What do you have ? - Page 3 - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
Logo

Go Back   XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts > General Technical Section - ask the Experts! > Induction / Exhausts

View Poll Results: What induction do you have fitted to your cars
BMC CDA 45 13.31%
ITG Maxogen 48 14.20%
Open cone in engine bay 53 15.68%
Open cone in inner wing 32 9.47%
Aftermarket panel filter 37 10.95%
Standard MG Rover filter 99 29.29%
Enclosed cone in inner wing 11 3.25%
Enclosed cone in engine bay 28 8.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 22:23   #71
Christina
You give me road rage...

Christina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you have ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
Ahhh I see, that picture makes it clear. Not sure about the resonator box, but my dads ZS 180 is deffinatly missing that tube in between the air filter housing and the resonator box. Is that ok or will it have any poor affects?
Don't drive through any deep puddles.
(@)(@)********(@)(@)**(@)

The rich don't care. The poor don't matter.
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:45   #72
ashy90

ashy90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post
Don't drive through any deep puddles.
Hmmm driving in last nights rain on the flooded roads, I thought to myself it would be wise to fit that missing piece onto the ZS180.

Will adding the missing tube and the resonator box (if its not there already) reduce power/performance?
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52   #73
Christina
You give me road rage...

Christina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond reputeChristina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
Will adding the missing tube and the resonator box (if its not there already) reduce power/performance?
The resonator box is likely to still be there. You can see it with the bonnet up through a gap just behind the headlight.

I doubt there will be any huge difference in power/performance with replacing the pipe. I drove our mk1 for ages with the pipe missing. Just had to be wary of deep water.
(@)(@)********(@)(@)**(@)

The rich don't care. The poor don't matter.
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 23:55   #74
ashy90

ashy90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post
The resonator box is likely to still be there. You can see it with the bonnet up through a gap just behind the headlight.

I doubt there will be any huge difference in power/performance with replacing the pipe. I drove our mk1 for ages with the pipe missing. Just had to be wary of deep water.

Did you notice a differance with it removed?

I wonder if any marginal loss caused by fitting that pipe back, will be gained by me replacing the standard old air filter with a brand new KaN type panel filter? Sort of balance it out?
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:23   #75
v6bloke
Zedhead

v6bloke is infamous around these parts

Im currently running the standard setup, i do have a pipercross open cone which sounds good but robs the car of power so unless someone offers me an inner wing setup cheap i will stay with the OE kit as it WORKS the car flies with standard kit on !
v6bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 21:47   #76
stroller1

stroller1 is on a distinguished road
MG Re: What do you have ?

standard for now still thinking what one to fit.
stroller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 00:08   #77
kindofblue
Lighten up dude

kindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud of

Chuffed to bits....

I picked up a genuine ITG ZS top pipe with major / minor pipe couple of months ago for 15. After a lot of patient searching I have bagged a genuine BMC cda carbon air box nearly new with a cleaned and oiled filter for a third of the new retail cost. Coming with some bracketing so I just need to sort a bottom pipe run now to inner wing / bumper. And maybe an adjuster for the ITG to BMC - BMC top pipe is 80mm on the outer edge I believe. Could be fitting it on Saturday

This picture of the ITG top pipe is borrowed - same piece though

P
225 / 40 / 17 - 7.5J AVON ZZ3's
EBC Green Pads
'Sheddist' Clutch
'Masher' Oil Catch Tank
Stebel Twin Air Horn
SCU Relay Upgrade
kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 18:15   #78
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

The BMC CDA will be 82mm if it is the one speced for the ZS180. It should be a ACCDA85-150, 150mm is the diameter of the chamber.

Do you know the ID of the hose?
As long as it close it should be fine with a worm clip.
If it is tight leave the hose in really hot water to soften it, smear a drop of washing up liquid round the inside to act as a lubricant.
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Climate control in a mk1 consol
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 16:05   #79
kindofblue
Lighten up dude

kindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud ofkindofblue has much to be proud of

OK many thanks - finally got round to this in 2016 when I had a little free time.

In the end its a bit of a hybrid but all solid theoretically - ITG top pipe goes to 85 mm aluminium (air con) pipe with jubilee brackets which I have baked in black barbecue heat resistant paint (more for neatness) - this runs towards the nearside inner wing with the original filter and sound box removed. Just at the point of the plastic liner I have sited a BMC closed carbon box sports filter horizontally - its from a 3.2 Audi (crash recovered) and almost new - I dismantled and cleaned / oiled anyway.

Since this is reasonably heavy I fashioned an aluminium strip bracket for the centre which bolts onto the inner wing under the battery. The engine bay end is supported by the plastic liner (I marked this and cut out a hole to fit the diameter of the BMC - worked a treat).

The CAF is important because warm air doesn't help the induction process. I made up from more aluminium expansion pipe taking it up into the inner wing through a lazy 'U' shape to act as a water trap. The bottom of this then joins to a rigid PVC pipe that runs horizontally behind the fog lights to the open grill area under the bumper culminating in a slash cut open bend facing directly forward, i.e. a ram air arrangement - car goes faster, more air is rammed in. Fashioned from one of these...

I've been careful to make sure its all air tight and no kinks anywhere. Everything is well supported with enough play to stop anything getting stressed or pulled apart. This is how the top looks...

Bottom of the ITG towards the BMC - with the stock filter out of the way there is enough room although I wouldn't like to try and fit the filter case engine bay side - would be right behind the radiator for one thing.

Inner end of the BMC - if you go second hand like I did, there are two capacity versions of the BMC which look very much alike - make sure you get the big one (approx 14" entry to exit), the small one is for engines 2.0 ltr and less.

The CAF entry point is here - I painted everything matt black including the grill as I want to be discreet - car is showy enough.

As a dad project (if you are into pottering with cars) the fabrication is interesting and needs a little read around but completely manageable. You could go the easy route and shell out 400 for the original 'new' BMC dedicated package for the Zed 180 but I guess I like the idea of having nearly new / improved for less than 100 including the can of heat resistant paint and jubilee clips from ebay. I did a lot of research and the general consensus was that both open cone inside the engine bay and cheaper K&N options are almost pointless. The real benefits comes from more air (a more direct open pipe), a high quality 'club sport type' filter, increased pressure created by the CDA design and the cold air feed (pressure and more air). So its worth doing it well.

So was it worth it performance wise? Yes definitely. You have to reset the ECU (search this forum) and then the engine learns it has more air to work with. Pickup feels more responsive particularly under 3000 revs (and the VIS kicking in) and I have to be more careful in the rain now as its easy to lose front traction from standing starts and quick changes first to second. Note this is helped no doubt by a big bore cat back exhaust system I had fitted in 2010 (stainless - still good as new).

Mileage is 54,000 with oil breather trap from new. Vis working OK but about to be dismantled and checked / cleaned.

Had the car out today in the sun - will post a picture later on.

August 2016
EBC Green Pads
'Sheddist' Clutch
'Masher' Oil Catch Tank
Stebel Twin Air Horn
SCU Relay Upgrade

Last edited by kindofblue; 29-08-2016 at 20:07.
Old 24-09-2016, 17:44   #80
Talkingcars

Talkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant futureTalkingcars has a brilliant future

I like the induction but would be worried about deep puddles with such a low intake.
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Old 31-12-2016, 18:52   #81
kindofblue
Lighten up dude

Thought I would post a quick update 12 months in.

Low CAF hasn't been an issue for me. Like I described I put a U bend into the inner wing and I think this is enough for rainy days. We dont have much water on Guernsey itself although I avoided the odd flood road last Spring.

In the late Summer I completely stripped both VIS, cleaned, re-soldered, replaced some parts, got my kick back. So now I essentially have new VIS (working), cat back big bore Tony Banks exhaust, ITG / BMC 80mm with cold air ram to front grill, and the best oil / spark plugs I can buy. I recon its running somewhere around the 190 BHP mark, maybe a touch more.

I've had the car 10 years now and the difference is real, not imagined. On a fast run the Zed with spin its front wheels in second and third gear if there is any steering on at all (or dampness on the road) - I've got 80% new ZZ3 Avon boots - its not the tyres getting worn.

In fact this month on two occasions I nearly put her in the hedge. Should have known better. On a sprint one night down the lanes, damp road, some debris on the surface I went through a tight twisty section and as I apexed I fed in the power (too harshly) spun the wheels and understeered wildly onto the grass verge. Caught it before the devon bank kissed me. Two nights later, I went down a steep wooded hill complex (used for hill climbs in the Summer) at a lick braking hard before a 70 degree right - not too bad but it both tightened to 90 degrees and the camber dropped off suddenly - I backed off the throttle and spun her 180 degrees ( i.e lost it) but managing to stay on the road this time.

Well I haven't managed to do this in 10 years with the Zed so I am putting it down to my getting used to the extra zip - it feels maybe 20% faster than stock but its more about how it breaths better and delivers it earlier - the VIS valves working properly as well. These were probably going off for the last 5 years.

It's all good and I an treating the girl with more respect now, especially low in the gears.

P

EBC Green Pads
'Sheddist' Clutch
'Masher' Oil Catch Tank
Stebel Twin Air Horn
SCU Relay Upgrade
Old 01-01-2017, 11:22   #82
Talkingcars

Yeah, don't go crashing it.
Current projects
OEM Cruise control
Thinking about
LPG
Pop up sat nav

WWW.TALKINGCARS.ME.UK
Old 01-01-2017, 17:40   #83
kindofblue
Lighten up dude

I know! I look after the car well, never sprint from cold, change oil regularly, filters etc. Dont abuse it at all, but I like a sprint - no point riding a bear unless its a grizzly right? The two incidents were certainly down to me, not the car, and its the extra ooompphh that caught me out - you get used to a cars feel over 10 years and this has now changed. I guess I got away with it in the dry early Summer.

I am going to up-rate the brakes in the Spring, next project, and have a look at the suspension, see if I can get some new dampers / springs - bound to be tired at 12 years old (mileage about 55K). All good.

Best

Paul
EBC Green Pads
'Sheddist' Clutch
'Masher' Oil Catch Tank
Stebel Twin Air Horn
SCU Relay Upgrade