: Which CDs for High Line sat nav?

SquareEyes
19-07-2002, 08:38
Hi

Just wondered, for future reference, who provides the CDs for the sat nav systems? Wanted to check prices etc.

Thanks

ExUser2
19-07-2002, 08:44
Navtech,

They supply for 3 years FOC an updated disc every 6 months - well they did when I bought my R75.

The year I drove to 24LM in the car, the basic French roads were in the system, but they do offer discounted discs on an ocassional basis for Europe!

When you bought the car you should have signed some Navtech paperwork (I believe), or the dealer does it automatically.

As mentioned they send out flyers and such like. Matt Hicks will have more info as he is now the proud owner of the beast!

SquareEyes
19-07-2002, 11:08
Thanks.

Don't think I am elligible for FOC. My vehicle is a one month old Zt previously registered to a rover dealer manager. Apparently, since they get them at a reduced rate they forfeit the FOC discs. That's what I am told. I have no card to send back to Navtech.

ExUser2
19-07-2002, 11:44
Shame, send Matt or Patrick an mail/PM - they both have the system I'm sure they will help out with more details.

I really liked the system and full integration with TV/teletext - CD ect. Miss all those 75 toys!

Ex-Member_A
19-07-2002, 12:01
Jerry,

Nav Tech only supplied one disc FOC. Any more you have to pay.

I called them a couple of months ago to find out where my new disc was and they clarified it as when the car is bought they suply the disc in the car and one free update.

Matt.

ExUser2
19-07-2002, 12:09
Thanks for that Matt - must be senile dementia.

Patrick
20-07-2002, 00:24
Mr. Square Eyes!

I think the process for the Sav Nav is the unit is fitted in the factory into the car and shipped to the garage without the map CD. The garage then applies for the CD from Nav Tech (disk publishers) once the car is sold. Nav Tech ship the disk within a day or so to the garage. The garage then set up the Sat Nav and check it out so you get a car with a fully functioning Sat Nav and the latest disk.

As part of the handover you should get a 50 page Audio & Navigation Manual and Nav Tech CD case (seems more like a DVD sized case to me). In the CD case should be a form that you complete and send of to Nav Tech to register that you have one of their Map CDs. To encourage you to register you are promised 1 free upgrade. Since the maps are released every 6 months you should get and upgrade in that time period. With this upgrade you should also get an offer to take out a support subscription so you can continue to get upgrades.

While it is nice to have an upgrade, I do not think the UK road network changes sufficiently fast to need annual or twice annual upgrades. Indeed we have a three year old disk in the second car and find this is almost perfectly accurate still!

The other advantage of registering is that you are on the promotions mailing list and they keep (once a year?) making offers on cheap additional disks. If you want to drive in Europe this is a useful way of collecting additional maps.

I do not believe MGR have one cheap Sat Nav option without free map upgrade as Nav Tech are driving the "free" offer in the hope of signing you up for the subs and getting you on the mailing list. I suspect what has happened is the garage are quite keen to hold onto your Nav Tech registration so they can get a freebie upgrade for one the "Directors" cars....

You can of course buy the maps from a variety of sources as follows:-

The hardware manufacturer www.vdodayton-shop.com/vdoshop/index.asp and
http://www.vdodayton.com/h_index.htm

Nav Tech http://www.navtech.com/index.jsp

friendly UK shop http://www.edworthys.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Patrick

tony
20-07-2002, 07:09
I registered with Navtech last year. They send me offers, but as yet no update disc.

I also was not given the hi-line navigation booklet on delivery, but my dealer found one with Rover Seventy Five on the cover when later pressed by me to do so.

A friend has recently taken delivery of a Citroen C5. He got 2 discs, the Navtech map disc and a firmware disk. Is there any way of telling which revision of firmware is in the navigation system on the R75/ZT, and any way of updating it?

SquareEyes
20-07-2002, 08:16
Latest info. I sent an e-mail to navtech explaining my situation and recevied an e-mail asking for my details. Within an hour they had registered me "behind the scenes" and an order was placed for a new disc FOC. I guess if you don't ask you don't get!!

Patrick
20-07-2002, 09:35
Tony,

The VDO system in the 75 is a modified VDO Dayton unit. These changes were specified by B M W. Now we all know that B M W drivers are mostly intellectually challenged and therefore the Sat Nav needs to be pretty damned simple for them to understand.

This is a real bummer becuase they have stripped out lots of useful functionality.

I have a VDO in our other car at it was the knowledge that the 75 also had a VDO system that persuaded me to order the Hi Line option.

I was really gutted to discover that it costs more, has a poorer display and less funtionality. But the TV is good and I draw some comfort from the thought that the only disappointment in the 75 is down to the hun!

Another drawback is that you do not get the systems disk and there is no way to upgrade the software. The full VDO system had an upgrade recently and very good it is to. You can now enter just the Street name and get returned all the Streets with that name in the UK. You can also use Post Codes in London.

On the map side, I get the impression that Nav Tech may be moving to annual updates the current one Autumn/Winter 2001. No mentionn of when the next is due on the web sire.

Cheers

Patrick

tony
20-07-2002, 12:02
Patrick,

Thanks for all that information.

I can't say I'm surprised or pleased to know that *** spoiled what could have been a much better system. The C5 one is so much more advanced that I'm left a little bit embarrassed by the lack of features in the MGR version. A least my car is way better all in other respects (except interior space).

And why is there no line input to this system, even though the TV menu appears to indicate that there should be one?

ricpearce
13-12-2003, 00:39
:) I have noticed that E.Bay have Sat Nav discs available on a fairly regular basis. Now, without wishing to initate a debate around copyright issues, all I can say is that I have found these discs to work OK, & could well save people a tidy packet ifyou are looking to travel over to France etc. My latest dic is TMC enabled & works a treat, all for 20.

For those worried about stealing much needed revenue from these poor hungry companies, some of the adverts are from people "advertising" genuine original discs.

As for me, well, I'll save the tears & spend the money on the kids.

All the best.

Richard :blush

Stefan
15-12-2003, 10:18
The sat nav system is updated by the T4? system, not by cd like the genuine VDO systems. The latest TMC encoded disk will allow you to input addresses by postcode on the MG/Rover system.

Stef

Seamaster
15-12-2003, 12:58
Originally posted by Stefan
The sat nav system is updated by the T4? system, not by cd like the genuine VDO systems. The latest TMC encoded disk will allow you to input addresses by postcode on the MG/Rover system.

Eh? :confused:

Glenn

Stefan
15-12-2003, 14:39
Sorry Glenn, which bit have I confused you about?

I think T4 is the name of the testbook diagnostic system that MG/Rover/Land Rover use on their cars, for programming, fault finding and interrogation of the ECU's.................

............and you already know about TMC, right?

Stef

Gas-Axe
21-12-2003, 08:37
Originally posted by ricpearce
:) I have noticed that E.Bay have Sat Nav discs available on a fairly regular basis. Now, without wishing to initate a debate around copyright issues, all I can say is that I have found these discs to work OK, & could well save people a tidy packet ifyou are looking to travel over to France etc. My latest dic is TMC enabled & works a treat, all for 20.

For those worried about stealing much needed revenue from these poor hungry companies, some of the adverts are from people "advertising" genuine original discs.

As for me, well, I'll save the tears & spend the money on the kids.

All the best.

Richard :blush

Got a full set in the 740 right now, all work a treat! :roll:

donegali
22-12-2003, 17:12
Originally posted by Stefan
............and you already know about TMC, right?

Stef

Noooo, I don't :(

I have the hi-line sat nav system (came with the + pack I think?) and I have to say I am totally confused. I bought the car second hand from a supposedly reputable dealer, I certainly haven't got any sort of a booklet for the sat nav. I have managed to find a phone number on the disk, turns out it is a company from Holland that will supply me a new disk at about 150.

However, how can I tell what model sat nav I have, and could someone explain what you all just wrote about :confused:

Thx

Ex-Member_A
22-12-2003, 17:34
Patrick/anyone - do you want to do this?? :D

Matt.

Stefan
22-12-2003, 18:27
Donegali,

AFAIK, the sat nav in your ZT is the same as everyone else's inc Rover 75 models. It is a BMW spec'd system (IE Very basic!!) and built by a company called VDO Dayton. It will accept map discs from either VDO Dayton or from a company called Navtech (the oem supplier to MG/Rover). The system you have is TMC (Traffic Message Channel) ready and all that is required is a TMC encoded map disc and Classic FM (100.3) as a preset on your stereo. Classic FM is the 'carrier' channel for the TMC transmission.

TMC is very similar to Traffic Master, in that it detects traffic flow from sensors, mobile patrols and general traffic data from other sources and is then transmitted via the Classic FM frequency to your radio. The sat nav detects these signals and when a TMC encoded disc is in the system, can then overlay your map with symbols giving visual notification of things such as roadworks, accidents, delays etc. An audible alert is also given, such as "Warning in 15 miles stationary traffic", it then 'offers' to find you a less congested route and re-plans your journey to your destination.

All in all, the system works very well and I have used it on several occasions to get me around traffic hold ups.

TMC will not work when you are listening to the radio, it only works on tape, CD or stereo turned off.

Hope that helps?

Stefan

:)

Patrick
23-12-2003, 02:00
If you have the colour screen in the dash and the alpine stereo then you should have a separate 50 page manual titled Audio & Navigation Systems. It is branded Rover 75 and is the only bit of literature I got with the car that actual mentions the Hun! (Rover Group Limited, a BMW Company!). The Part Number printed on the back is RCL0322 ENG.

Stefan is correct in stating that it is a VDO Dayton system that has been simplified at BMW's insistance. I am sure the logic is that anyone stupid enough to buy a BMW could not possibly cope with a full function Sat Nav system. I think this is very sound thinking by BMW! Having said that, on a more serious note, the Sat Nav from VDO (Philips actually) is very good and the missing bits are the "toys". What you do however get (thanks to BMW) is the upgrade to handle TMC and the telly!)

Two companies produce map discs; Tele Atlas and Nav Tech. Tele Altas are cheaper but also terrible. 90% of map discs for ALL Sat Nav systems are produced by Nav Tech. Nav Tech are quite happy to let other companies stick their own labels on so you can buy them called VDO or BMW, Land Rover etc. The discs will work in a wide range of Philips, Carin, VDO systems and these can be bought from a wide range of sources including direct from Nav Tech, VDO or the internet discount ICE retailers. There are also a lot of cheap ones on Ebay (search for VDO). Currently however I cannot find any for the UK.

I use http://www.car-audio-store-online.co.uk/ and they used to be much cheaper than buying direct. I did however order my TMC disc through them about 4 months ago and the saving was pretty small. Also see now that the base disks are hovering around 100 - I am sure I used to pay under 90!

Slight correction to Stefan. To get the TMC you need the radio tuned to Classic FM. You can either listen to this or listen to the CD or tape - but whatever you do the radio must be on tuned to Classic FM.

Hope this helps. If you cannot ger hold of a copy of the manual, I could send yo a phontocopy but it will be after Christmas and the New Year!

Cheers

Patrick

Stefan
23-12-2003, 10:02
Originally posted by Patrick
Slight correction to Stefan. To get the TMC you need the radio tuned to Classic FM. You can either listen to this or listen to the CD or tape - but whatever you do the radio must be on tuned to Classic FM.

Patrick, I have to slightly disagree with the above, as long as you have Classic FM as a stored station, you do not have to be listening to it as the 'active' channel, except when you are listening to the radio. For example I generally only listen to my local radio station Power FM, when listening to that I don't get TMC. If I switch to CD I get TMC, likewise with tape, but Classic FM only remains as a stored station and not one I have been listening too, if you catch my drift, so to simplify anyone I've confused........

TMC only works with a TMC map disc and Classic FM stored as a preset, if you listen to another FM station, TMC will not work (the tuner is not a diversity one). If you listen to tape or CD the TMC symbol will turn green and become active.

Stef

Patrick
23-12-2003, 10:30
Hi Stafan,

In total agreement!

I confess I am so old I prefer the like Radio 4 on most times I am driving - so feel very deprived that I cannot listen to Radio 4 and have TMC!

Perhaps that is why I prefer the 75 over the ZT!

Cheers and Happy Christmas to all

Patrick