Zs 180 clutch slave cylinder probs :( - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > MG Model Specific > MG ZS

Old 16-04-2010, 18:20   #1
trumbol
ZS180SALOON

trumbol is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Zs 180 clutch slave cylinder probs :(

Does anybody know how to bleed the clutch fluid on a ZS180?

My slave cylinder snaped and the bracket that supports it was cracked and bent a few days ago.
I have now fitted a brand new bracket and a new slave cylinder, but the clutch pedal is stilll soft?
I'm guessing it was full of fluid when I got it as it's a sealed unit?
So maybe it just needs bleeding but I'm not sure how to do this as there is no bleed nipple?
However, if anybody knows of any other reason that the pedal would remain soft after replacing the parts I'd be greatful for some help?

trumbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-04-2010, 18:31   #2
stefan161
Mk1 ZS180 Saloon XPG

stefan161 is just really nicestefan161 is just really nicestefan161 is just really nicestefan161 is just really nice
Default Re: Zs 180 clutch slave cylinder probs :(

You'll probably find that the bracket gave way first and took the Slave cylinder with it. I think the general opinion is that the master cylinder also needs to be replaced at the same time.
stefan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 18:45   #3
trumbol
ZS180SALOON

Really? I wouldn't have thought It would have got damaged?
I think I'll just have to get it recovered to a garage and let them fix it :P
Old 16-04-2010, 19:22   #4
Spectre

Spectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud of

Yeah there obviously is a process for fitting them new but the manual says it cant be bled. PM shedist on here and get one of his all metal replacement kits, it is much better than OEM and costs less than OEM aswell (hope you didnt buy the slave new!). diy fit and bleeds like a standard clutch.
Old 17-04-2010, 12:04   #5
trumbol
ZS180SALOON

Unhappy Re: Zs 180 clutch slave cylinder probs :(

Yeah I've just been reading about those on here, I should have bought one...
Unfortuntely I paid 111 for the slave new and 50 for the bracket so i'll have to get it fixed as it is (hopefully just needs a master) and when it goes again i'll get the upgrade.
Should have joined this forum earlier!!

Thanks for your help though
Old 17-04-2010, 12:11   #6
Spectre

Spectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud ofSpectre has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumbol View Post
Yeah I've just been reading about those on here, I should have bought one...
Unfortuntely I paid 111 for the slave new and 50 for the bracket so i'll have to get it fixed as it is (hopefully just needs a master) and when it goes again i'll get the upgrade.
Should have joined this forum earlier!!

Thanks for your help though
Ouch, the sheddist kit might still be cheaper than the master and a garage labour to fit it!
Old 17-04-2010, 21:19   #7
Big_Si

Big_Si is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumbol View Post
Does anybody know how to bleed the clutch fluid on a ZS180?

My slave cylinder snaped and the bracket that supports it was cracked and bent a few days ago.
I have now fitted a brand new bracket and a new slave cylinder, but the clutch pedal is stilll soft?
I'm guessing it was full of fluid when I got it as it's a sealed unit?
So maybe it just needs bleeding but I'm not sure how to do this as there is no bleed nipple?
However, if anybody knows of any other reason that the pedal would remain soft after replacing the parts I'd be greatful for some help?

When mine went (also before I'd read about the Sheddist kit! Grrrrrrrrr!) I had the slave replace and bracket fixed.

When I got it back the clutch was very soft and peddle went pretty much to the floor to change gear.

However with use it firmed up and the biting point raised higher. I didn't have to change the master.

Perhaps this might happen with yours?

Si
Big_Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 21:24   #8
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

As with brakes there may be some air in the new section, try pumping it a lot to get this to move up to the resevoir.

However if you do decide to replace the master cylinder it will properbly be worth going for the sheddist kit, they are around 150 IIRC for the complete thing and come with very good fitting instructions.

Then stick the almost new slave on eBay to recoupe some of your costs.
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Climate control in a mk1 consol
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Talkingcars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 22:31   #9
TimmR_ZS180

TimmR_ZS180 is a splendid one to beholdTimmR_ZS180 is a splendid one to beholdTimmR_ZS180 is a splendid one to beholdTimmR_ZS180 is a splendid one to beholdTimmR_ZS180 is a splendid one to beholdTimmR_ZS180 is a splendid one to behold

Our local garage (when they were Rover) used to send "the boy" out to push the clutch pedal up and down as it could take up to an hour's worth of pedal pushes to get the air out!
TimmR_ZS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 12:23   #10
glen290

glen290 is on a distinguished road

You paid 50 for the bracket ? When i bought 2 last year it cost me 18 from a dealers for the pair..
glen290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 08:34   #11
Gas-Axe
Administrator

Gas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant futureGas-Axe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen290 View Post
You paid 50 for the bracket ? When i bought 2 last year it cost me 18 from a dealers for the pair..
Sounds too cheap Glen. Parts dept cock-up?

MGR parts seem to have rocketed in price over the past couple of years.
'06 330d M Sport Auto || Evolve Switch 300PS 500ft/lb || BMW Performance Brakes || Paddleshift Retrofit || Alpine HiFi Upgrade || 6CD retrofit || BMWP Gloss Grilles || oh and a Witter detachable hidden towbar LOL
Gas-Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 11:38   #12
glen290

glen290 is on a distinguished road

Dont know if it was a cock up, but im not complaining.

Pult my spare one on a few weeks back when it split and took out my slave cylinder.

A chap near me is currently making me a spare one, with more strength and support to it..
glen290 is offline   Reply With Quote