MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Zs 180 clutch slave cylinder probs :(

9K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  glen290 
#1 ·
Does anybody know how to bleed the clutch fluid on a ZS180?

My slave cylinder snaped and the bracket that supports it was cracked and bent a few days ago.
I have now fitted a brand new bracket and a new slave cylinder, but the clutch pedal is stilll soft?
I'm guessing it was full of fluid when I got it as it's a sealed unit?
So maybe it just needs bleeding but I'm not sure how to do this as there is no bleed nipple?
However, if anybody knows of any other reason that the pedal would remain soft after replacing the parts I'd be greatful for some help?

:daft:

#4 ·
Yeah there obviously is a process for fitting them new but the manual says it cant be bled. PM shedist on here and get one of his all metal replacement kits, it is much better than OEM and costs less than OEM aswell (hope you didnt buy the slave new!). diy fit and bleeds like a standard clutch.

#5 ·
Yeah I've just been reading about those on here, I should have bought one...
Unfortuntely I paid £111 for the slave new and £50 for the bracket so i'll have to get it fixed as it is (hopefully just needs a master) and when it goes again i'll get the upgrade.
Should have joined this forum earlier!!

Thanks for your help though :)

#7 ·
When mine went (also before I'd read about the Sheddist kit! Grrrrrrrrr!) I had the slave replace and bracket fixed.

When I got it back the clutch was very soft and peddle went pretty much to the floor to change gear.

However with use it firmed up and the biting point raised higher. I didn't have to change the master.

Perhaps this might happen with yours?

Si

#8 ·
As with brakes there may be some air in the new section, try pumping it a lot to get this to move up to the resevoir.

However if you do decide to replace the master cylinder it will properbly be worth going for the sheddist kit, they are around £150 IIRC for the complete thing and come with very good fitting instructions.

Then stick the almost new slave on eBay to recoupe some of your costs.

#11 ·
Sounds too cheap Glen. Parts dept cock-up?

MGR parts seem to have rocketed in price over the past couple of years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.