MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Oil Catch Tank

40K views 178 replies 36 participants last post by  James Raby 
#1 ·
Fitted a catch tank - took 10 mins - to hopefully prevent the oil vapour problem in air filter box. After 1 month in service all is well, not a drop to be seen. :roll:

#2 ·
Good news - thanks for posting.

Got pics of said tank?

#3 ·
Ped's- which line did you pipe into on the breather system out of interest?

The smaller- high vacuum side?

Or the larger- low vacuum side?

I tried mine on the larger breather line to begin with- but i was still getting oil in the inlet!- then i switched to the smaller-low vacuum line, and although im still getting a small amount of oil in the inlet- it has largely sorted the problem!

The only thing that im uncertain about though- is whether or not the oil that is still present in my inlet mani- is simply oil that was already there- from before fitting the catch tank, or indeed if it is new/fresh oil (as it looks!)- that is finding it's way down the larger-low vacuum line- and into the TB????????

Im non too sure which it is tbph!- i never bothered cleaning the inlet mani out when i fitted the catch tank- so i suppose it could just be residual oil that's slowly seeping back- but the oil that im seeing does look V clean- which ties in- cos my car has only recently been serviced!

Reactions: sheddist
#4 ·
No oil dripping into filter box since catch tank fitted
Oil accumulating in high vacuum catch tank.
Low vacuum catch tank made, just needs time to fit it an pipe it up. Planning to fix it to back of filter box. Will post pikkies.

#7 ·
Im sure sheddist has already got some piccy's of his setup in the gallery!

And i'll whack a photo of my old setup in the gallery too! :beerchug

Reactions: DeMoNPauL
#9 ·
thebear said:
hi there would u by any chance have any pics as to where and how the oil catch tank fits.
chhers :roll:
If I remember right Peds sold his ZS180 so probably isn't around any more, but forum members sheddist and blue harbour have fitted them and I think they'll have pictures - send them a PM :beerchug

#10 ·
#11 ·
That piccy shows the tank plumbed in incorrectly!

It goes into the smaller of the two breather lines! :beerchug

#12 ·
I'm fitting a catch tank this weekend. I've previously put a crank case filter on the larger pipe as I, like harbs, thought that was the culprit. But now I've got OE induction back on I can see that I was woefully wrong.:( If sheddist is right, I am going to leave the filter on as his idea is that at high revs, IIRC, the larger bore actually sucks air to avoid a vacuum in the crankcase.

Looking at Harbs's bracket I think the one I've made maybe a little ott and could knock a couple of seconds off my 0-60 time:crackup . I will post piccs when done.

#15 ·
aldon said:
I'm fitting a catch tank this weekend. I've previously put a crank case filter on the larger pipe as I, like harbs, thought that was the culprit. But now I've got OE induction back on I can see that I was woefully wrong.:( If sheddist is right, I am going to leave the filter on as his idea is that at high revs, IIRC, the larger bore actually sucks air to avoid a vacuum in the crankcase.

Looking at Harbs's bracket I think the one I've made maybe a little ott and could knock a couple of seconds off my 0-60 time:crackup . I will post piccs when done.
aldon have you got pics of the oil catch tank you fitted and also dont understand wot u mean about losing power with the air filter u fitted

#17 ·
Maybe this is the correct pic

#19 ·
DeMoNPauL said:
Maybe this is the correct pic

Getting my catch tank today and will fit it today as well. But I see some with an Oil breather filter added, is it worth fitting one and what is the advantages of having one installed and where is the best place to get one for a ZS180 or are they all universal? (by the way I dont mean the catch tank, I'm on about the little filter thing.)

Cheers

#20 ·
Venom said:
Getting my catch tank today and will fit it today as well. But I see some with an Oil breather filter added, is it worth fitting one and what is the advantages of having one installed and where is the best place to get one for a ZS180 or are they all universal? (by the way I dont mean the catch tank, I'm on about the little filter thing.)

Cheers
I fitted a breather to the larger breather pipe ages ago, wrongly thinking that it was this that was getting the oil into the TB. I have still been getting oil in the TB so I looked on here again, a little more thoroughly this time, and learned it was the smaller pipe that has the oil. When I fitted the breather I did wonder if it ws right because there was no oil in the pipe. When I did the catch tank the small pipe was full of oil so :doh it was that one.
I have left the breather on the larger pipe going on Sheddists assumptions about the breather system. And seeing as there is no oil on this filter or even no oily smells coming from it when running then it must be sucking air.

I can't honestly say if it's worth fitting or indeed if it is doing anything I have just left it as it was.:roll:

To get the correct size, I can't remember what it is, just measure the diameter of the pipe and buy a filter that has a rubber neck with an internal diameter the same or maybe 1-2mm bigger, and fasten it on with a jubilee clip. The hardest thing is blocking the pipe into the throttle body. I used a plastic blanking plug for the white plumbing pipes from B&Q and a jubilee clip. You can see this on the first 2 pics in my thread above.

Hope I have been some help to you Venom.:roll:

#21 ·
Cheers Alan, thankd for the info.

I got my catch tank today but yet my car was still not ready for collection from the garage. On alot of other systems installed have changed the pipes (i.e. black pipe or blue piping) Could some one tell me where to get some of that piping from please as the stuff you get in the box with the catch tank is a bit of garden hosing.

#24 ·
Sorry to be a pain but I'm a bit of noobe on this sizes, thickness and what i'm looking for and.........well every thing? could you point me in the right direction i.e. what size and length and bore i'm looking for on both vacume and cooling pipe for the tank?
Please.

#25 ·
Which line is a vacume line and which is the cooling line as well please? I have marked the two lines with a number what is line 1 and what is line 2?

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Venom said:
Which line is a vacume line and which is the cooling line as well please? I have marked the two lines with a number what is line 1 and what is line 2?
They are both the same tube. I bought it as a 1 metre length from Bullseye motorist discount centre. It is brake servo vacuum pipe with an internal diameter of 9mm secured in place with jubilee clips. I used vacuum hose because I didn't want it to crush under vacuum at high revs.

The coolant hose is what is attached to the Idle Air Control Valve and the bottom half of my induction kit. It is 3/4 inch internal diameter. No special hose required If you look in my gallery at the EVO setup you can see a small breather filter attached to a 19mm 90deg plastic bend (B&Q plumbing sect) that I painted silver. This is attached to the IACV with a piece of red hose pipe with an ID of 19mm.:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.