently waiting for another rebuild (last tuning garage claimed they rebuilt the engine but didn't - garage now gone bust). Fast and hard road driving / track days once run in.

Engine running full synth (usually Mobil1)
Gearbox running semi synth

2) MG Montego 2.0i 8V engine standard, often used to pull car trailer (heaviest car on the back was a Daimler Sovereign 4.2).

Engine running semi synth

regards,
Patrick

Gaz 27-09-2006 02:44

hi oilman.

Not an MG-Rover question but Whats the VERY best engine Oil for a D-reg Audi Coupe GT with five Cylinder 2226cc 10valve (engine code:KV) with K-jetronic injection, full compitition exhaust, and iTG foam panal air filter.

posible future mods maybe a hi-lift cam &/or TSR head.

The car has 120,000 miles on clock.

Road use but driven hard. :D

I'm thinking about fully synthetic, what do u think??

oilman 13-10-2006 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgmti
Guy,

Here's one or two for you.

1) MG Montego Turbo 8V engine modified. Fuel injected, hybrid turbo etc etc.
currently waiting for another rebuild (last tuning garage claimed they rebuilt the engine but didn't - garage now gone bust). Fast and hard road driving / track days once run in.

Engine running full synth (usually Mobil1)
Gearbox running semi synth

2) MG Montego 2.0i 8V engine standard, often used to pull car trailer (heaviest car on the back was a Daimler Sovereign 4.2).

Engine running semi synth

regards,
Patrick

Sorry, I missed this one.

I would recommend for both track and towing (as these are both classified as hard driving) a 5w-40 synthetic.

I would suggest a race oil for the track car for the extra thermal stability

Cheers
Simon

oilman 13-10-2006 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz
hi oilman.

Not an MG-Rover question but Whats the VERY best engine Oil for a D-reg Audi Coupe GT with five Cylinder 2226cc 10valve (engine code:KV) with K-jetronic injection, full compitition exhaust, and iTG foam panal air filter.

posible future mods maybe a hi-lift cam &/or TSR head.

The car has 120,000 miles on clock.

Road use but driven hard. :D

I'm thinking about fully synthetic, what do u think??

Gaz,

A fully synthetic for this one I would agree. The age of the car calls for the likes of a 15w-50 so I would suggest that an oil like Silkolene PRO R 15w-50 would be a good top choice.

Cheers
Simon

geoff11 28-10-2006 00:38

Hi Oil man, what would you recomend in a 2004 zt 260, bearing in mind the oil change frequency is 5000 miles. seems overkill to use castrol edge as its designed for long life and is expensive . mine has done 12k and is used only at weekends (fairly hard sometimes )

also what oil should be used in the gearbox.

Thanks Geoff.

p11 cov 28-10-2006 13:32

Forgive me if I've missed it but I don't see a recomendation here for the MG ZT 290 4.6 V8 engine.

Incidentally it may well do a lot of short town journeys from cold.

P.S. Is this the oilman I've come across on the VX220 site?

oilman 29-10-2006 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff11
Hi Oil man, what would you recomend in a 2004 zt 260, bearing in mind the oil change frequency is 5000 miles. seems overkill to use castrol edge as its designed for long life and is expensive . mine has done 12k and is used only at weekends (fairly hard sometimes )

also what oil should be used in the gearbox.

Thanks Geoff.

Geoff,

For the engine we recomend a 5w-40 full synthetic for all year round use. For the gearbox you will need an MTF and we would recomend either the Castrol SMX-S or the Amsoil MTF.

Cheers

Simon.

oilman 29-10-2006 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by p11 cov
Forgive me if I've missed it but I don't see a recomendation here for the MG ZT 290 4.6 V8 engine.

Incidentally it may well do a lot of short town journeys from cold.

P.S. Is this the oilman I've come across on the VX220 site?

That is us :beerchug

For the V8 a 5w-30, we recomend synthetic either the Motul or Amsoil.

Cheers

Simon.

Stu 29-10-2006 15:39

Isn't that the basically the same engine you have made two different recommendations for?

5w30 and 5w40?

Paul Wiley 30-10-2006 21:49

Simon

Do you have any details on the Titan GT1 apart from on Data sheet.

I understand that it is a vegetable (canola) based synthetic. FUCHS sponsor a V8 SuperCar Commodore and various Porsche GT3 race vehicles, and the I understand the teams use the GT1 straight out of the bottle, all other major teams have there oil formulated specifically for the race engine.

shroonie29 30-10-2006 22:02

Can you recomend a 10w40 semi for the ZS 180 please

Shroon

MarkB 31-10-2006 08:21

Shroon - Castrol Magnatec ?

kookiemg 31-10-2006 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilman
Geoff,
For the engine we recomend a 5w-40 full synthetic for all year round use. For the gearbox you will need an MTF and we would recomend either the Castrol SMX-S or the Amsoil MTF.
Cheers
Simon.

NO NOT MTF - it uses ATF.
Oilman - The gearbox in the ZT260 is a Tremec TR3650 - I believe this application actually calls for ATF (I know it's a manual) to Dexron III. I also believe this box to be very sensitive to overfilling and know that Tremec reduced the level from around 3.8 litres to around 3.2-ish...
I don't want to worry anyone - but such was the anger in US with this box giving up (grinding from 1-2 and 3 being difficult to engage) after a few thousands of miles, lawsuits were flying around all over the place. Check on any mustang/ford forum....
Tremec were very specific about not using a fully synthetic oil...apart from Mobile 1 ATF. Their recommendation is very much Texaco Dexron III (the factory fill) on which the box was developed.
This box uses carbon fibre on the synchros and their feeling was that synthetics would damage this.... :confused: The only fully tested synthetic was the Mobil.
I'm personally leaving my Tremec well alone...if it ain't broke....

Oh, and you have recommended two different grades of engine oil for the same 4.6 V8 engine in 2 posts one after the next...?

geoff11 31-10-2006 23:38

I picked him up on this, it should read 30 not 40 oops !!!

shroonie29 01-11-2006 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB
Shroon - Castrol Magnatec ?

It's a distinct posibility that mate,but I'm also looking into 10w40 fully synth
from opie oils(wish I could make my mind up :) )

Shroon

MarkB 01-11-2006 12:50

Shroon - only way to find out is take the plunge and keep your eyes and ears pealed for the results.

shroonie29 01-11-2006 13:17

Decided upon Motul 300v Chrono 10w40,time will tell :)

Shroon

MarkB 01-11-2006 17:17

Hi Shroon - is that a fully synth? and please post up what you think, esp cold start noise !!!

aldon 01-11-2006 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB
Hi Shroon - is that a fully synth? and please post up what you think, esp cold start noise !!!

Yes, I would be interested to hear your views on that too.:beerchug

shroonie29 01-11-2006 18:25

Will let ya all know how it goes laterthis month.It;s a fully synth double ester technology etc. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performanc...ono_10w-40.pdf

Shroon