MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Intermittent metallic rattle?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TommyV6 
#1 ·
Ok so I've had this vibration/rattle for quite a few months now. It's completely random and intermittent, and I can't seem to recreate it at all. It sounds like a 'loose washer' type rattle, caused by engine vibration.

I mostly hear it (quite loud) when I first start the car up and it's idling or when driving around in low gears at low speeds, although that's probably just because road and engine noise drowns it out at higher speed. But not every time I start the car... it's completely random. It might rattle only for one or two seconds one day, and the next morning it might rattle almost constantly while I drive down my driveway in 1st/2nd gear. Or it can come and go, rattle for a couple seconds, disappear for a couple more then come back: basically, random.

I've had a check of things like heat shields and other obvious candidates, but they all seemed solid. The car is de-catted, but still has the pre-cat (which actually has a dent on the bottom where I must have hit a rock).

Any ideas?

Can pre-cat internals rattle?

I'm going to be putting the car on axle stands tomorrow if the weather allows, so ANY ideas of what might possible cause a rattle like this would be greatly appreciated! I'm starting to run out of ideas...

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure what it could be without hearing it mate, but I remember that the heatshield on the exhaust that was located right under where I sat came loose due to a rusted washer. The heatshield was rattling between the Piper zorst and the underside of the car.

I just replaced the washer with a larger one and it solved the problem straight away.

I must admit though that it drove me mad wondering what on earth it was at first :lol:

J:)

#3 ·
No ideal, my experience of locating unusal noises is a bit hit and miss and i've lost many a good friend in trying to identify where the noise is coming from. My advice is attempt to recreate the conditions that cause the noise, preferably when you have a passenger that can throw themselves into the footwells, boot, hangout the windows, run alongside, maybe even get in the bonnet if there a really good friend. then try to recreate the conditions, fast acceleration, sharp steering, hard breaking etc.

#4 ·
Cheers for the replies guys. :)

I had a bit of luck over the weekend.

I had managed to narrow it down to the exhaust by prodding at the bottom end of the front downpipe (causing the rattle/vibration to lessen slightly) when it happened to start rattling one morning. Then yesterday afternoon, more luck, it started to rattle when I had the car up on stands with the engine running... I got under the car and am now 95% sure that the pre-cat is the culprit (5% chance there's a devious something-or-other sitting on top of the pipe and rattling against it).

I have access to a 2-post lift on Fridays so, if I can get hold of a new/used replacement, I can hopefully get it sorted. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.